Free Picks: Free Service Plays for Sunday, August 7th 2016

37 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Scott Delaney

Real quick here, with my free play for Sunday, as I like the Tampa Bay Rays over the Minnesota Twins in American League action. And in this game, be sure you're listing Matt Andriese over Kyle Gibson.

Tampa Bay's young right-hander has a little bit of something to prove here, as henwas inserted back into the rotation after Matt Moore was traded to San Francisco.

Andriese is 5-1 as a starter with a 2.87 ERA and is reportedly set to throw between 80-90 pitches against Minnesota today. I think he may stretch those pitches across roughly seven frames, and will deliver a gem.

I don't know if I trust Gibson, who was given a big lead against the Indians, but he couldn't get out of the fifth inning and ended up with a no-decision, as the right-hander lasted 4 2/3 innings after allowing six runs on 10 hits.

Take the Rays in this one.

4* RAYS

Posted : August 7, 2016 12:17 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Gabriel DuPont

Complimentary play, I look to improve on my 96-80 run with free picks: Angels at MARINERS (-120).

The STORYLINE in this game today - My free play tonight is on the Seattle Mariners minus the money against the Angels of Anaheim, and I do not want you listing pitchers, as this is all about momentum. Right now, the 'mo' is working against the Halos, who have lost three in a row. I don't know what's going on with the Angels' bullpen, but they're horrendous right now and probably need to get home to get in their comfort zone.

The X-FACTOR in making this choice on this game - The key here is Seattle left-hander James Paxton. I know, I know. I said DON'T list pitchers. But just because I'm not insisting on the pitchers, doesn't mean one won't make a big difference for us. Paxton is scheduled to go, so it makes sense to analyze what we're working with. He allowed just one run over eight innings his last time out and should be fired up for Mike Trout's birthday.

BOTTOM LINE is - Speaking of bullpens, while the Angels have struggled with theirs, the Mariners bolstered theirs with solid moves, adding two relievers in right-hander Arquimedes Caminero and switch-pitcher Pat Venditte on Saturday. The M's are in the right spot to score a win here.

4* MARINERS

(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jack Jones

Philadelphia Phillies -102

The Philadelphia Phillies will win this series with the San Diego Padres with a victory in Game 3 here Sunday due to the edge they have on the mound.

Jerad Eickhoff is one of the more underrated starters in the National League. He has posted a 3.68 ERA and 1.21 WHIP in 22 starts this season, including a 3.18 ERA in his last three starts. Eickhoff is 1-0 with a 0.00 ERA in one career start against San Diego as well.

Jarred Cosart is still looking for his first victory this season. He has gone 0-1 with a 5.09 ERA and 1.826 WHIP in five starts this year. He is only averaging 4.6 innings per start as well.

Philadelphia is 4-0 in its last four games following a loss. The Phillies are 12-5 in their last 17 vs. a team with a losing record. The Padres are 0-7 in their last seven games following a win. San Diego is 19-41 in its last 60 Sunday games.

(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jimmy Boyd

Yankees +101

This is a great price to back New York at home with their ace Masahiro Tanaka on the mound. Tanaka has a strong 3.40 ERA and 1.12 WHIP in 22 starts and should have no problem keeping the Indians offense in check. Cleveland will counter with Carlos Carrasco, who is coming off an ugly start at home against the Twins, where he gave up 8 runs on 9 hits and 2 walks in just 3 2/3 innings of work.

Cleveland is just 3-8 in their last 11 after a win, 0-4 in their last 4 against a starter with a WHIP less than 1.15, 0-7 in their last 7 after scoring 2 runs or less and 1-6 in their last 7 against the AL East.

Posted : August 7, 2016 12:18 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Stephen Nover

NY Mets -130

The price is low enough to get into play with a pitching mismatch of Jacob deGrom versus Anibal Sanchez.

The Tigers have never faced deGrom, who has a 1.69 ERA since the All-Star break and has been the Mets' best pitcher. The key arms in the Mets' bullpen are rested. In nine career interleague starts, deGrom has a 2.25 ERA.

Sanchez hasn't been good the last four years since losing speed off his fastball. He's 6-11 with a 6.26 ERA this season, only in the rotation because of multiple injuries to Detroit's pitchers. This will be Sanchez's 12th lifetime start versus the Mets. He has a 4.45 ERA against them.

Posted : August 7, 2016 12:21 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brandon Lee

Rangers -115

Texas is worth a look here as they will have ace Yu Darvish on the mound against Houston's Joe Musgrove. Darvish has been getting better and better with each start since returning from the DL and simply been unfortunate with Texas losing each of his last 3 starts. A stretch where he's allowed just 7 runs and struck out 26 in 18 1/3 innings. Musgrove on the other hand is making his MLB debut as a starter. I know he pitched well in relief against the Blue Jays recently, but the pressure of starting a game is completely different. I look for him to struggle here against a potent Rangers offense.

Posted : August 7, 2016 1:21 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dave Price

Houston Astros +110

I like the price we are getting with the Houston Astros as home underdogs to the Texas Rangers today. They aren't getting much respect because Joe Musgrove will be making his first career start. But he's a stud and pitched 4 1/3 scoreless innings while striking out 8 batters in relief on Tuesday. He was also dominant in the minors and deserves a spot in the rotation as Lance McCullers recovers from injury. Yu Darvish is 0-2 with a 7.20 ERA in his last 3 starts against Houston. The Rangers are 0-6 in Darvish's last 6 road starts. The Astros are 56-27 in their last 83 home games vs. a right-handed starter.

Posted : August 7, 2016 1:22 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: