Free Picks: Service Plays for Tuesday, August 3,2010

29 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Karl Garrett

G-Man with an easy Monday winner on the Brewers crushing the Cubs, now 7-1-1 with my comp plays the last 9 days.

For Tuesday night, the G-Man will go with the LA Angels as they look to continue their positive momentum on the road at Baltimore.

The Angels did take 2 of 3 this past weekend off of division leader Texas, and now they get to face a Baltimore teams they went 8-2 against last season. That 8-2 mark includes 5 wins in 6 games played at Camden Yards.

Overall, the Angels are 35-16 the last 51 series meetings.

Jeremy Guthrie has been pitching well for the O's, allowing just 3 runs his last 21-plus innings of work, but against LA he has allowed 14 runs his last 20 innings of work.

Trevor Bell will make just his second start of the season, but with Baltimore only 18-33 at home this year, I expect Bell to be a little better than his first start which lasted only 3 innings, and saw 4 runs score in a loss to Texas.

Go with the Halos here.

4♦ LA ANGELS

Posted : August 3, 2010 10:47 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Scott Spreitzer

NY Mets vs Atlanta
Play: Atlanta

I had Atlanta yesterday and they came through with a 4-1 win for us. The loss dealt another blow to the struggling NY Mets, who're now 21-49 in their last 70 as a road underdog. And while R.A. Dickey has been a bright spot this season, the Mets don't give him much support, losing each of his last five on the road. The Braves haven't found too much success lately when Derek Lowe starts, but most of those games were on the road. Atlanta is 6-0 with Lowe, when they're at home and favored by -1.50 or less. They're on a 25-7 run at home overall, and the Braves are 51-23 in their last 74 home games against the Mets. We'll back MLB's best home team, the Atlanta Braves on Tuesday night.

Posted : August 3, 2010 10:49 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Stephen Nover

Now on a 48-30-1 run with my free selections after winning by 17 runs on the Brewers Monday.

On my Tuesday complimentary selection, I like the San Diego Padres and Mat Latos to beat the slumping Los Angeles Dodgers.

The Padres aren't going away. They are leading the NL West and are ahead of the Dodgers by nine games. Los Angeles isn't making a move. Instead the Dodgers are going the other way having lost six in a row.

Manny Ramirez is past his prime. But the Dodgers seem to miss their injured outfielder's bat. Los Angeles is averaging a puny two runs during its past 12 games.

Vicente Padilla gets the start for Los Angeles. He's been better than expected since coming off the DL. Padilla, though, has allowed seven walks in his last three starts - all Dodger losses.

Latos, meanwhile, continues to be the ace of a very underrated San Diego pitching staff. He's yielded two earned runs or less during each of his last eight starts. He is 2-0 with a 1.50 ERA in his last three starts.

It may not look like it on paper, but the Padres are better than the Dodgers. They also have the superior pitcher going. The price is fair enough to ride the Padres, winners of seven of their last 10.

3♦ SAN DIEGO

Posted : August 3, 2010 10:49 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chris Jordan

Rarely will you see me put my money on the worst team in baseball, but tonight I have my money on the Orioles, to get it done over the unsuspecting Angels, who have lost 11 of 14 on the road.

Jeremy Guthrie has been one of my favorite go-againsts this season, but tonight I am going to use him, as he's been a bit more impressive since the All-Star Break. The right-hander is 1-1 with a 1.31 ERA in three outings since then, and rolls into this one after giving up one run and six hits over seven innings of last Wednesday’s 5-0 loss at Toronto.

I'd rather have him, than Trevor Bell, who looked horrendous in his first start of the season, getting pelted for four runs and eight hits in 3-1/3 innings of a 6-4 loss at Texas on July 25.

He just hasn't looked comfortable on the mound, and could be tentative tonight, thinking too much against a lowly team like the O's.

And just when you think you have the oddsmakers figured out, and see something too good to be true - like the better Angels as an underdog - you get trapped into playing the pup. I'm taking the O's in this one.

2♦ BALTIMORE

Posted : August 3, 2010 10:50 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Lenny Del Genio

Cincinnati Reds at Pittsburgh Pirates
Prediction: Cincinnati Reds

The Reds continue to roll and beat up on the pitiful Pirates last night 4-0. Tonight, the Reds send Leake to the hill whos been very consistent this season with an ERA of 3.57. The Pirates have been big money burners against righties with a 21-51 record and a -$1995 averaging only 3.3 runs per game. The Reds are 16-4 this season against teams like the Pirates who score less than 3.8 runs per game. Were playing on the Reds at this reasonable price. Play on Cincinnati.

Posted : August 3, 2010 1:02 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Tony Stoffo

San Diego Padres vs. Los Angeles Dodgers
Play: San Diego Padres

The Dodgers are reeling having now lost 6 straight, and I look for their woes to continue here tonight against Mat Latos and the Padres. Latos is 6-0 in his last 8 starts, and has allowed just 3 earned runs in his last 3 starts resulting in a 1.50 ERA and 1.167 WHIP. Plus add in the edge that San Diego has in the bullpen with a road 2.95 ERA and 1.135 WHIP, and I can't see the Dodgers doing much offensively once again this evening. And finally with these strong trends pointing towards San Diego makes the Padres the solid play once again here tonight. -Padres are 7-1 in their last 8 vs. National League West.Padres are 7-1 in their last 8 vs. National League West. -Padres are 5-0 in Latos' last 5 road starts. -Padres are 10-1 in Latos' last 11 starts. -Dodgers are 0-6 in their last 6 vs. National League West.

Posted : August 3, 2010 1:03 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Craig Trapp

San Diego Padres vs. Los Angeles Dodgers
Play: San Diego Padres

At the all star break many LAD fans were thinking they would make a push led by the offense but its been just the opposite. Since the break we have seen this team hit less that .200 and less than .150 with men in scoring position. SD on the other hand has been doing the same all year, great pitching, cluth hitting, and great defense. If it works don't fix it! SD goes to Latos today and he tries to keep his hot pitching streak alive, 6-0 with a 1.40 ERA in eight starts! He will be opposed by newly aquired Lily who has been good since all star break but did not have run support by the Cubs. Looks like he might have same issue today as the Dodgers are just not very consitent without Manny in the lineup. Great value on the hotter pitcher and more consistent team.

Posted : August 3, 2010 1:03 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

BEN BURNS

Houston Astros @ St. Louis Cardinals
PICK: St. Louis Cardinals

The Astros have been on a great run. It figures to come to an end today though. Norris is off a rare strong start. However, I use the word "rare," as he's still 3-7 with a 5.62 ERA and 1.575 WHIP on the season. Prior to that outing, he'd been 0-3 with a 6.13 ERA in his previous seven starts. His last road start was 7/17 at Pittsburgh. In that game, he allowed seven runs (4 earned) and gave up nine hits, while lasting only 4 2/3 innings.

Garcia checks in at 9-4 with a 2.33 ERA. That includes a 4-1 record with a spectacular 1.46 ERA in nine home starts.

Garcia will have the advantage of starting against the Astros for the first time. That's not the case for Norris though, as the Cardinals are quite familiar with him. Indeed, this will be the fourth time that they've seen him already this season. To his credit, Norris actually has very strong career stats vs. the Cards. However, the St. Louis hitters finally figured him out the last time that they faced him. In that 7/9 outing, Norris gave up five runs, en route to suffering a 8-1 loss.

Even with yesterday's loss, the Cards are still an exceptional 37-17 at home on the season. Consider laying the wood.

Posted : August 3, 2010 1:04 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jack Jones

Tampa Bay Rays -153

The Tampa Bay Rays are one of the hottest teams in baseball right now. The Rays are 9-1 in their last 10 games overall, with their only loss coming by 1 run against the Yankees. Their pitching has been brilliant, allowing 5 runs or less in all 10 games, and 3 runs or less in 8 of the 10 contests. I trust Jeff Niemann to get the job done tonight. Neimann is 9-3 with a 3.08 ERA and 1.154 WHIP in 21 starts this season, and Tampa Bay is 16-5 in those 21 games. Niemann is 1-0 with a 2.92 ERA in 2 career starts vs. Minnesota, both victories by the Rays.

Brian Duensing has been solid this season for Minnesota, mostly in a relief role. He has made two starts and has come away with a 2.45 ERA in those 2 outings, but they came against the Royals and A's. He's in for his stiffest test of the season tonight in trying to slow down this potent Rays line-up. Tampa is 48-14 against the money line as a home favorite of -150 to -175 over the last 3 seasons. The Rays are 11-1 against the money line after scoring 4 runs or less 3 straight games this season. Niemann is a superb 15-1 against the money line vs. poor power teams - averaging 0.9 or less HR's/game over the last 2 seasons. The Rays are winning in this spot by 4.2 RPG. Roll with the Rays Tuesday.

Posted : August 3, 2010 1:04 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Info Plays

3* on Philadelphia Phillies -1.5 -113

Reasons the Phillies win:

1.) System Play. We'll Play Against - All underdogs with a money line of +175 to +250 (FLORIDA) - cold hitting team - batting .250 or worse over their last 20 games against opponent with a hot starting pitcher- WHIP <= 1.000 over his last 5 starts. This is a 67-7 ML System hitting 90.5% over the last 5 seasons while gaining 51.8 units. The favored team is winning by 3.0 RPG on average in this situation.

2.) Roy Halladay. He's 12-8 with a 2.21 ERA and 1.023 WHIP this season for the Phillies. In 5 lifetime starts vs. Florida, Halladay is 2-2 with a 2.12 ERA and 0.882 WHIP. He pitched a perfect game in his last start at Florida, so he'll have some pretty good vibes heading into this one. Bet the Phillies on the Run Line.

Posted : August 3, 2010 1:05 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jeff Alexander

1 Unit on Colorado Rockies -130

At 35-18, Colorado has been getting it done at home all season. Plus, Colorado has had the Giants' number. The Rockies have won 6 of the last 8 meetings overall, and 6 of the last 7 at Coors Field. In addition, the Giants are only 1-4 in Sanchez's last 5 starts vs. the Rockies. The Rockies are 8-3 in Cook's last 11 home starts, 7-2 in his last 9 starts as a home favorite of -110 to -150 and 18-6 in his last 24 home starts vs. a team with a winning record. Take the Rockies.

(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dave Price

1 Unit on Seattle Mariners +1.5 -130

I'll take the M's getting a solid +1.5 run line price with Vargas on the hill at home, where he is 5-2 with an ERA of only 2.23 this season. The Rangers are 1-8 in Lewis' last 9 starts with 5 days of rest and 0-4 in their last 4 games vs. a team with a winning % below .400. Combine these numbers with the fact that Seattle will be hungry following a winless road trip, and we have ourselves a solid opportunity.

(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Steve Janus

San Francisco Giants vs. Colorado Rockies
Pick: San Francisco Giants

I like the Giants to come away with a big in on the road over the Rockies on Tuesday. The Giants will start Jonathan Sanchez, who is 7-6 with a 3.54 ERA on the season, compared to the Rockies starter Aaron Cook who has a 4-7 record with a 5.08 ERA. Cook has been even worse of late with a 6.59 ERA in his last three starts. Bet the Giants!

Top Trends for Giants

*SAN FRANCISCO is 17-5 against the money line vs. teams whose hitters strike out 7 or more times/game in the second half of the season this season.
*SAN FRANCISCO is 20-6 against the money line vs. teams averaging 2.75 or less extra base hits per game in the second half of the season this season.
*COOK is 3-12 against the money line in home games after 3 or more consecutive wins.

Posted : August 3, 2010 1:06 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Doug Upstone

Cincinnati Reds vs. Pittsburgh Pirates
Play: Cincinnati Reds

The Cincinnati Reds routed Pittsburgh 4-0 last night and send to the rubber their exceptional youngster Mike Leake (7-2, 3.57). The rookie has been up and down more of late, however with Pittsburgh scoring two runs in the last 38 innings that might not matter. The Pirates are 1-12 revenging a shutout loss to same opponent this season and NL teams with an on-base percentage of .310 or worse on the year after scoring two runs or less four straight games, are 20-51 in last 71 tries.

Posted : August 3, 2010 1:07 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: