2 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chris Jordan

Floirda at WASHINGTON -120
FOR THE LARGEST SELECTION OF FREE SERVlCE PLAYS VlSlT THESPREAD.COM
Though Washington starter John Lannan comes in off a rough outing he’d like to forget – a 5-4 setback against the Pirates at PNC Park – I like his chances tonight, as the Nationals ride into this game with some nice momentum. The Nationals may have the worst record in the majors, but they’ve won three straight and are now 9-6 since losing six in a row from July 12-20.

Adam Dunn has suddenly caught fire, as he’s driven in six runs during this three-game win streak, while he’s blasted three home runs and produced 10 RBI against the Marlins this season.
Washington is 2-1 in Lannan’s last three outings, in which he’s produced a 2.25 ERA, and I’m betting he’s going to get revenge on the Fish in this one for a 0-1 mark and 6.75 ERA in two starts against them this season.

Lay the chalk with Washington today.
1♦ NATIONALS

Posted : August 5, 2009 12:15 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jeff Benton

NY Yankees at TORONTO +105
It took 13 innings, but the wait was worth it as the Rays got a walk-off homer from Evan Longoria and beat the Red Sox on Tuesday, giving me yet another free-play winner. I’m now on a 19-9 roll with freebies, and I’ll build on that mark Wednesday by backing the Blue Jays against the Yankees.

What makes me think Toronto can beat the Bronx Bombers with a rookie pitcher on the hill when they lost 5-3 last night despite a complete-game effort from Roy Halladay? Well, first off, New York had a red-hot Andy Pettitte pitching last night, and Pettitte dominated Toronto’s offense. Tonight, the Yanks are going with Sergio Mitre, who has given up 4, 4 and 5 runs in his first three starts since being called up from Triple-A, pitching a total of just 13 2/3 innings. That equates to a 7.90 ERA, and Mitre is allowing just a shade under two baserunners per inning.
On Friday at the White Sox, Mitre didn’t even get an out in the fourth inning, allowing five runs on seven hits in a 10-5 road loss. Going back to 2007, Mitre – who didn’t pitch in the big leagues last year – has gone nine consecutive starts without a quality outing in the big leagues. His ERA during this nine-start stretch is a whopping 9.24.

As for Blue Jays rookie left-hander Marc Rzepczynski, he’s pitched much better than his 1-2 record. He’s given up three earned runs or fewer in his first five big-league starts, and he’s got a 3.25 ERA overall and a scant 2.61 ERA in two home starts. Yes, Rzepczynski has to face a powerful Yankees lineup tonight, but one thing I’ve learned about New York in recent years is its veteran hitters struggle against pitchers they’ve never seen before.

Finally, despite winning in Toronto last night, the Yankees are still just 4-7 in their last 11 road games and 1-7 in their last eight as a road chalk. Fade the less-than-mediocre Mitre in this one take the plus money with the Jays.
4♦ TORONTO

Posted : August 5, 2009 12:17 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Roz Juarbe
Angels at White Sox
The Angels have been hot, especially on offense, and they are in a pennant race, trying to stay ahead of Texas. Starter Sean O’Sullivan came up from Triple A and has been terrific, with a 3-0 record and a 3.72 ERA. Chicago has been hot and cold offensively and starter Gavin Floyd is 0-2 against these LA Angels. A good spot for the hot visiting dog, Play the Angels.

Posted : August 5, 2009 12:37 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: