46 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jeff Benton

LA Angels at SEATTLE +130

For Monday’s freebie, I’ll play the Mariners as a home underdog against the Angels.

I know L.A. lefty Joe Saunders has had his way with Seattle in his career, including a pair of dominating seven-inning performances this season. That said, you can’t trust Saunders laying money on the road. The guy has a 6.12 ERA in 11 road performances this year, and in his last four starts on the highway (at Texas, Oakland, Kansas City and Minnesota), he gave up a total of 22 earned runs in 21 1/3 innings.

Tonight, Saunders goes up against a Seattle lineup that’s clubbing lefties pretty good lately (.286 average last 10 games). Also, prior to Sunday’s 3-0 loss to Zack Greinke and the Royals, the Mariners had won five of their previous six games (all at home), and their pitching staff has given up three runs or fewer in five of their seven games on this homestand.

As for Mariners rookie starter Luke French, he’s been decent since coming over from Detroit at the end of July. He’s given up just 14 earned runs in 28 innings (4.50 ERA), with Seattle winning four of those five games.

Finally, by the end of last year, the Angels had won an astounding 35 of 48 meetings against Seattle. But this year, the Mariners have more than held their own against their division rivals, taking seven of 13 meetings. Throw in the fact that Los Angeles is scuffling a bit (4-7 last 11 games, including 1-3 on the road), and I’ll take a calculated shot with a home ‘dog that’s eight games over .500 in its own yard this year.

3♦ SEATTLE

Posted : August 31, 2009 2:32 pm
Page 4 / 4
Share: