0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Mike Rose
FOR THE LARGEST SELECTION OF FREE SERVICE PLAYS VISIT THESPREAD.COM
Minnesota Twins @ Texas Rangers Under 10.5
Glen Perkins saw his streak of four straight quality starts get snapped his last time out. On 10 days rest after being scratched for his start vs. NY with the flu, the lefty came out rusty and the division rival White Sox made him pay dearly. He lasted just 4.1 innings against the Palehose and allowed five ERs on eight hits before getting the early hook. Still, the lefty is 2-1 with a 3.44 ERA his L/3 starts, and his club has fared well with him toeing the visiting bump as theyve won each of his L/2 starts. Perkins won both of his career starts against the Rangers last season limiting them to just nine hits and three-runs combined, but this will be the first time he stares back at them in Arlington.
For a guy that was put on waivers after his start in the Bronx, Padilla has rebounded nicely leading the Rangers to victories in four of his L/6 starts. He comes into his 16th start of the season 7-4 overall with a 4.53 ERA & 1.51 WHIP with a K/BB ratio of 49/39 through 89.1 total innings of work. For some reason, hes been flat in his home starts this year going 3-3 with a bloated 5.93 ERA; Texas has dropped each of his L/2 home outings. He bounced back from a poor home start against the Angels his last time out by taking it to Scioscias club in Anaheim by tossing six innings of one-run ball in the Rangers 8-1 road win. Texas won all three of his starts against the Twins in 08, which included a 10-0 shellacking in this venue.
Minnesota and surprisingly Texas have been two of the better under teams all season long. Both Perkins and Padilla have solid numbers against both lineups. The Twins are 11-28 to the under as a visitor this season, while Texas has played to the low side of the total in 21 of 30 games vs. lefthanders and in 27 of their 43 home games. Even though this was a high scoring series a year ago, look for both pitching staffs to hold the upper hand in round one of the series.

Posted : July 17, 2009 1:03 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dennis Macklin
Minnesota Twins at Texas Rangers
Prediction: Under
Not really sure that the return of Josh Hamilton is enough to jack the Texas Rangers totals back to double-digits. The Twin's Glen Perkins has a LT ERA of less than two vs Texas while the Rangers Vince Padilla is rocking a 2.63 ERA against the Twins. Minnesota is 28-11 to the low on the road and the Rangers have been an under machine. Runs would appear to be tough to come by here and DMack is on the Under.

Posted : July 17, 2009 1:03 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Freddy Wills
LAA Angels vs. Oakland Athletics
Play: Oakland Athletics
I like the A's here today with Cahill on the mound at home. In Cahill's first outing vs. the Angels he managed 5 innings and 2ER, but was pulled because he gave up 5H and 5BB so 10 base runners over 5 innings on the road, but he managed only 2ER. I applaud him for this effort on the road even though 5BB is a little embarasssing. Not to worry here as he has control at home for some reason just look at the numbers. He has half as many walks in more innings at home than he does on the road. Home = 13BB/59.2IP, Road = 28BB/38.2IP. He simply has the confidence at home and I think he will here again tonight as he faces the Angels without Vlad and Tori Hunter this time who were a combined 2-5 with a Walk last time against Cahill.
On the other side of the mound you will have Joe Saunders who has an 0-1 record 2.29 WHIP and a 11.57ERA in his last three starts. He has had success here against the A's in the past, but on the road this season he has a 5.75ERA compared to his 3.86 home. Oakland are killing LHP last 5 .375 average 9 runs per 9 innings. Their bullpen over that time also stronger than the Angels at 3.57 compared to 6.60. Take the A's!

Posted : July 17, 2009 1:04 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Rob Homyak

5 Units on Chicago Cubs
Play AGAINST WASHINGTON using the money line in All games in night games

The record is 16 Wins and 45 Losses this season (-26.55 units)

Rich Harden combined on a four-hit performance as the Cubs defeated the Nationals 6-2 in Thursday's series opener. The Cubs won the game as -130 favorites, while the eight runs fell UNDER the posted over/under (9).
Derrek Lee went 3-for-4 at the plate with a solo home run for the Cubs. Harden evened his record to 6-6 with the win.

Ryan Zimmerman went deep for the Nationals, who were +110 underdogs. John Lannan allowed three runs over 6 2-3 innings in the loss.
Zambrano is 2-3 with a 2.95 ERA in 10 starts since he was reinstated from the 15-day disabled list on May 22. The Nationals rookie Craig Stammen will start in place of Scott Olsen. Stammen is 2-4 with a 4.45 ERA in 10 starts.

ZAMBRANO is 67-44 (+21.5 Units) against the money line in road games in games played on a grass field since 1997. (Team's Record)
CARLOS ZAMBRANO vs. WASHINGTON since 1997

ZAMBRANO is 6-2 when starting against WASHINGTON with an ERA of 2.97 and a WHIP of 1.162.

His team's record is 6-3 (+1.8 units) in these starts.
Chicago and Washington split six matchups a year ago. The Cubs are 10-4 in the series since the start of the 2007 campaign.

Head to Head
Cubs are 4-0 in Zambranos last 4 starts vs. Nationals.

Cubs are 10-4 in the last 14 meetings.

Umpire Trends - Gary Darling
Road team is 10-4 in Darlings last 14 games behind home plate vs. Chicago.
Nationals are 2-8 in their last 10 games with Darling behind home plate.

Posted : July 17, 2009 1:06 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

GoodFella
St. Louis -1.5
Carpenter has been absolutely lights out at home & I expect another very strong outing from him tonight. I also like the Cards left-handed lineup vs Garland tonight, & I will lay the -1.5 and expect a 6-2 type of win tonight. Sorry for the short analysis, but short on time at this moment.

Posted : July 17, 2009 1:08 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Evan Altemus
Philadelphia at Florida
Selection: Under 9
Profile: Both starting pitchers have been absolutely dominating over their opposing teams tonight. This total is set so high based on the preconceived notion that both of these teams have high scoring, power line-ups. However, each team's offense is down from a year ago. Florida is only hitting around .250 against lefties, so Cole Hamels should have no problem shutting them down. Hamels has been somewhat inconsistent this season, but I look for him to control a line-up that he has dominated every time he has faced them. Meanwhile, Ricky Nolasco has been very consistent this season and has been one of the better pitchers in the National League. He has also controlled his opposing team in every outing over the last two seasons. Both of these starting pitchers also go deep into the game, limiting the impact that the bullpens will have. Look for this game to be a low scoring pitchers duel.
2 UNIT SELECTION

Posted : July 17, 2009 1:10 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jimmy Boyd

1 Unit on Chicago White Sox -1.5 +138

I'll take the White Sox today and go with the run line to reduce the juice. Mark Buehrle has gone 4-2 with a 2.45 ERA in 10 starts against Baltimore, including 3-0 with a 2.27 ERA in the last five matchups in Chicago. Jason Berken on the other hand starts for Baltimore and he's 0-6 with a 6.15 ERA in his last eight starts. The White Sox scored 6.4 runs per game over their last seven while Batlimore is putting up 4.0 runs per game against left-handers this year. The edge goes with the ChiSox here tonight.

Posted : July 17, 2009 2:05 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Wunderdog
FOR THE LARGEST SELECTION OF FREE SERVlCE PLAYS VlSlT THESPREAD.COM
Connecticut at San Antonio
Pick: Connecticut +4.5
It is pretty evident that what this Silver Stars team was a year ago, they are not this season. They compiled the league's top mark at 24-10, but enter here at just 6-6, and have already dropped as many home games as they did all of last season. The Sun started slowly, but have turned the corner and have covered six of their last nine games. They have suffered four of their losses by five points or less and are rarely out of any game. The offense which was stagnent early in the season has gained consistency, and the points are flowing freely. The Silver Stars haven't been the defensive stopping unit from a year ago, and have become vulnerable to a competent team like the Sun. I'm going with Connecticut here.

San Francisco at Pittsburgh
Pick: Pittsburgh +1.5

The San Francisco Giants have certainly opened some eyes this season. They have done a lot of it with their play at home where they are 31-15 on the season, but have struugled to a mediocre 18-24 mark on the road. Tim Lincecum started the All-Star game, so he will not be in his usual rythm between starts. Lincecum has had one start against the Pirates in his career, a losing one. Paul Maholm has been outstanding for the Pirates as he has won two straight decisions, and has been electric at home where he has pitched to a 2.96 ERA covering seven starts. He also has good numbers vs. the Giants as he brings a 3.00 career ERA against them. The Pirates will be facing the Giants for the first time this season, and they swept them here a year ago in a three-game set, and I look for them to win or be in this one at the least and will play them on the runline.

Posted : July 17, 2009 2:12 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Tony George
Milwaukee Brewers vs. Cincinnati Reds
Play: Milwaukee Brewers
Fading Bronson Arroyo of the Reds again, I have won going against him twice in the last 3 weeks and he is 2-6 in his last 8 starts. The Brew Crew took one last night from the Reds on the road, and I like them tonight plus a small number on the moneyline as I continue to fade the Reds struggling starter and ex-ace. The Brewers bullpen has stunk it up recently but I have a hunch in this one that Milwaukee's offense wins it. The over 10 is pretty close to my number here, but it looks tempting for most to lay it with a home team here, I will take the added value with the overall better team more capable of scoring runs. Starter Jeff Suppan is 4-1 on the road this season for the Brewers with less than a 4 ERA.

Posted : July 17, 2009 2:39 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Scott Rickenbach
Houston Astros @ Los Angeles Dodgers
PICK: Los Angeles Dodgers
After getting shutout last night look for the Dodgers to bounce back big tonight. Los Angeles is a pricier favorite than we like to use as a guaranteed pick but we do feel there is value with them tonight. That's why you're reading about them here. The Dodgers, even with last night's loss are still 28-14 at home this season. They're also 23-9 after a loss this season and that includes a perfect 4-0 after a shutout loss. After dropping last night's game 3-0 the Dodgers will get right back on track.
The Astros Lance Berkman is questionable tonight and Houston, even though Roy Oswalt is on the mound, are just 1-3 in Oswalt's four starts where he was installed as an underdog this season. Chad Billingsley gets the start for the Dodgers tonight and Los Angeles is 12-5 when he's on the mound and they're installed as a favorite. As noted above, the Dodgers are a pricey favorite tonight but, in our opinion, you should consider a small play on the Los Angeles Dodgers on the money line on Friday.

Posted : July 17, 2009 2:40 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dominic Fazzini

San Francisco -140 at PITTSBURGH
Phillies left-hander Jamie Moyer continued his mastery of the Marlins on Thursday night, giving me a second consecutive victory on my complimentary selection. That streak should easily reach three straight today as I love Tim Lincecum and the Giants to crush the Pirates.

I guess Lincecum might be human after all, however.
American League batters actually got to the Giants ace Tuesday in the All-Star Game, scoring one run on two hits in two innings, although Lincecum wasn’t exactly helped by his defense in that outing.

That was the first time in quite awhile, however, that Lincecum looked average. The reigning National League Cy Young Award winner has been nearly unhittable lately. After going 4-1 with a 1.48 in six June starts, the hard-throwing right-hander is 2-0 with a 1.98 in two outings this month.
Lefty Paul Maholm (6-4, 4.60) will take the mound for the Pirates. He pitched well in his last outing, giving up two runs on six hits in six innings at Houston on July 7, but he has been inconsistent this season, looking brilliant at times and awful at others.

Maholm has pitched well at home, going 3-1 with a 2.96 ERA in seven outings at PNC Park, but Pittsburgh is 1-4 in his last five home starts. He is 1-0 with a 3.00 ERA in four starts against San Francisco, and he had better be at his best if he expects to outperform Lincecum.

The Giants have struggled on the road this year, at 18-24, and are starting a 10-game road trip to begin the second half of the season. Lincecum, though, is 5-1 with a 2.22 ERA away from AT&T Park.
Lincecum has faced Pittsburgh only once in his career and was hit hard, allowing six runs on nine hits in six innings. But that was back in 2007, when he was a rookie. He’s a whole lot better now. Take the Giants on the run line.
4♦ SAN FRANCISCO -1 1/2

Posted : July 17, 2009 2:44 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Sports Gambling Hotline

Philadelphia -120 at FLORIDA
For Friday night, stick with the red-hot Philadelphia Phillies as they take down the Florida Marlins once again.

Last night in a write-in game, the Phils were 4-0 winners to up their winning streak to 6 in a row, and 10 of their last 11.

Hard to knock those numbers, especially when Florida counters with losses in 5 of their last 8, and are just 2-5 in this year's season series against Philly.
Overall, the Phillies have gone 7-2 the last 9 meetings with the Marlins, and tonight they make it 8-2 with lefty Cole Hamels on the hill.

True, Hamels is a bit off from last year's form, but you know darn well the southpaw is capable of firing a 5-hit shutout at any time, and after getting slowed by soft-tossing Jamie Moyer last night, expect the Marlins hitters to be off stride tonight against Hamels.
Play on the Phillies.

4♦ PHILADELPHIA

Posted : July 17, 2009 2:45 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bobby Maxwell

Philadelphia at FLORIDA +110
Made it two straight FREE winners on Thursday as the Cubs got the job done in Washington. Tonight I've got a third straight for you as I love the Marlins at home against the Phillies.

Philadelphia made it look easy on Thursday in a 4-0 win over the Marlins, but then again veteran Jamie Moyer always makes it look easy against Florida. Today is a different story as Cole Hamels (5-5, 4.87 ERA) has been shaky lately. I'm going with the Marlins in this one behind starter Ricky Nolasco (6-7, 5.76).

After losing four straight Hamels' starts, the Phillies have won his last two, but one was all about the offense in the 22-1 win over the Reds and the other was Saturday when he allowed five runs on seven hits in six innings and got a no-decision in Philadelphia's 8-7 win over Pittsburgh. He is 2-3 with a 6.34 ERA on the road this season and he's 2-4 with a 4.15 ERA in eight career starts against the Marlins.
Meanwhile, Florida has won five of Nolasco's last six starts, with him posting a 4-1 mark and 2.69 ERA. The Marlins are 4-1 in his last five outings against division foes and 15-7 in his last 22 starts as an underdog.

Even after losing to Moyer and the Phils on Thursday, Florida has won 10 of 12 at home and they are 12-6 against left-handed hurlers.

Florida has won five in a row against Hamels and they are 4-0 at home against southpaws. Play the Marlins in this one.
2♦ FLORIDA

Posted : July 17, 2009 2:46 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chris Jordan

Minnesota at TEXAS -125
While Texas continues to vie for a shot at its first postseason appearance since 1999, there’s one thing that’s stood out for me about this normally explosive team on offense: it ranks 24th in the league with its .255 batting average (last season it finished No. 1 with .283 average), 23rd in hits (last season it finished No. 1 with 1,619 hits) and 11th in runs scored (last season it finished No. 1 with 901 runs).

So why are the Rangers sitting in second place, just two back of the Angels? Maybe cause their pitching staff ranks 10th in the league with 396 runs allowed. Perhaps it’s the fact they’re tied for eighth in the league with 48 wins. It could be the astounding 28-17 mark at home this season as well … no telling.
But the fact is the Rangers have shown me much more with their pitching this season, than they have with their hitting antics. Thus, I believe the start of the second half for them will be with a defensive statement, particularly by Vicente Padilla. He last started July 8, when he gave up just one run and scatted eight hits over six-plus innings in an 8-1 win over those, ahem, first-place Angels. Tonight he’ll come in pumped with confidence versus a team he’s 3-2 against, along with a 2.63 ERA in six career starts.

So why not just take the home team … simple, Minnesota has won 10 of its last 15 away games. It’s one-half game back of the White Sox and a mere four back of Detroit, which happens to be in the Bronx this weekend. More importantly, the Twins are sending Glen Perkins to the hill, and he was 2-0 with a 1.46 ERA in two starts against the Rangers in 2008. This marks his first start against the Rangers, but he’ll be just as pumped as Padilla.
Delving inside the betting numbers with this one, the under is on winning runs of 28-8 in Minnesota’s last 36 on the highway and 25-8 in its last 33 on grass; with Texas, the low number is on runs of 21-6 in Arlington and 16-6 when the Rangers are the installed chalk.

Play this one low tonight, as it hits between 7 and 9.
2♦ UNDER Twins/Rangers

Posted : July 17, 2009 2:47 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jeff Benton

Minnesota at TEXAS -125
Hope you enjoyed that easy free-play winner on the Angels last night, as I’m now on a 6-2 roll with complimentary plays. For Thursday, I’m going to put my money on the Rangers as a short favorite at home against the Twins.

I’ll be honest with you: This pick doesn’t come without some hesitation, simply because I have never been nor ever will be a fan of Texas starting pitcher Vicente Padilla. He’s not nearly as good as his 7-4 record indicates, and he’s been hit very hard at home this year (3-3, 5.93 ERA, 1.82 WHIP). Still, I can’t deny the fact that the Rangers are 10-5 in Padilla’s 15 starts this year, including 7-3 in the last 10. And in those 10, Padilla has given up three earned runs or fewer eight times and pitched at least six innings on seven occasions, including five starts in which he went at least seven frames.
I also can’t deny the fact that Padilla has fared very well against a very good Twins lineup in his career. He’s only 3-2 in six starts, but it comes with a 2.63 ERA, and last year, he faced Minnesota three times (once at home, twice in the Metrodome) and he gave up a total of three runs and 17 hits in 21 innings for a 1.29 ERA, and the Rangers won all three games.

What about Twins starter Glen Perkins? Well, he was dominant in his last two road starts, giving up single runs in victories at Kansas City and St. Louis. But aside from Albert Pujols, neither the Royals nor Cardinals can hit a lick. Look at what Perkins has done in his last five starts against quality offensive clubs: five runs in 4 1/3 innings vs. the White Sox; four runs in seven innings vs. the Astros; six runs in 2/3 of an inning (not a misprint!) at the Yankees; five runs in 5 1/3 innings at Baltimore; and four runs in six innings at Baltimore. The Twins’ record in those five games? 1-4.
In fact, Perkins has just three quality starts in his last 10 outings, and this is his first-ever start in hitter-friendly Rangers Ballpark. Throw in the fact that Texas is 28-17 at home this year (including an ongoing five-game home win streak) and the Twins are 17-24 on the road, and this is just too cheap of a price to pass up – regardless of my dislike for Padilla. Back the Rangers.
3♦ TEXAS

Posted : July 17, 2009 2:48 pm
Page 3 / 4
Share: