Free Picks: Free Service Plays for Tuesday, August 23rd, 2016

33 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jeff Benton

Your Tuesday freebie is the Tigers to get things cranking again against the Twins.

Detroit is just 4-6 their last 10 games, but they are playing this game off a confidence-boosting 10-5 romp of Boston on Sunday to split their 4-game set with the Red Sox.

Now Detroit gets a Minnesota team that just dropped all 4 in Kansas City, and is just 3-9 overall their last 12 games.

Neither Anibal Sanchez nor Kyle Gibson has been "lights out" this season, so I think we can expect both teams to get some hits and runs off of the hurlers this evening.

Bottom line is Detroit simply cannot afford too many more losses is they want to be playing into the month of October.

I say lay the small wood with the Tigers over the Twins.

2* DETROIT

Posted : August 23, 2016 4:24 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Scott Delaney

My free play for tonight is on the Cincinnati Reds over the Texas Rangers, as the two open their Interleague series at Great American Ball Park afte the Reds had a surprisingly good weekend against the Los Angeles Dodgers. That momentum and a pitching mismatch is what has me siding with the home team here.

List both scheduled starters: Dan Straily and Derek Holland in this one.

Since the break, the Reds' right-hander is 5-0 with a 2.25 ERA in seven starts - and all seven have been won by Cincinnati. During a 5-4 win where he pitched six innings versus the Marlins and allowed two runs, he used an impressive slider. I think his off-speed stuff will get to the Rangers.

Holland, meanwhile, is on the hill after a stint on the disabled list and will be making his first start since June 20. He made three starts on rehab assignment, allowing five runs in 10 innings. But here's the thing, he is 3-5 with a 4.48 ERA in Interleague Play, and he will be batting in this one.

Take the Reds tonight.

4* REDS

Posted : August 23, 2016 4:24 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

3G-SPORTS

Rockies vs. Brewers
Play: Over 9

After falling short with the over in this match-up yesterday (teams combined 2 for 12 with runners in scoring position), I will come right back with it today as my free pick. The Rockies send Jon Gray to the mound and he is winless with a 13.50 ERA and a 2.33 WHIP in his last 3 starts. The Brewers will have Chase Anderson on the mound and he has a 5.29 ERA in his 9 career starts against Colorado In their last 3 starts both of these starting pitchers have a combined ERA of 18. The Rockies offense is very good and Both teams should be able to put up some runs sending this game over.

Posted : August 23, 2016 4:26 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: