Free Picks: Free Service Plays for Monday, April 17th, 2017

35 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chris Jordan

Tonight I'm playing the Oakland Athletics over the visiting Texas Rangers.

I know both of these teams are headed in the wrong direction, as both are mired in three-game skids. But given the Rangers are the road team in this one, I have to side with the A's to snap their skid first.

The Rangers arrive after being swept in Seattle, and replacing the Mariners in the cellar of the American League West.

The Rangers and A's played last weekend in Arlington, where the Rangers took two of three. This week Oakland will be looking for a bit of revenge.

Let's play the Athletics tonight as my free winner.

4* ATHLETICS

Posted : April 17, 2017 4:58 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Eric Schroeder

My free winner for Monday night is on the Seattle Mariners, laying the chalk against the Miami Marlins, as the two open their Interleague series at Safeco Field.

I won't list either starting pitcher - Tom Koehler or Ariel Miranda - as they won't matter in this game.

Seattle has won three in a row, and will catch what could be a very tired Miami team that finished up with a four-game home series against the New York Mets, yesterday. The Marlins then had to travel to the Pacific Northwest for tonight's game, which begins at 10:10 p.m. Miami time.

This game opens a nine-game junket that will take the Marlins to Seattle, San Diego and Philadelphia. Tonight also marks the Marlins' seventh game in as many nights.

Seattle is in a good position to sweep this series, to be quite honest, so don't be surprised if we're riding the M's this week.

5* MARINERS

Posted : April 17, 2017 4:58 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Ray Monohan

Pacers vs. Cavaliers
Play: Pacers +8½

The Pacers were the free pick the in game against the Cavaliers and they paid out, and they will again on Monday night. In game one the Cavaliers only won by one point and I expect this game to be very close too.

The Cavaliers aren't playing good defense right now and Paul George and the Pacers are taking advantage of that. I expect Paul George to have at least thirty points in this game and the Cavaliers to have no answer for him. Some trends to note. Pacers are 7-0 ATS in their last 7 vs. Eastern Conference. Cavaliers are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 home games. Pacers are 5-1 ATS in the last 6 meetings in Cleveland. Pacers are 9-2-1 ATS in the last 12 meetings.

Posted : April 17, 2017 4:59 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Tony Karpinski

Grizzlies vs. Spurs
Play: Under 190

The first game of this series went Over on a backdoor 3-pointer at the buzzer by the Grizzlies, but Over bettors shouldn't have needed such a sweat. The total was close only because of the Grizzlies' second-half implosion. If Memphis wants to be competitive they are going to have to play much better defense here tonight.

Posted : April 17, 2017 5:00 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Oskeim Sports

Miami Marlins at Seattle Mariners
Play: Seattle Mariners -140

Seattle is a profitable 9-3 in its last twelve interleague games versus right-handed starters, 7-3 in its last ten interleague home games and 4-1 in Ariel Miranda's last five starts.

In contrast, the Marlins are a money-burning 8-21 in their last 29 interleague games, 1-8 in their last nine interleague road games versus left-handed starters and 1-9 in Tom Koehler's last ten starts overall.

Miranda pitched much better at home last season where he posted a 3.17 ERA and 1.03 WHIP in 37.0 innings of work. The 28-year-old southpaw garnered a 23.9% strikeout rate at Safeco Field and should have success against a Miami lineup that is averaging just 4.0 runs per game against left-handed starters this season.

While Koehler toes the rubber with a 3.27 ERA and 1.27 WHIP in 2017, his peripherals tell an entirely different story. The 30-year-old owns a 6.93 FIP and 5.13 xFIP in 11.0 innings pitched, together with woeful strikeout (11.4%) and walk (11.4%) rates.

Koehler has also been the beneficiary of an unsustainable .194 BABIP. He now faces a solid Seattle lineup that is averaging 5.2 runs per game at home (.359 OBP; .816 OPS).

Posted : April 17, 2017 5:01 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: