47 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Nick "BookieKiller" Parsons

Cleveland vs. Toronto

For a number of different reasons I feel the value in this one is on the Cavaliers as they use the Raptors as their punching bag to erase memories of last nights defeat at home at the hands of the Celtics:

Shaquille O’Neal had 10 points - just two after halftime - and 10 rebounds for the Cavs, who have now lost three consecutive season openers.

Lebron James finished with 38 points, eight rebounds, four blocks and made four 3-pointers, but no other player on the team scored more than 12. I look for the rest of the "cast" to play with a much more concerted effort this evening after last nights poor showing.

The Cavs have won nine of their last 10 meetings with the Raptors. The only time they lost in that span - a 91-82 defeat Nov. 30, 2007, in Toronto - James sat out with a sprained left index finger.

The five-time All-Star is averaging 31.1 points on 52.5 % shooting in his last nine games against the Raptors.

On the other side of the court: After winning the Atlantic Division in 2006-07, and making a return trip to the playoffs the following year, Toronto had high hopes for last season but never got in sync and finished 33-49. Because of that the Raptors added guard Jarrett Jack and power forward Reggie Evans, and selected Southern California swingman DeMar DeRozan with the ninth pick of the draft, but Hedo Turkoglu is the most significant addition of them all.

This was all done in an attempt to keep Chris Bosh in Toronto as he becomes a free agent after this season.

Bottom line: Last night I said it would take time for Lebron and Shaq to "gel", and of course it still will; however I believe Lebron is going to take it upon himself to dictate the tempo of this game and look for the rest of the "supporting cast" to "up" the level of their collective games.

Toronto is going to be a "work in progress" for a while and I expect Cleveland to take advantage tonight; play on the CAVALIERS! 9*

Posted : October 28, 2009 2:38 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

igz1 sports

4* Cleveland -5.5

Posted : October 28, 2009 2:56 pm
(@mhiked)
Trusted Member

Hey Blade,

I appreciate your posts, did you see any news/notes for tonights football game.
Thanks and sorry for the clutter!

Posted : October 28, 2009 3:31 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Evan Altemus

New York Knicks @ Miami Heat
Pick: 3 units: Under 208.5

New York was known for its high scoring and fast paced tempo last season, but they seem to be slowing things down much more. In addition, offenses are out of sync at the start of the season, so I expect it to be very difficult for these two teams to have a high enough shooting percentage to send this game over the total. Miami is not an up and down team as well, which makes it much harder for this game to go over the total. In addition, the Heat are playing at home, so they will look to control the tempo and play the game at a slower pace. Take the under.

Posted : October 28, 2009 3:36 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hey Blade,

I appreciate your posts, did you see any news/notes for tonights football game.
Thanks and sorry for the clutter!

No Football tonight chief, UNC/VT game is tomorrow night. 8)

Posted : October 28, 2009 3:37 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dave Malinsky

4* DETROIT/MEMPHIS OVER 191.5

The best value early in any sports season comes from teams that have had major changes that throw past data-bases completely out of play. That is what we are going to have on both sides of this equation, and the low Total set for this matchup shows how far behind we believe the oddsmakers are. The Pistons had a great chemistry for a lot of seasons, grinding down opponents with a patient half-court offense and that tenacious defense. Not anymore. It is a completely different mix now with the likes of Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva on board, and in leading the team in scoring in the pre-season we also see the potential of Rodney Stuckey beginning to show. This is a team that can attack offensively from every position except at C, and we expect a loose and aggressive approach under John Kuester. At the same time, the defensive chemistry is going to be a work in progress for most of the season, and the pieces simply may not fit together in that aspect of the game even when they have had the time to play together. Kuester already knows that it is difficult to have Gordon and Villanueva on the court at the same time because of their liabilities on that end, but it will also means plenty of scoring punch off of the bench. While Memphis lacks the history of Detroit, there are similarities in terms of how many new pieces are trying to come together going forward. Four of the five starters are in their first or second season in a Grizzly uniform, and while the individual talent is there to be able to attack and score in uptempo settings, the defense will have holes galore. They were 21st on our best set of defensive ratings LY, and we do not see any signs of improvement, particularly with Zach Randolph now ticketed for so many minutes. But with Mike Conley pushing the ball (5.7 assists per game after Lionel Hollins took over as coach, after just 3.0 previously), and having wing scorers in Randolph, Rudy Gay and O. J. Mayo, they can get out into the open court and make things happen. That will particularly be the case in the home opener against a vulnerable Detroit defense, and it creates an entirely different flow than what the oddsmakers are calling for

Posted : October 28, 2009 4:03 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

THE PREZ

8* WS BEST BET BLOWOUT

The questions about which umpires would be chosen to grade the World Series this year have been answered. Crew chiefs Joe West, Dana DeMuth and Gerry Davis, will be joined by Brian Gorman, Jeff Nelson and Mike Everitt. This constitutes a split among whom we consider pitcher-friendly and hitter-friendly vests. Sabathia, has a winning record with each and every umpire on the World Series crew.
In past Fall Classics, its proven that teams don't win unless they can hit. While both the Yanks and the Phils can clearly do this, it is the pitching and bullpen that will dictate this year's winner. Game 1 falls right into this category, likely more, than any game on the 4-to-7 game slate. The Yankees bullpen is better than the Phils, and while it might not make a difference in Game 1, it could, and definitely will, in the series.

First, the forecast for Wednesday night's game offers an advantage to the pitchers. A 60 percent chance of rain with a brisk wind blowing in from left-center field assists both starting lefties, it also slows the running game, a key factor considering we fully expect a determined effort by Philadelphia to run on Yanks catcher Jorge Posada.

Wednesday night's matchup might pit the best offensive team in the American League against the best offensive team in the National League, but when evaluating which pitching staff figures to be better on Wednesday night, C.C. Sabathia and Mariano Rivera or Cliff Lee and Brad Lidge or , the umpiring crew, new Yankee Stadium, and the weather give New York the easy edge.

Both starters are fresh, and have a seasonal advantage due to the weather conditions. The wind blowing in from left-center means that all of the fly balls off of right-handed bats, and those off the bat of slugger Ryan Howard (he goes to left-center WHEN he can make contact against a good southpaw) will befall a quick death.

The umpires slated for Game 1 are the best of the best, and all have pitcher-friendly tendencies when organizations have their No. 1 on the mound.

The Phillies are the most efficient base-stealing team in the major leagues, and have been during their championship tenure. This year, the Phillies stole 119 bases and had only 28 caught stealing. The Yankees had 111 steals and an 80 percent success rate. The Phillies depend on the stolen base more than the Yanks and the probable wet conditions on Wednesday night take away some of the allure of backing the Phils.

The Yankees have been at their best versus good teams. New York is 61-34 against teams with a winning record and were 38-18 in the second half of this season against clubs that sported winning percentages of .501 or better.

New York's improved defense has been everything this year. It has covered up the less than stellar effectiveness of the backend of the rotation and has made their top side, even better. They are 33-8 after three straight games where they committed no errors this season. The Yankees are nearly unbeatable with a fresh bullpen, too, with a 61-28 record in a game after one or less relievers makes an appearance in the previous contest.

8* Play on the Yankees

Posted : October 28, 2009 4:04 pm
(@mglaz)

hey Blade, have you seen The Prez's 9* blowout toal for the WS?

Posted : October 28, 2009 4:12 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Savannah Sports

2* NY Yankees Under 7.5

Eric Degarde

2* NY Rangers -150
2* Ottawa -135
2* Calgary Over 5.5

Posted : October 28, 2009 4:25 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Executive

200 Philly/NYY Over

Posted : October 28, 2009 4:26 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

hey Blade, have you seen The Prez's 9* blowout toal for the WS?

No just the side play is all,I post everything I run across.

Posted : October 28, 2009 4:27 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bob Balfe

Phillies/Yankees Under 7.5

Posted : October 28, 2009 4:28 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Opposite Action Plays

NY Yankees

Posted : October 28, 2009 4:28 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Evan Altemus

New York Knicks @ Miami Heat
Pick: 3 units: Under 208.5

New York was known for its high scoring and fast paced tempo last season, but they seem to be slowing things down much more. In addition, offenses are out of sync at the start of the season, so I expect it to be very difficult for these two teams to have a high enough shooting percentage to send this game over the total. Miami is not an up and down team as well, which makes it much harder for this game to go over the total. In addition, the Heat are playing at home, so they will look to control the tempo and play the game at a slower pace. Take the under.

Philadelphia 76ers @ Orlando Magic
Pick: 3 units Orlando -8.5

These two teams met last season in the NBA playoffs, and Orlando proved that they were the much better team. In addition, I feel that the Magic are still under-rated in the Eastern Conference, despite beating BOTH Boston and Cleveland in the playoffs. I also feel that this team will be better this season with a healthy Jameer Nelson, as well as Vince Carter entering the starting line-up. The Magic appeared very motivated in the preseason, as they crushed almost every opponent they faced. I feel that these are two teams heading in completely different directions. Look for Orlando to get a dominant opening night win at home by double digits.

Posted : October 28, 2009 4:31 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dr Bob

Opinions

Phoenix (-3) over L.A. CLIPPERS

The Clippers played pretty well last night in their 92-99 loss as an 11 point dog to the Lakers, but Los Angeles applies to a negative 33-71-1 ATS early season indicator. The line on this game opened at -1 1/2 and is now at 13 and I would have made it Suns by 2 1/2, so there is at least 1/2 a point of negative line value. The situation is still good enough to lean with Phoenix at -3 but I'll wait for better opportunities that will arise when the strongest early season indicators start to apply later this week.

Cleveland (-6) over TORONTO

Cleveland was 15-4 ATS after a loss last season and 56-28-1 ATS in their last 85 games after a loss when not laying more than 7 points. With that being the case I expect the Cavs to bounce-back from last night's loss to Boston with a good effort tonight against what I think will be another sub-par Toronto team. My ratings favor Cleveland by 6 1/2 after adjusting for the Cavs' lack of rest, so the line is fair and Cleveland will be motivated.

Posted : October 28, 2009 4:35 pm
Page 2 / 4
Share: