Field +800

Bet The INDY 500

Posted : May 5, 2009 1:25 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Indy testing begins Tuesday for 6 rookies, 7 vets
May 4, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -Seven veterans who have had limited track time in the past year are expected to begin the Indianapolis 500 rookie orientation program along with six first-year drivers.

Former Champ Car Series champion Paul Tracy is among the veterans who will take part on Tuesday. Others are John Andretti, A.J. Foyt IV, Davey Hamilton, former winner Buddy Lazier, Alex Lloyd and Scott Sharp.

The six rookies are Robert Doornbos, Raphael Matos, Stanton Barrett, Mike Conway, Nelson Philippe and Alex Tagliani.

Full practice for the May 24 race begins Wednesday.

Posted : May 5, 2009 1:27 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Stanton Barrett seeks Indy 500 spot

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -There are no retakes here. Stanton Barrett has to get it right the first time, and every time.

The Hollywood stuntman with more than 200 movies and TV series to his credit, and probably just as many broken bones, torn muscles and assorted injuries, is trying to prove himself on auto racing's biggest stage as a rookie at the Indianapolis 500.

I've never experienced something like this,'' Barrett said Tuesday at the start of the two-day Indy rookie tests. ``I've been here in a stock car and I've had the opportunity to run the three IndyCar races and I have a lot better grasp what to expect about the cars, but you have to approach it like any other race: You make laps and get your seat time and you have your process of learning and building up to the point that you need to be.''

The 36-year-old daredevil grew up in a world of speed, thrills and danger.

His father, Stan Barrett, was a longtime Hollywood stuntman and NASCAR driver and 30 years ago piloted a rocket car at almost 740 mph, becoming the first person to break the sound barrier on land. His brother, David Barrett, also is a stuntman and a movie and TV director and producer.

Stanton Barrett also competes in extreme skiing, motorcycling, paragliding and surfing. He began racing in the NASCAR Nationwide series in 1992 and has driven in almost 200 races in that series and in NASCAR's elite Sprint Cup series. He joined the CURB/Agajanian/Team 3G in the IRL's IndyCar series this season, with a best finish so far of 12th in the season opener at St. Petersburg, Fla.

It's only scary driving a race car when they don't work and you have your hands full and you're on the edge all the time,'' he said. ``I'd have to say the stunt stuff is by far more scary when it comes to most of the things we do. But you have to respect both of them. They're both very, very worthy of respect and will definitely bite you if you don't.''

Barrett's film credits include ``The Dukes of Hazzard,'' ``Spider-Man,'' ``Jurassic Park,'' ``Blade,'' ``Batman'' and ``Volcano.'' Crashes and flips in that part of his career are part of the daily routine, just the sort of stuff he must avoid at Indy.

It just wears and tears on your body more than anything,'' he said of the pounding he's taken over the past 20 years. ``The broken bones and things like that heal, but it's the torn ligaments and muscles and tendons and the constant wear and tear on your body and your back, things that takes a long time to heal. I have other injuries that have come from motocross racing and skiing and snowmobile racing and things like that. Not all of it's from stunts.''

There's probably no part of his body that hasn't been injured at some time, he said. He wouldn't pick out his scariest moment, but he said one of his favorite stunts was a car flip he did in one episode of the 2002 TV series ``Fastlane,'' which was directed by his brother.

That was really cool, and I did some really great motorcycle stuff in 'Cradle 2 the Grave' and 'Batman.' ... I won stunt awards for a scene we did in 'Jurassic Park.' I've had a great, great career in Hollywood. ``

It's been a lot better than his career in auto racing, so far.

He won 21 of 28 go-kart races as a youngster, but in 174 Nationwide races since 1992, he's finished only six times among the top 10 and never in the top five. In 22 Sprint Cup races from 1999 to 2006 he never finished in the top 10.

This year, he's co-owner of a new team with veteran car owner Greg Beck and longtime motorsports marketer Steve Sudler. Full practice for the May 24 race begins Wednesday.

Barrett says finding sponsorship has been a struggle.

Right now we're kind of under the gun,'' he said. ``A lot of our stuff hasn't come together this week like it was supposed to, and we're still waiting on getting some money so we can get on the track. We've got to get through rookie orientation or we can't run the rest of May. ... So that's our No. 1 goal. No. 2 is to qualify for the Indy 500.''

And if that doesn't work out?

My brother called me and said. 'Man, stop racing. Come back to Hollywood, we'll be a great team,'' Barrett said.

But not just yet.

I enjoy doing both,'' he said. ``Film has provided me the opportunity to be able to keep racing. Right now I'm doing very few films, just a handful a year because of my schedule, but it's something I love to do. ... It's something I'm passionate about, and the same with auto racing. I don't plan on ever getting out of it, from driving to being a team owner and helping other people live their driving dreams as well.''

Of course, Hollywood has its benefits, even though he doesn't get the name or face recognition from the public as the stars he works with.

We still date a lot of the actresses and still have fame here and there. But that's not our deal,'' he said. We go in, do our job and get out and go have fun.''

Posted : May 6, 2009 7:57 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Doornbos fastest rookie at more than 221 mph

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -Led by 27-year-old Dutchman Robert Doornbos at a top speed of more than 221 mph, four of six Indianapolis 500 rookies have completed their mandatory driving test and have been cleared to begin full practice for the May 24 race.

Doornbos, Raphael Matos, Alex Tagliani and Mike Conway completed 10 consecutive laps in each of four speed brackets during the opening rookie session Tuesday. Nelson Philippe and Stanton Barrett began the test and will continue Wednesday. Pole-position qualifying is Saturday.

Doornbos' top lap was 221.735 mph.

The only faster drivers were veterans Paul Tracy at 223.089 and Scott Sharp at 221.735. Both were taking refresher tests because they have not competed in an Indy car this year.

Posted : May 6, 2009 7:57 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Rain halts Indy 500 rookie practice

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -Rain has halted rookie practice for the Indianapolis 500.

Only three drivers made it onto the track for about 45 minutes Wednesday. After a steady rain for the next five hours, the track was officially closed.

Drivers Nelson Philippe completed the mandatory rookie test before the rain hit. That leaves Stanton Barrett to finish his test to be eligible for the start of qualifications on Saturday.

Philippe, a 22-year-old Frenchman, also was the fastest in the abbreviated session at 217.668 mph. Rookies Mike Conway, Robert Doornbos, Alex Tagliani and Raphael Matos completed their tests Tuesday.

The third driver on the track Wednesday was veteran Alex Lloyd, who was allowed to practice with the rookies because he has not driven a race this season.

Posted : May 7, 2009 7:51 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Marco Andretti fastest in Indy 500 practice
May 7, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -Marco Andretti is the fastest driver after the first full day of practice for the Indianapolis 500.

Thirty-two drivers were on the track Thursday, with Andretti's top lap at 225.478 mph.

Penske teammates Helio Castroneves and Ryan Briscoe were next at 225.237 and 224.904, respectively, followed by defending champion Scott Dixon at 224.448 and his Ganassi teammate Dario Franchitti at 224.160. Robert Doornbos was the fastest rookie and seventh overall at 223.592.

The slowest was Stanton Barrett, who finished his rookie test and had a top lap of 218.089. Also, Townsend Bell landed a ride with KV Racing Technology as a teammate of Paul Tracy and Mario Moraes. Ryan Hunter-Reay crashed but was not injured.

Posted : May 7, 2009 11:14 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Penske Tops Fast Friday
Racingone.com

Roger Penske could be in line for his record 15th pole at the Indianapolis 500. On the final practice day before Pole Day, Team Penske's Ryan Briscoe and Helio Castroneves recorded the fastest laps on the 2.5-mile oval at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Briscoe was fastest with a lap at 39.8263 seconds, 225.981 mph, while Castroneves was second with a lap at 225.438 mph. Briscoe earned $10,000 from F.E. Harding Asphalt Companies for the fastest lap on Fast Friday.

The past two race winners, Target Chip Ganassi Racing drivers Dario Franchitti (2007) and Scott Dixon (2008), were third and fourth, respectively, while Andretti Green Racing's Danica Patrick was fifth.

The top 11 positions in the 33-car starting field will be determined Saturday. The pole winner has gone on to win two of the last three "500s." Positions 12-22 will be filled Sunday. The remainder of the field will be filled May 16, and Bump Day is scheduled for May 17.

Robert Doornbos and Scott Sharp were uninjured in the only two incidents of the day. Doornbos completed only 12 laps before his car made contact with the SAFER Barrier in Turn 2. He returned to the track late in the afternoon in a back-up car. Sharp recorded 25 laps before his car spun exiting Turn 1 and slid into the SAFER Barrier in Turn 2.

Posted : May 9, 2009 5:59 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Pole Day at Indy a guessing game
May 8, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -Pole Day qualifying for the Indianapolis 500 is the ultimate guessing game.

With six hours of time trials scheduled Saturday, when do you use one or more of your three chances to earn a spot up front for the May 24 race?

Until we see what the weather is tomorrow, we don't make a decision,'' said Roger Penske, whose team has won 14 poles and 14 races, both records at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

You have to see where you are in (the qualifying) line, what the competitors ... you have to beat are going to do and where are they in the line,'' Penske added Friday before the day's practice began. ``Do you go out when it's warm? Is it going to be cooler later? Is it going to rain? You have lots of variables.''

Thirty-one cars that have been on track this week will be eligible to take a run at the $100,000 pole on Saturday, the first of four days of time trials to fill the 33-car field.

The pole-winning driver will be the one who can put together the best four-lap average on the historic 2.5-mile oval.

Penske has three shots at adding a 15th pole, with two-time pole-winner and two-time race-winner Helio Castroneves, Ryan Briscoe and Will Power.

To do it, they will have to overcome more than nerves and changing track conditions. The National Weather Service forecast was calling for winds gusting from 15 to 25 mph.

The last time Castroneves won the pole was in 2007, when he managed to beat out Andretti Green Racing's Tony Kanaan despite having to deal with gusts up to 45 mph.

You've got to analyze what's going on in that situation and you just got to take (it) step by step,'' Castroneves said.

The wind was negligible on ``Fast Friday,'' but Castroneves, among the fastest competitors in practice, said it was still important to get as much track time as possible to prepare for qualifying.

You always learn something, even if sometimes you're not changing anything in the car,'' the Brazilian said. The track changes itself and you're about learning that day.

Whatever happens, you've got to follow what your instincts and the track is telling you to do. So, (you've) got to wait and see tomorrow. All we can do today is continue working a little bit on speed and see what happens.''

With so much track time there was nearly constant action, with 31 of 32 cars over 218 mph and some inevitable mishaps.

Rookie Robert Doornbos and former pole-winner Scott Sharp both crashed in single-car incidents. Both were immediately cleared by the speedway medical staff to drive. Doornbos, from The Netherlands, got into his backup car late in the day for six laps, getting up to 217.716. Sharp had to wait to try his backup Saturday.

Briscoe and Castroneves topped the speed chart with laps of 225.981 and 225.438, respectively.

Close behind were Target Chip Ganassi Racing teammates Dario Franchitti (224.984) and Scott Dixon (224.822), winners of the last two Indy 500s.

Danica Patrick (224.755) and Marco Andretti (224.724), teammates for Andretti Green Racing, were next, followed by Power (224.588) and 2005 Indy winner Dan Wheldon (224.357), in his first season driving for Panther Racing.

You know, yesterday we ran very safe and just got some confidence in the car, and I'm just taking little steps,'' said Power, who is being mentored by four-time Indy winner and longtime Penske driver coach Rick Mears.

Rick has been a huge help,'' added Power, in his second year at Indy but first with Penske Racing. ``I think he'll be there all month and we're looking for a good result at the end, not at the beginning.''

The top 11 cars will qualify Saturday, with 11 more on Sunday and 11 more next Saturday. After the field is full, the slowest qualified cars can be bumped out on next Sunday, the final day of time trials.

Patrick, who flirted with winning the pole here as a rookie in 2005 before starting fourth, said she is just focused on the first day of qualifying.

I want the pole pretty bad,'' she said. ``I at least want to be on the front row. It's all about keeping your cool all day.

It seems to be more an art form on Pole Day. The competition has gotten so close, especially with those 11 spots to fill. That can make some people really anxious.''

Castroneves, who has started second, first and fourth here the last three years, said he may not be as patient as some of the other drivers.

It's hard to predict,'' Castroneves said. ``With the rules (allowing) three attempts, no question it creates more competition. It gives you sometimes a little more edge to try to squeeze a little bit more, a little more speed into the car.

But Roger and (team president Tim) Cindric, we always talk before (about) what are our chances. We never take unnecessary chances. We always know what we need to do. It isn't like a secret. You just have to feel it.''

Posted : May 9, 2009 6:00 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Ganassi team among favorites for another Indy win
May 8, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -Mike Hull knows exactly why Chip Ganassi wins championships and big races like the Indianapolis 500.

A long time ago, when Chip did everything he could to get me to come to work for him - and I was kind of young and dumb then - he said, 'I will get you what you need to win. You work on the other part,' `` said Hull, now Target Chip Ganassi Racing's managing director.

The team owner has never gone back on his word and Hull has found ways to get his cars to Victory Lane with an uncanny consistency.

Hull joined Ganassi's team in 1996 and has helped lead it to four championships in the now-defunct CART Series, two IndyCar Series titles, two Grand-Am sports car championships, three victories in the Daytona 24-Hour race and two Indianapolis 500 wins.

The team has returned to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway this month with Scott Dixon and Dario Franchitti, winners of the last two IndyCar titles and the last two Indy 500s.

The first thing you need to have success (is) the guys that drive your race cars,'' Hull said earlier this week as his team worked toward Saturday's Indy Pole Day. ``You can't take a race driver that doesn't have the ability and put him or her ... on the best race team and meet your expectations.''

Hull said the drivers must also be single-minded.

The common denominator that they have to this day is they don't have outside interests,'' he said. They're only interested in one thing: working together to win more races. And that's what has marked us over the years with the two-driver combinations that we have had here.''

Almost everyone involved with the Ganassi team was surprised last summer when Dan Wheldon, who had joined the Ganassi team after winning the Indy 500 and the series title with Andretti Green Racing in 2005, decided to leave at the end of the season for a ride with Panther Racing.

Franchitti, who won his championship and Indy 500 in 2007 with AGR, had left IndyCar to try his hand at driving in NASCAR for Ganassi. But the stock car effort never found enough sponsorship and the money ran out in July, leaving Franchitti's racing future in limbo.

But with Wheldon leaving, Ganassi had the perfect answer.

Where would I have gone to find somebody better than Dario to fill that spot?'' Ganassi said earlier this season. ``It was just the right fit.''

And Dixon, already a good friend, was thrilled to have Franchitti return.

Dario is a good guy and a great racer,'' Dixon said. ``You don't have to like your teammates, but it helps if you can get along and share information and share the good stuff and the bad stuff. With Dario, it's all good. We have different styles in the race car, but we can really bounce things off each other and get something out of it.''

Although Franchitti insists he enjoyed his time in NASCAR and was making strides in figuring out the big, boxy cars, he can't hide his joy at being back in the IndyCar Series, and particularly being back at the Brickyard.

I tried to kid myself that I wasn't missing it,'' the Scot said. ``But I did find myself every day (last) May sitting in front of the computer watching the track feed, watching the lap times, speaking to Scott, speaking to Tony (Kanaan) on the phone and keeping abreast of what was going on. It was tough.

But this is as good a situation as you could find. Being teamed with Scott is good for both of us. It's made me raise my game already and it pushes me really hard. And I push him up to another level, too. It's a good fight, good fun.''

Franchitti is already a winner, having taken the checkered flag at Long Beach in his second race since returning to the open-wheel series.

Meanwhile, Dixon got off to a miserable start in his title defense, finishing 15th and 16th in the street races at St. Petersburg and Long Beach. But the New Zealander got things turned around two week ago, winning on the oval at Kansas.

Both Ganassi drivers are expected to be among the favorites heading into the May 24 Indy race. But past performance doesn't always mean much here.

It's a blank slate,'' Franchitti said. ``You've done well here in the past, (but) it's not a guarantee of success this year. You've got to prove yourself again.

And having a good month is only half the battle. You've got to show up on race day with the fast car that puts you in a position to win the race. Then you've got to do everything right over that whole day to get it done, and you've got to have some luck as well.''

Hull, who also directed Juan Pablo Montoya's win here for Ganassi in 2000, knows it takes all of that and more to swig the winner's milk at Indy.

You pinch yourself when you come here because you need to remind yourself how important it is to race here,'' Hull said. ``You really never know what's going to happen, and you get really down if you have a bad day. But a win here is like no other, and this is still the best place in the world to race.''

Posted : May 9, 2009 6:01 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Penske drivers 1-2 in early qualifying at Indy
May 9, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -Ryan Briscoe was the early leader Saturday in pole qualifying for the Indianapolis 500.

The fastest driver in practice this week showed the way on a cool, windy afternoon with a four-lap average of 224.131 mph.

Penske Racing teammate Helio Castroneves, a two-time pole-winner here, was close behind at 223.959 mph, while 20-year-old Graham Rahal clocked 223.266 mph to land on the outside of the tentative front row for the May 24 race.

Pole Day qualifying began at noon and was scheduled to run until 6 p.m., with 11 of the 33 starting positions for the 500 up for grabs. Eleven drivers completed qualifying runs in the first hour, but Justin Wilson's 220.934 mph run was disqualified because of an unapproved weight location.

With wind gusts up to 25 mph making the 2.5-mile oval more treacherous than normal, few of the early qualifiers were happy with their speeds.

But the unique qualifying format at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway allows each of the entries up to three completed attempts on each of the four days of time trials leading up to the 500.

Even Briscoe, who was pleased with his run, was thinking he might have to do it again later.

That's good, that's solid. It's a good start,'' the Australian driver said. ``I think, having gone reasonably early, it gives us a chance to get through tech early and get the car back and look at the setup and everything and see what we can do to go faster if we need to.''

Danica Patrick, who expected to have a shot at a spot on the front row, was confused and disappointed after a four-lap run at 221.785 that left her seventh among the early qualifiers.

I've never been this far off at Indy, never,'' she said. ``It really just was slow. ... We're going to have to think about it and be ready to go back out.''

Many of the 32 drivers who have been on the track since practice began on Wednesday, including Scott Dixon, last year's pole and race winner, opted to wait until later in the day, hoping the wind dies down.

Will Power, the third Penske driver, was fourth at 223.028, followed by Marco Andretti at 222.789, Mario Moraes at 222.470, Patrick, Hideki Mutoh at 221.680, Raphael Matos at 221.527 and Ed Carpenter at 221.272.

That's fine for the first run,'' said Power, who would love to give Roger Penske his first sweep of the front row since 1988 when Rick Mears, Danny Sullivan and Al Unser started up front. ``I hope we get another shot at it.

If we have a shot at the front row, (the team) may decide to send me out again. It's up to them.''

Andretti, the grandson of Indy legend and 1969 race winner Mario Andretti and son of longtime racing star Michael Andretti, said, ``If the wind keeps up, we might have to settle. I just hope it's good enough for the top 11.''

Among the drivers who had not made qualifying attempts were former Indy winners Dixon, Dario Franchitti, Tony Kanaan and Dan Wheldon, all among the fastest drivers in practice.

Posted : May 9, 2009 11:00 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Problems prevent Patrick, teammates off pole
May 9, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -Danica Patrick entered Pole Day as one of the favorites.

She left as a top 11 qualifier, barely.

The 27-year-old Illinois native had one of the fastest cars all week, but struggled Saturday, the first day of four qualifying days for the Indianapolis 500, along with her Andretti Green Racing teammates.

What happened?

In Patrick's case, the culprit may have simply been those unkind wind gusts that topped 20 mph most of the afternoon. She qualified 10th, matching the worst starting position she's had in five career starts on the 2.5-mile oval.

These are probably the worst conditions just because the wind is so much more influential and unpredictable, really,'' she said after her first qualifying run. ``It's cool today but not cold like it was that first day (in 2005). But this is kind of the furthest I've ever been off in qualifying, so I'm not very happy about that and very confused.''

Patrick did improve her lap speeds later in the afternoon, though not enough to substantially improve her starting position.

The biggest challenge: Figuring out why she, and her teammates, lost so much speed between Friday and Saturday.

Marco Andretti went into qualifying with the second-fastest car and was one of only three drivers to top 225 mph in practice. Patrick posted a fast-lap of 224.755 mph in practice this week, and was expected to contend for the pole along with Andretti.

Neither came close on a day the first 11 spots in the 33-car field were filled.

Patrick eventually withdrew her first four-lap average of 221.785 when it appeared she may get bumped and have to requalify to be in the top 11.

Her second run average was slightly better, 222.882, but not enough to satisfy Patrick, who was sitting in line for another run with two minutes left in the session. She eventually pulled out, a move that allowed England's Alex Lloyd to bump Japan's Hideki Mutoh on the day's final attempt.

It's just disappointing because you know that there's more speed,'' Patrick said. ``I sat in the car for an extra 30 seconds, and I'm like, 'Put a half turn of front wing in, let's just go back out again.' But it's just not that simple.''

Andretti wasn't himself, either. After briefly holding the pole with an average of 222.470, then sliding back to ninth on the starting grid, he withdrew the first speed and requalified at 223.114 to start eighth.

LUCKY 3S, UNLUCKY GUSTS: Scotland's Dario Franchitti likes the number three.

The 2007 Indy winner will start third again in the May 24 race, the third time he's been on the front row in six career Indy starts - all from the No. 3 position.

This, however, may have been Franchitti's toughest qualifying runs because of the gusty conditions.

How bad was it?

It was horrible,'' he said. ``You'd go through (turn) one and it would kind back you into two, and then you'd pick up this massive apex going into two. It was just very tough.''

Tough enough that Franchitti's team, Target Chip Ganassi, continually monitored the wind sock and flags around the track almost as often as they were checking temperatures, which can dramatically affect speed - just in case Franchitti needed another attempt to stay on the front row.

At 224.010, he didn't take another shot.'

PINK LLOYD: Alex Lloyd waited until the last minute, literally, to make a qualifying attempt.

The 24-year-old, who finished 25th in last year's race, made it pay off with an average of 222.622, to earn the 11th starting spot and perhaps end the continual jabs about his team colors.

Lloyd is wearing a pink fire suit and using pink car, thanks to the sponsorship from Her energy drink and now all those second- and third-day qualifiers are pink with envy.

I thought Pink Lloyd did a hell of a job. First of all, wearing that suit, it takes a real man,'' Franchitti said. In all seriousness, he wasn't comfortable in that car all day, from the conversations I heard, but he went out and did what he had to do.''

Lloyd is driving for Chip Ganassi and Sam Schmidt Motorsports, who have hooked up as partners for Lloyd's entry.'

SPARK PLUGS: Second-year driver Graham Rahal earned the No. 4 starting position, the inside of Row 2 with an average of 223.954. His father, Bobby, a team owner, started from the same spot when he won the 1986 Indy 500. ... Helio Castroneves' pole-winning run will give some fans a price break in Texas on June 6. The race is running a promotion called ``Helio's Blue-Plate Special,'' which reduces the price of 300 tickets in the frontstretch to correlate with Castroneves' starting position. After winning the pole, those tickets will cost $1. ... Ryan Briscoe, Graham Rahal and Scott Dixon are the only drivers to start in the top 10 in all four races this season. ... Three drivers crashed during practice Saturday. But 2005 Indy winner Dan Wheldon and rookies Robert Doornbos and Nelson Philippe were not hurt. ... Sarah Fisher will be in first in line for the second day of qualifying Sunday.

Posted : May 9, 2009 11:01 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Petty enjoys 1st competitive day as IndyCar owner
May 9, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -Richard Petty got a full immersion into Indianapolis 500 competition on Saturday.

There were tricky winds, delays between qualifying rounds and all those tenuous moments his team debated whether to send John Andretti onto the track. The visit even came with a ruling more reminiscent of Petty's NASCAR days - Justin Wilson's early penalty for failing post-qualifying inspection.

Maybe the seven-time Cup champion can't escape those stock-car roots after all, even when he's trying a new venture.

Still, The King of NASCAR seemed right at home on the classic 2.5-mile oval with his old friend Andretti driving on Pole Day as an IndyCar owner.

We finally, finally, got to come to the biggest race there is here,'' Petty said. ``Just to be around the crowd, seeing the cars and stuff, I think what fascinated me about the Indy deal is the cars more than maybe the people or the circumstances.''

It's not as if Petty is a newcomer to the track.

Petty's pilgrimage to Indy began when his father, Lee, brought his teenage son here in the mid-50s. Later in his career, Richard Petty returned to do autograph sessions and sponsorship appearances or to mingle with friends such as A.J. Foyt, who tried to coax him into driving a car. Last year, Petty even showed up as a spectator.

But this was a completely different environment.

For the first time in his long and illustrious racing career, Petty took a break from NASCAR's race day preparations in Darlington to watch the familiar Petty blue-and-red No. 43 car with the unfamiliar open cockpit drive around the historic oval. He headed back to the race Saturday afternoon.

Petty was his usual self throughout the day in a racing community that welcomed his arrival.

He wore a white cowboy hat, a blue oxford shirt, a jacket and, of course, those trademark sunglasses. He cracked jokes and reflected on the old days, even telling a story about the time Foyt handed him a pair of shoes so he could get into a car. They were size 7 and Petty wears 11 1/2.

It's good to have him here,'' Andretti said after running nine laps with a best speed of 218.538 mph. ``He brings a lot of people around him. He had a really good time, and that's what's important. He's done enough in his life he doesn't have to come, but to have him here is great.''

Petty noticed other changes around the track.

There's now part of a golf course on the track's infield. They added SAFER barriers to protect drivers. And those wooden garages Petty remembers so vividly have been replaced by concrete buildings.

The first time we really came to watch the qualifying and stuff, wasn't none of this modern stuff here,'' he said. ``They still had the old garage areas and it was like - I told them it was sort of like me going out behind the house, looked like a bunch of barns for horses and cows and stuff. Then you come back and you see all the deals of modernizing the racetrack. I guess time took care of everything.''

Even turning Petty, finally, into an IndyCar competitor.

Until Saturday, the first of four days of qualifying, Petty's only competitive events here had come in NASCAR's Allstate 400 at the Brickyard.

He plans to return for the Indy 500 on May 24. Otherwise, this could be the first and only time Petty finds himself coming here with something at stake.

This was sort of a one-shot deal, guys,'' he said.

But there is one thing that could keep Petty coming back.

If we come up and win the race,'' Petty said, drawing laughter. ``Circumstances can change. If we had a little success here, we'd be liable to get a little more interested.''

Posted : May 9, 2009 11:01 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Wheldon among 3 drivers to crash in turn 2
May 9, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -Rookie driver Nelson Philippe became the third driver to crash coming out of turn two during practice for the Indianapolis 500.

Philippe's car wiggled as he exited the turn, then slid up the track and hit the wall. Philippe climbed out of the car and walked to the ambulance.

It was the third crash Saturday, a day when gusty winds caused trouble for drivers on the 2.5-mile oval.

Dan Wheldon, the 2005 Indy winner and series points champ, crashed earlier in the afternoon, and rookie Robert Doornbos hit the wall in the morning practice session. It was the second time in two days Doornbos crashed.

Wheldon and Doornbos were both later cleared to drive.

Posted : May 9, 2009 11:02 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Indianapolis 500 Lineup
May 9, 2009

1. (3) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Honda, 224.864.

2. (6) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Honda, 224.083.

3. (10) Dario Franchitti, Dallara-Honda, 224.01.

4. (02) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 223.954.

5. (9) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Honda, 223.867.

6. (11) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Honda, 223.612.

7. (5) Mario Moraes, Dallara-Honda, 223.331.

8. (26) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Honda, 223.114.

9. (12) Will Power, Dallara-Honda, 223.028.

10. (7) Danica Patrick, Dallara-Honda, 222.882.

11. (99) Alex Lloyd, Dallara-Honda, 222.622.

(14) Vitor Meira, Dallara-Honda.

(20) Ed Carpenter, Dallara-Honda.

(00) Nelson Philippe, Dallara-Honda.

(8) Townsend Bell, Dallara-Honda.

(06) Robert Doornbos, Dallara-Honda.

(23) Milka Duno, Dallara-Honda.

(44) Davey Hamilton, Dallara-Honda.

(27) Hideki Mutoh, Dallara-Honda.

(13) E.J. Viso, Dallara-Honda.

(2) Raphael Matos, Dallara-Honda.

(4) Dan Wheldon, Dallara-Honda.

(91) Buddy Lazier, Dallara-Honda.

(41) A.J. Foyt IV, Dallara-Honda.

(67) Sarah Fisher, Dallara-Honda.

(15) Paul Tracy, Dallara-Honda.

(34) Alex Tagliani, Dallara-Honda.

(21) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Honda.

(18) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda.

(16) Scott Sharp, Dallara-Honda.

(24) Mike Conway, Dallara-Honda.

(43) John Andretti, Dallara-Honda.

(98) Stanton Barrett, Dallara-Honda.

Posted : May 9, 2009 11:03 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Servia fastest in Indy 500 practice
May 14, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -Oriol Servia was the fastest of 10 drivers in Thursday's practice hoping to qualify for the Indianapolis 500.

Servia's fast lap of 221.343 mph was seventh overall in the six-hour practice session at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, where most of the 22 drivers already qualified for the May 24 race shared track time with the drivers trying to find enough speed to make it into the 33-car field in time trials Saturday and Sunday.

The Spaniard, who finished 11th here last year as an Indy rookie, completed 73 laps in his first appearance on the 2.5-mile Indy oval this season.

Rahal Letterman did not take part in the first three IndyCar events this season due to lack of sponsorship and wasn't certain of racing here until last week. Servia lost his ride with KV Racing Technology at the end of last season due to lack of sponsorship and his ride with RLR wasn't made official until Wednesday.

People keep asking me if I felt any pressure getting such a late start,'' Servia said. ``But, the truth is this is the first day I've felt relief in five months.''

Next among the non-qualified drivers was Townsend Bell, who got his ride with KV late last week. He posted a lap of 220.938 as he worked to get enough speed to join two teammates already in the lineup - Mario Moraes, who led Thursday's speed chart at 222.739, and Paul Tracy.

Other fast drivers Thursday among the non-qualified entries included E.J. Viso at 220.085, Alex Tagliani at 218.986, Ryan Hunter-Reay at 218.894 and John Andretti at 218.721.

The 2.5-mile track was closed after the second round of qualifying ended last Sunday and didn't reopen until Thursday. That led to a busy day, with the already qualified drivers working on race-day setups and the non-qualified drivers working their way up to speed.

Among the other drivers on the track and yet to qualify were 1996 Indy winner Buddy Lazier, making his first appearance of the month, Milka Duno, hoping to join already-qualified Danica Patrick and Sarah Fisher in the lineup, and Indianapolis rookies Robert Doornbos, Nelson Philippe and Stanton Barrett.

Doornbos was back on track for the first time since hitting the wall in practice on Saturday, his second crash in as many days. Andretti, Tagliani and Philippe were also returning from crashes last week.

Mike Conway, another rookie, spent Saturday night in an Indianapolis hospital with bruised lungs and a slight concussion after a hard crash earlier that day. He was to be examined by track doctors Friday morning to determine if he could get back in a race car in time to attempt qualifying.

I'm feeling OK now,'' said Conway, a 25-year-old Englishman. ``I was sore on Tuesday, but I feel ready to get back into the car.''

Davey Hamilton, the slowest among the drivers already qualified at 221.956, also got on track late in Thursday's practice.

Ryan Briscoe, who will start in the middle of the front row, between pole-winning teammate Helio Castroneves and 2007 race winner Dario Franchitti, was second on the speed chart at 222.406. He was followed by two-time Indy winner Castroneves at 222.395, 2008 race winner Scott Dixon at 222.374, Tony Kanaan at 221.890 and Franchitti at 221.516.

Friday will be another full day of practice, with the final 11 positions scheduled to be filled on Saturday. Any remaining drivers can attempt to bump out the slowest qualifiers in the field on Sunday, the fourth and final day of time trials.

Posted : May 15, 2009 8:05 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: