Free Picks: Service Plays for Saturday July 18,2009

47 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

BIG AL

It's the top pitching matchup of the day as Justin Verlander matches tosses with C.C. Sabathia. Take the Tigers on Saturday on the road at the New York Yankees.
FOR THE LARGEST SELECTION OF FREE SERVlCE PLAYS VlSlT THESPREAD.COM
Our Saturday afternoon MLB selection is on the Detroit Tigers on the road in the Bronx over the New York Yankees.

While the Yankees, Red Sox and Rays will likely slug it out in the second half in what should be a very competitive AL Eastern Division, the Tigers would seem to be the obvious cream of the AL Central crop at this point and may be in a position – injuries permitting – to coast to a pennant in the next three months. They almost certainly will have the best hitting in their division, and if their young pitchers can come through in the second half, then they could be very tough for anyone in their division to catch.
Justin Verlander will obviously be looked upon to be the leader of this young staff, and since he did not pitch in the All-Star game the Tigers have moved him up to Saturday instead of Sunday, producing perhaps the best pitching matchup of the weekend when he leads the Tigers into Yankee stadium to face C.C. Sabathia.

While Verlander's month of July has been pretty good so far (2-1 with a 3.32 ERA in three starts this month), Sabathia's has not as the big lefthander has gone 1-2 with a 5.59 ERA in three starts. Perhaps the biggest contrast between these two that could potentially have a huge impact in this contest is their performance to date in day games. Verlander is 4-1 with a 1.96 ERA in seven daytime starts while Sabathia is 0-3 with a 5.67 ERA in the same number of afternoon outings. Take the Tigers.
Pick: Tigers

Posted : July 18, 2009 11:41 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

IndianCowboy
Take the Under 8 between the Houston Astros @ LA Dodgers
These two teams hook up late this evening and Mike Hampton (the ex-Brave that ruined the Braves rotation for years due to his injuries on a 24/7 basis - no, I'm not bitter) goes for the 'Stros tonight. The Florida native got rocked in his last start as he gave up 9 hits in in less than 4 innings which led to five runs and the Astros losing the game to the Nationals at home 2-13. After such a brutal start, I expect Hampton to come back on the road this evening. Plus, with nearly 80% of the public riding the Dodgers, I expect Hampton to have a strong outing today as he could bury the public - more importantly, I expect an Under to have a strong chance. Hampton had two strong starts prior to his last start where he had given up just 2 runs in 13 innings and I expect him to revert back to that form today. Tack on the fact that the stud Kershaw is on the mound who has a 3.16 era this year and has given up just 3 runs over his last 35 innings roughly, and I believe you have the makings for a pitcher's duel today in LA. The Under is 4-0 for the Astros when they face a lefty on the road and the Under is 6-1 for the Dodgers when the total is set this low at home.

Posted : July 18, 2009 12:00 pm
Page 4 / 4
Share: