Free Picks: Free Service Plays for Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017

35 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jack Brayman

My free winner for Tuesday is going to be the Chicago Cubs over the Cinncinati Reds, and since the line is too high to play straight, I'm taking the champs on the Run Line.

Since every MLB wager on a run line or total auto-lists pitchers, I want you to be sure the two pitchers on your ticket, when making this play, are John Lackey and Homer Bailey. If they are not the pitchers of record when making your play, disregard this play.

I won't get into this much, as it's just a comp pick, and I shouldn't be spending as much time on this game as I already have, but Lackey is superior pitcher and I've never been a fan of Bailey.

Lackey has a 3.06 ERA in six starts since the break, while Bailey just faced Chicago and looked horrific with his lack of command, walking five in 5.2 innings and allowing a grand slam in the first inning.

All Chicago here.

5* CUBS

Posted : August 22, 2017 5:25 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brad Wilton

Tuesday's comp play is the White Sox over the Twins.

The teams split a pair yesterday, and while the Twins have been red-hot and are now holding down the second A.L. Wild Card spot, I think Chicago's Lucas Giolito will have a bang-up debut for the Pale Hose.

Giolito was the center piece in last season's trade with Washington for Adam Eaton, and now he will make his debut for Chicago.

Paul Gibson will oppose and he has lost 4 of his last 5 starts, and could only last 4 innings in his last start. Gibson's season ERA is over 6, so look for the Sox to play some loose baseball tonight, as they give Giolito some support and make his Chicago debut a night to remember.

White Sox with the Tuesday win.

3* WHITE SOX

Posted : August 22, 2017 5:25 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Eric Schroeder

My free play is on the Atlanta Braves over the Seatlle Mariners, in Interleague play. And be sure to list the scheduled starting pitchers: Lucas Sims and Marco Gonzales.

Sims steps to the hill after an effective five-inning effort against the Colorado Rockies at Coors Field, which resulted in his first win. I like the right-hander tonight, as he looks to continue to prove he has belonged in this rotation, and can do so by neutralizing the Mariners with his steadily improving curveball.

Gonzales, meanwhile, hasn’t lasted through the fifth inning of any of his three starts since joining the rotation in place of Felix Hernandez. Baltimore stroked nine hits off the southpaw, over 4.1 innings, in his last trip to the hill.

Take Atlanta tonight, and list both.

3* BRAVES

Posted : August 22, 2017 5:26 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Ben Burns

Boston vs. Cleveland
Play: Cleveland

While the price may initially seem steep, this is a mismatch. Carrasco, 12-5 with a 3.76 ERA and 1.128 WHIP, is in excellent current form. He's recorded 19 K's against just two walks his last two starts. In that 13-inning span, he's given up just one run. On the other hand, Fister is 2-4 with a 6.27 ERA in seven starts. In two road starts, that number climbs to 7.27 to go along with a 1.73 WHIP. Last time out, facing these same Indians, he walked four batters in 4 1/3 innings. He also gave up seven hits and five earned runs. Yikes. While Carrasco, who is backed by an excellent Cleveland bullpen, missed that series, the Indians will now see Fister for the second time in eight days, the third time since the end of July. Expect Carrasco to outpitch and outlast Fister, en route to a victory for the home team.

Posted : August 22, 2017 5:27 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

OC Dooley

Red Sox / Indians Over 8.5

Cleveland's vaunted bullpen has taken a major hit as star reliever Andrew Miller earlier today was placed back on the disabled list with elbow problems. There are also rumors floating that Boston star closer Craig Kimbrel is not available for tonight's contest. I am aware that tonight's Cleveland starter Carlos Carrasco is enjoying a career year and has Top 10 rankings in wins, ERA, strikeouts and opponents batting average against. But for whatever the reason Carrasco long term is an incredible 12-2 OVER the total in HOME/NIGHT setups such as this

Posted : August 22, 2017 6:19 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: