Kahne on board with Red Bull Racing in 2011

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Kahne on board with Red Bull Racing in 2011

Mooresville, NC (Sports Network) - Kasey Kahne will drive a Red Bull Racing Toyota for the 2011 Sprint Cup Series season, the team announced on Tuesday.

It has not been determined which car number -- the No.82 or No.83 -- Kahne will drive for RBR next year.

"This opportunity places me with an established, competitive team that has proven it can win races and make the Chase," Kahne said in a statement. "I have great respect for Red Bull, so to have the opportunity to drive for the Red Bull Racing Team in 2011 is a great fit for me, both personally and professionally. It feels good to be able to finally put this to rest and focus my energy on finishing the season strong for the 9 [Richard Petty Motorsports] team and our sponsors."

Scott Speed currently drives the No.82 car for Red Bull, while Reed Sorenson has substituted for Brian Vickers in the team's No.83. Vickers is out for the remainder of the season due to treatment for blood clots. Boris Said drove the 83 last weekend at Watkins Glen.

RBR's final driver lineup for 2011 will be confirmed later this year.

"This obviously all happened very quickly," Red Bull Racing team vice president and general manager Jay Frye said. "Over the next few months, we will finalize the specific team details."

In April, Kahne signed a multi-year contract with Hendrick Motorsports to replace Mark Martin in the No.5 Chevrolet in 2012. He also informed team owner Richard Petty that he will not return as driver of the No.9 Ford next year.

It had been uncertain which team Kahne would driver for next season until now.

Team owner Rick Hendrick is in agreement with RBR to have Kahne drive for the team next year.

"Kasey is going to a competitive organization that made the Chase last season and has great leadership and resources," Hendrick said. "Of everything we looked at, he and I agree it's the best opportunity for him to be successful in 2011, which was always our number-one priority.

"The process went on longer than any of us anticipated, but I'm glad that we took our time to make sure it was right. And although I'm not looking forward to racing against him next year, I'm comfortable knowing this is the best situation for Kasey."

Kahne, 30, has recorded 11 wins and 84 top-10 finishes, as well as 17 poles, in 238 career Cup starts. He made the championship Chase in 2006 and '09. Kahne currently sits 17th in points.

Martin will continue to drive the No.5 car for Hendrick next year.

Posted : August 10, 2010 12:10 pm
Share: