Free Picks: Free Service Plays for Friday, August 4th, 2017

36 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chris Jordan

My free play for tonight is on the Los Angeles Dodgers, laying the chalk against the New York Mets. And in this one, be sure you're listing ONLY Los Angeles' Yu Darvish, who makes his debut with the team since being acquired at the trade deadline earlier this week.

While the hometown Mets fans will finally get their first glance at Amed Rosario, who has been playing here in Las Vegas with the Triple-A 51s, the real debut takes place on the mound, with Darvish toeing the slab.

I've heard so many people question Darvish's worth, because of his 6-9 mark and 4.01 ERA, but the same idiots don't take the time to read between the numbers and see what he's actually been doing.

Though he is 0-4 over his last six starts, he has allowed 2 or less earned runs in four of those games. He had two bad outings, and I don't think he gave a shit against Miami on July 26, when he was tattered for 10 runs - all earned. He hasn't cared since he knew he was being traded from Texas.

Now with a contender, Darvish will be his dominating self.

It begins tonight with the Dodgers, in Queens.

1* DODGERS

Posted : August 4, 2017 4:51 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brad Wilton

Friday's comp play selection is the Red Sox on the Run Line to pound the White Sox.

Boston took the series opener, 9-5 last night, as Chicago has now lost 8 times in their last 10 games. Of those 8 losses, 7 have come by 3 runs or more. As you can see, when they lose, the Pale Hose tend to lose BIG.

The Red Sox have plated 27 runs in their last 3 games - all wins - and all of the wins have come by 2 runs or more.

Both Carlos Rodon and Eduardo Rodriguez have struggled on the bump over their last 3 starts, but the difference tonight is one team is playing for a division crown, while the other is playing for next season.

Boston to blast Chicago.

5* BOSTON -1.5

Posted : August 4, 2017 4:52 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Eric Schroeder

My free play is on the Texas Rangers in a blowout of the Minnesota Twins.

The Rangers have fallen down the American League West ladder, from second to fourth following a 7-11 skid. But seeing how the Rangers won the opener of a four-game series against the Twins last night, when Joey Gallo's crushing three-run homer led to a 4-1 victory, I think we're in a good spot here with the Rangers.

Though I'm not listing pitchers, the fact remains we will have starting pitchers auto-listed, and I don't mind taking a team like Texas - with a slugger like Gallo - against a pitcher like veteran Bartolo Colon.

Take the Rangers on the run line.

5* RANGERS -1.5

Posted : August 4, 2017 4:52 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jack Brayman

My free play for Friday night is on the Milwaukee Brewers over the Tampa Bay Rays, and in this game I want you listing Milwaukee's scheduled starter: Brandon Woodruff.

Milwaukee's promising right-hander will finally get to make his MLB debut, as he toes the slab at Tropicana Field tonight.

This is a kid who should have already been in the lineup, as he was initially called up to the bigs, and was slated to start on June 13th. But he suffered a hamstring injury while warming up before first pitch.

He ended up spending 43 days on the disabled list, then was optioned back to Triple-A Colorado Springs.

Now he's back.

He is ranked as Milwaukee’s second-best prospect in Baseball America’s midseason update, and comes to Tampa Bay with improved mechanics, which has helped his plus-fastball that comes home in the low- to mid-90s. He gets late sink on his heater, and compliments it with an above-average slider and an average changeup.

Take Milwaukee today, and list the rookie pitcher.

2* BREWERS

Posted : August 4, 2017 4:53 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bob Balfe

Cardinals -105

The Reds have won more of the head to head games this year, but St. Louis is a much better baseball team and they have the much better starting pitcher on the mound tonight. Cincinnati is not a good baseball team and whenever we can bet against them at even money we will jump to that chance.

Posted : August 4, 2017 4:54 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

The Prez

Detroit Tigers at Baltimore Orioles
Play: Baltimore Orioles -127

Detroit at Baltimore on Friday night features two teams going in different directions. Despite the Tigers three wins in their first four games of their current road trip the franchise was a seller at the non-waiver trade deadline July 31st. The Orioles have win five of their last six event and have made a semi-serious move back into contention in the American League wild-card race. The Tigers currently rest six-games back of the second Wild Cards spot held by the Kansas City Royals with the Orioles sitting at 3.5 behind the second Wild Card slot.

First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. ET at Oriole Park on the Camden Yards field with the Tigers throwing Justin Verlander (6-7, 4.29 ERA) to the hill to oppose the Orioles Kevin Gausman (8-7, 5.37).

Verlander secured his sixth win of the season in his last turn with a 13-1 rout of the Houston Astros this past Sunday. In the quality start, Verlander pitched six innings, allowing zero runs on five hits while striking out six and walking three. As well as the right-hander has pitched at times this season he is not the pitcher he once was and isn't close to matching his stellar 2016 campaign that saw the former Cy Young winner receiving "best" American League pitching votes a year ago.

In truth, Verlander is a much different pitcher than he was just a season ago, with a decrease in his K/9 ratio which is down to 8.71 in 2017 after being 10-plus last season. JV is also walking over four batters per nine innings in 2017, nearly twice as many as last season, and his 4.78 xFIP does not suggest he will improve on his current numbers in the final two months of the regular season.

The most significant advanced metric different this year from last is his that he is allowing the highest percentage of hard contact (37) than at any point in his career.

Gausman is in the best form of his 2017 campaign. The O's righty earned a win in his last start allowing seven hits and three walks with eight strikeouts over 8 2/3 scoreless innings against the Texas Rangers. During the early stages of July, previous to the All-Star break, the right-began working on varying speeds more in his pitch sequencing and the change has been positive. Gausman has allowed one run over his last 20 2/3 innings and has posted a 24:8 K:BB ratio. His 10.3 percent swinging strike rate is in line with his career mark and he has upped his chase rate from just 22 percent to nearly 30 in his last six outings.

Posted : August 4, 2017 4:57 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: