Truex Jr. joining MWR in 2010

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Truex Jr. joining MWR in 2010

Cornelius, NC (Sports Network) - Michael Waltrip Racing announced Tuesday that Martin Truex Jr. will drive the No.56 Toyota with NAPA as the team's primary sponsor in 2010.

Waltrip will run a limited schedule next year, including the Daytona 500, an event he has won twice (2001 and '03). He will continue to drive the No.55 Toyota. Waltrip had contemplated his driving future throughout this season.

"As an owner, I knew there was a time that would come when I wouldn't be a full-time driver anymore, and that time is now," Waltrip said during a press conference held at his race shop.

NAPA will sponsor Truex and Waltrip in 2010.

"To me, it's always been about the sponsor and NAPA has been the greatest sponsor I could ever have, and I thought this was an opportunity to put them in victory lane on a regular basis, and that's why we're sitting here today," Waltrip added.

Truex, 29, has one victory and 34 top-10 finishes in 135 career Sprint Cup Series starts. His first win came in the 1997 spring race at Dover International Speedway. He also qualified for the title chase that year, finishing 11th in points. Truex is currently 24th in the standings.

"I'm looking forward to next year, and I think we're going to do really good things," Truex said.

Truex has spent his first four years in NASCAR's top-tier series with Earnhardt Ganassi Racing. Dale Earnhardt Inc. and Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates formed an alliance during the offseason.

Prior to his full-time Cup career, Truex won back-to-back Nationwide Series championships from 2004-05.

Waltrip formed his Cup team in 2007, fielding a three-car stable at the time. He has also owned a Nationwide team since 1996.

In May, David Reutimann won the rain-shortened Coca-Cola 600 at Lowe's Motor Speedway and gave Waltrip's organization its first Cup victory.

Waltrip currently holds the 33rd spot in points, while Reutimann sits in 14th.

Posted : July 10, 2009 7:07 am
Share: