1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bruce Marshall

Cleveland at Oakland
Pick: Oakland -1.5

We'll take a shot on the Run Line with Oakland at this fair price. Especially since Cleveland starter Carlos Carrasco has been inconsistent lately, allowing 18 runs over his last 24 1/3 IP (6.66 ERA). The A's have been ornery at times this season and starter Andrew Triggs, recently added to the rotation, was effective in his last start, allowing one run in 5 2/3 IP vs. the Rangers.

Posted : August 22, 2016 4:43 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Scott Delaney

My free pick is on the Arizona Diamondbacks against the Atlanta Braves, and I want you listing Mike Foltynewicz and Zack Godley in this game.

I like Arizona's right-hander here, as he rejoined the rotation in place of Patrick Corbin, after briefly being relegated to the bullpen. The last time out, against the defending National League champion New York Mets, Godley allowed two runs on five hits over 7 1/3 innings. Over his last three starts he is 1-0 with a 1.58 ERA.

Meanwhile, Foltynewicz comes in after once again being plagued by a high pitch count in his start against the Twins, last Wednesday, when he was unable to make it past the sixth inning for the sixth straight game. I don't trust the big righty in the desert and think he will have his hands full against the Snakes.

3* DIAMONDBACKS

Posted : August 22, 2016 4:44 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Gabriel DuPont

Complimentary play, I look to improve on my 107-84 run with free picks: Chicago (-1', -130) at SAN DIEGO.

The STORYLINE in this game today - The league-best Chicago Cubs are in San Diego to start the week, and why not open this series with a blowout win over the lowly Padres, who can't compare offensively. Now, I am taking the Cubs on the Run Line because of the pitchers involved, but do believe Chicago's power-packed lineup will be the big difference.

The X-FACTOR in making this choice on this game - Chicago's .266 road batting average ranks No. 2 in baseball, while it's .258 average ranks 13th in the league. As you can see, this is a team that thrives on the road. Chicago scores a lot of runs, ranking third in the bigs with 631 plated runs. In contrast, the Padres rank dead last this season with a .239 batting average.

BOTTOM LINE is - The pitchers in this game make it easy for me to take this one, as Chicago's Jon Lester may be a great hurler at home, but has been fantastic overall. He is 7-2 with a 2.01 ERA in 12 starts at home, and all have been quality starts. He's 6-2 with a 3.88 ERA on the road. His ERA is a difference, but he knows how to win. San Diego's Edwin Jackson was roughed up in Tampa Bay his last time. Since every MLB wager on a run line or total auto-lists pitchers, I want you to be sure the two pitchers on your ticket, when making this play, are Lester and Jackson. If they are not the pitchers of record when making your play, disregard this play.

2* CUBS -1.5

Posted : August 22, 2016 4:44 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brad Wilton

The last time the Cubs and Padres played, San Diego wound up taking the final two of their three game set at Wrigley Field.

Don't see that happening tonight, as Chicago does enter play tonight with wins in 5 of their previous 7, while Diego has dropped 6 of their last 9 on the year.

Jon Lester was the winner in the first Cubs-Padres game back in May, and does enter with a 13-4 season mark and is 4-0 over his last 6 starts, with just 2 runs or less allowed in 5 of the 6.

Edwin Jackson counters with a 3-2 mark with San Diego, but an over 5 ERA.

I say the Cubs get out of the gate strong tonight and take this one by at least a pair of runs.

3* CUBS -1.5

Posted : August 22, 2016 4:45 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chris Jordan

My free play for tonight is on the Boston Red Sox, to get it done on the road in Tampa Bay, against the last place Rays.

Price steps to the hill having won each of his last two outings, as he turned in quality starts in both outings. The veteran left-hander recorded eight strikeouts Aug. 12 - the most he has posted since his streak of three straight 10-strikeout starts in late June and early July. He is pitching well in the nick of time, and will lead the Sox in this one.

He should get decent run support, as Snell hasn't gotten through six innings in his last four outings. I know he hasn't allowed more than two earned runs in any of those appearances, but this is a tough task against a contending team.

Take the Crimson Hose and list both.

1* RED SOX

Posted : August 22, 2016 4:45 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Drew Martin

Atlanta @ Arizona
Play: Over

The opening number on this game was ridiculous so the 43 cent move we’ve seen toward Atlanta is more than understandable. However, at this price a mild case could be made for the Diamondbacks behind starting RH Zack Godley. The 26 year old has bounced from the minors, to the bullpen and to the starting rotation relentlessly over the past two seasons. Last week Godley was again moved from the pen to the rotation to take over LH Patrick Corbin’s spot. Godley immediately produced dividends going 7 1/3 innings allowing only 5 hits and 2 runs in the 13-5 victory. The 7 1/3 is a bit of a stretch for Godley who routinely lasts between 5-6 innings when he starts but the underwhelming Mets lineup couldn’t get to him. Atlanta’s lineup which has been improved since the All-Star break figures to be far more challenging tonight but they have never faced Godley which could him an edge. RH Mike Foltynewicz gets the nod for the Braves in this one and he’s been mediocre at best all season. His last seven starts have resulted in a 5.40 ERA, 1.42 WHIP and only two of those starts have gone beyond 5 2/3 innings. With Arizona owning MLB’s 8th best home OPS at .772, it’s likely the Braves will need at least 3 bullpen innings again tonight. Atlanta’s relief corps is currently a below average group and they were taxed in the Washington series the last two days so the back third of this game could be wide open for Diamondbacks run production. The same case can be made for the Atlanta offense vs. Arizona’s bullpen which makes the total more appealing than either side here. Current total is 9.5 -1.15 so a slight play on “over” is the call.

Posted : August 22, 2016 6:15 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: