Free Picks: Free Service Plays for Saturday, May 27th, 2017

45 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jeff Benton

We didn't see enough runs last night in the series opener between St. Louis and Colorado to land Over the total, and I doubt we will see enough tonight to see the middle game of this 3 game set clear the Over either.

Adam Wainwright will work against Kyle Freeland. Wainwright has been dealing - over his last pair of starts, 13-plus innings pitched with 9 strikeouts and just 1 earned run scored. True, 7 of his 9 starts this season have played Over the total, but the totals at Coors Field always give you a little more "cushion", so I will put his recent dominance out there for a test drive against the emerging Kyle Freeland.

Freeland has made 9 starts this year, and 7 of his 9 on the season have ended up holding Under the total. All 4 of his starts this year at Coors Field have ended up Under the total, and his season ERA is 3.31.

The Rockies have now played their last pair of games Under the total, while the Cardinals have played Under in 4 of their last 6.

Series numbers show 7 of the last 10 played between the teams having landed Under as well.

Redbirds and the Rockies Under on Saturday night.

2* ST. LOUIS-COLORADO UNDER

Posted : May 27, 2017 12:38 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Eric Schroeder

My free winner for Saturday is on the Houston Astros, who welcomed the Baltimore Orioles to town last night, and won with ease.

The Orioles have lost five in a row, including a three-game sweep at the hands of the Minnesota Twins in Baltimore, and last night's tough-luck loss.

Baltimore is struggling offensively right now, and does not look like the home run powerhouse we've become used to over the years. The Orioles, who rank third in the majors this season batting .306 with runners in scoring position, are hitting just 6-for-32 (.188) in that situation, during their skid.

That won't help when going up against a Houston offense that is averaging .266 this season, ranking fifth in the league. The Astros also rank seventh in the bigs with 239 runs plated this season.

Take Houston tonight, as it gets past the O's.

5* ASTROS

Posted : May 27, 2017 12:39 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chris Jordan

My free pick for tonight is on the Miami Marlins, despite their offensive struggles. While I know they're 17-29 and have lost 21 of their past 28 games, they exploded for an 8-5 win last night in their series opener against the Angels, who are in for the weekend from Anaheim.

And while the Marlins have had their share of losing, the Halos have now lost three in a row.

The Angels are playing their ninth road game in as many days, after losing two of three in Queens, to the Mets, splitting four in Tampa Bay and then losing the opener last night in South Beach.

I'll take a chance with the home underdog in this one, as Miami will get another W, and send the Halos to their fourth straight defeat. Don't bother listing pitchers.

1* MARLINS

Posted : May 27, 2017 12:39 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jack Brayman

My free pick for today is on the the Chicago White Sox, over the Detroit Tigers in the 5:40 p.m. eastern game, and I want you listing Pale Hose starter Tyler Danish only.

Danish made his MLB debut in 2016, making three relief appearances for the White Sox, but now he gets to his make his first big-league start.

The right-hander had a 3.15 ERA in eight starts at Triple-A this season, with 23 strikeouts over 45.2 innings, and now brings an excellent arsenal to the South Side.

This kid has made it a point to perfect his knack for inducing groundballs, and does so with a sinker he pounds the zone with, while mixing in his heater.

Detroit has struggled at the plate, having lost 16 of 27. And on the road, it's hitting just .227, which ranks 25th in the league. The Tigers arrive from Houston, and will be playing their fifth road game in as many nights, not counting last night's rainout. Detroit will also be playing its 12th game in 11 nights, as this is the second game of a doubleheader.

Take the ChiSox.

3* WHITE SOX

Posted : May 27, 2017 12:40 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dave Essler

Toronto -110

I think the Rangers are in full regression mode. I had to hesitate, not based on the starters, but based on Texas getting those late runs last night. I see that Toronto didn't use Grilli, and Osuna threw only five pitches. So, it looks to me like a pitchers' duel that Toronto's back end has the big advantage. The Jays are about as healthy has they've been this season - and Darvish tends to be feast or famine in that it's fly balls or strikeouts, and in this park against this team that may not be a good thing. At home and against some great hitting teams, Estrada has allowed two HR's in 25 innings and held opponents to a .202 batting average - the Rangers are 8-17 on the road, losers of four straight, and as I said earlier, I think reality is setting in for them. Darvish might make it harder on Toronto than some other starter(s) might, but it won't be enough, IMO. The big move in this line is because Tulowitzki AND Donaldson are not in the Jays' lineup. Cannot make this stuff up.

Posted : May 27, 2017 12:41 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

ASA

Kansas City +165

The Tribe have lost 3 of their last four games and put up 4 or less runs in those three L’s. KC has won 2 of their last three including a win last night over the Indians 6-4. The Royals put up 6 runs in their last two wins. We like the lefty Vargas here for the Royals who is 5-3 on the year with a WHIP of 1.04 and an ERA of just 2.30. Plus, Cleveland is hitting just .221 as a team against Southpaws this season. Facing the Royals is righty Danny Salazar who has a WHIP of 1.55 and ERA of 5.55 on the season, but 8.78 ERA in his last three starts. Not to mention the Royals hit righties better than lefties on the season. Nice spot for an UNDERDOG win!

Posted : May 27, 2017 12:41 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bryan Leonard

Cincinnati at Philadelphia
Play: Cincinnati +118

We know backing Bronson Arroyo isn't a pretty thought, but in this situation there is plenty of value on the veteran. While the pitching edge is for the Phillies we would much rather have the Cincinnati bats in this contest. The Phillies are really struggling offensively with key components not only batting down in the order, but resting on a regular basis. The Reds are the better team catching the underdog price here.

Posted : May 27, 2017 12:43 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Executive Sports

Cincinnati at Philadelphia
Play: Cincinnati +118

MACKANIN is 12-31 against the money line in home games after having lost 6 or 7 of their last 8 games as the manager of PHILADELPHIA.

PHILADELPHIA is 3-17 against the money line after having lost 2 of their last 3 games this season.

CINCINNATI is 11-5 against PHILADELPHIA over the last 3 seasons, 3-1 this season.

CINCINNATI is 9-3 against the money line after having won 3 of their last 4 games this season.

Posted : May 27, 2017 12:43 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dwayne Bryant

New York at Pittsburgh
Play: Pittsburgh -134

The Pirates took an 8-1 beating in the series opener last night, but I'm expecting a bounce-back tonight behind Gerrit Cole. Cole has been a beast at home this season, sporting a 1.67 ERA and 0.78 WHIP. Mets hitters own a career combined .590 OPS and .269 wOBA in 46 plate appearances against Cole. Cole is also in a bounce-back spot after getting rocked for 5 runs and 10 hits (2 homers) in just 4 2/3 innings at Atlanta in his last start. The Pirates' bullpen has also been the better performing pen of the two this season, and the Mets pen has been especially awful on the road (7.11 ERA, 1.71 WHIP).

Posted : May 27, 2017 12:44 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Carmine Bianco

New England at New York
Play: New York -143

Saturday's Free Play is with the Red Bulls who look to snap a 4 game winless streak and do it at home where they were one of the leagues best last season. They've gone 7-2-1 against the Rev at home their past 10 and that should continue on Saturday as this Revolution side just seems to not be able to carry their home form away. This season they've gone winless in 6 away (4 losses 2 draws) and failing to score in 3 of those.

Posted : May 27, 2017 12:44 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

TJ Pemberton

Cardinals vs. Rockies
Play: Cardinals +100

The St. Louis Cardinals are 3rd in the NL Central with a 23-21 record on the season. The Cardinals are 4-6 over their last ten games and lost to the Dodgers 7-3 on Thursday. St. Louis is 11-8 on the road this season and have won four of their last five games against the Rockies. Two top pitchers will battle it out on Saturday evening. Wainwright is a beast on the hill and throws very quality stuff when facing the Rockies. Expect the balls to be flying as they usually do in Colorado but give the Cardinals the edge.

Posted : May 27, 2017 12:46 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dave Essler

Bewers +1.5 -135

This is another "don't make no sense" - 95% of the ML and RL tickets are on Arizona, as you would certainly expect with Grienke on the mound. And yet, you can get a better price on the Brewers now than you could have when it opened. Pinnacle (sharp) has .10 better and Greek (a book who does not move on air) has a .12 better number. I'm not sure I've got the balls to play the ML, but the RL is cheap enough - or, you could split, or don't agree and do nothing. Even Bovada has a better number - so, lemming we will.

Posted : May 27, 2017 12:50 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

BRAD DIAMOND

Braves +117

The public was once again surprised last night with the Giants (20-30) losing their series opener to Atlanta. San Francisco seemed red hot there for a while but, have slumped badly. To support their woes the pitching staff has fallen off ranked #9 in ERA and #9 in earned runs allowed in the National League. They are 12 games out of first place in the NL West. Atlanta after winning Friday is now 7-1/2 back in the NL East and despite their losing record appear to be above some expert’s forecasts for this season. No matter, the Giants opened as the chalk last night and are once again getting some play out on the Strip. The reason is lefty hurler Blach (2-2, 4.10) is starting for the home club and the youngster has done well early. He is coming off a win Monday over the fading Cubs out in Chicago, however, this is his initial effort versus the Braves.

Starting for Atlanta (21-25) is RHP Foltynewicz (3-4) who earlier this week posted a key divisional win 5-2 over Pittsburgh. The youngster has hit the bump twice out in San Francisco illustrating a 1.88 ERA with a solid 0.837 WHIP. Overall in is road starts Foltynewicz has thrown 24-2/3 innings with a 1-2 mark and a very competent 2.55 ERA (1.14 WHIP). Technically, the Braves come in a PERFECT 8-0 against National League West and 20-7 in game #2 of a series. They have won 5-of-6 on the road. Opposing San Francisco (incredible) brings an 0-5 record L5 times.

Posted : May 27, 2017 4:06 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

VIC DUKE

Cardinals vs. Rockies
Play: Over 10½

Cardinals/Rockies 9:10: This series has gone 2-6 O/U in the last 8 meetings; moreover, in Colorado, 1-5 O/U. We'll stay "under" tonight with two pitchers who should take charge in their respective roles: Wainwright, after a sluggish start, is on a 4-0 run allowing just 1 run over his last 13 1/3 IP. And he's a sweet 9-1 vs the Rockies, including 3-0 at Coors with a 1.70 ERA. Colorado counters with lefty Kyle Freeland who has pitched well at home with a 3.80 ERA and has a respectable 3.27 ERA at night. The Cardinals have struggled vs lefties at .222 BA driving in just over 3 RPG. This is the first time the Cardinals face Freeland and we'll look for them to continue their run producing woes.

Posted : May 27, 2017 4:07 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

JESSE SCHULE

Dodgers -158

The Dodgers are a big favorite at home versus the Cubs Sunday afternoon, but not as big of a favorite as we normally see when Clayton Kershaw takes the mound at home.

Kershaw (7-2, 2.01 ERA) tossed a complete game, allowing one run on three hits with 10 strikeouts at home against the Cardinals his last time out. He's 3-1 with a 1.93 ERA in five home starts, and 2-0 with a 0.64 ERA in two starts in the afternoon in 2017. The Cubs lineup is hitting a minuscule .155 over a combined 84 at bats versus Kershaw.

The Cubs hand the ball to Jon Lester, who hasn't been all that sharp on the road. Lester (3-2, 3.19 ERA) tossed a complete game, allwwing one run on four hits with 10 strikeouts in a home win over the Giants his last time out. He's 0-2 with a 5.73 ERA in four starts away from Wrigley.

The Dodgers have a history of struggling versus left-handed pitchers, but they are 6-1 in their last seven versus southpaws.

Posted : May 27, 2017 4:08 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: