32 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

DAVE COKIN

LOS ANGELES ANGELS OVER 79.5 WINS

One of my 2016 O/U plays was Under on the Angels. That one was basically never in doubt, as the Halos had a rough time throughout and finished with a mediocre 74-88 ledger. I’m expecting considerable improvement in 2017.

First off, it’s hard to fathom the team having as much bad luck as they did in 2016. This was a Murphy’s Law campaign on several levels. Aside from another sensational performance by Mike Trout, there was very little to cheer about in Angels country.

Here are some reasons for Halos faithful to be optimistic in 2017. I’ll start with the added quality depth, which over the course of the arduous MLB season, is a factor that should never be overlooked. I like the additions of Luis Valbuena in the infield and Ben Revere in the outfield. Being able to plug in guys of that caliber is a nice luxury.

The everyday outfield has been upgraded with Cameron Maybin joining Trout and Kole Calhoun. Health is always an issue with Maybin, but I can see him flourishing in left field. Calhoun is solid in right, and Trout is Trout. Not much more needs to be said about the best player in the game.

The infield looks okay to me. CJ Cron and Valbuena will perhaps evolve into a first base platoon, but Valbuena down for a bit with a hamstring, Cron will be the everyday guy. Danny Espinosa will be at second base, and while his bat is always going to be a question, his glove isn’t. Andrelton Simmons might well be the best shortstop I’ve ever seen. Simmons will never be a great hitter but he’s a huge asset with his incredible defense. Yunel Escobar has never really lived to what many thought he might be, and he’s not exactly Brook Robinson at the hot corner, but he should be okay with Jefry Marte in reserve.

My biggest worry on this team is being the plate. The Angels are going too have to make do with a pair of backup catchers. The hope is that the Maldonado-Perez combo does a good job handling the pitching staff, which would alleviate the legit concerns about each player’s lack of offense.

Albert Pujols is probably never going to hit .300 again. But don’t bet against the veteran being very productive as the DH.

As for the pitching, I think this could turn out to be somewhat of a plus for the Halos. There are no Cy Young contenders on this staff. But Matt Shoemaker, Garrett Richards, Tyler Skaggs, Ricky Nolasco and Jesse Chavez are not the worst quintet of all time, either. Shoemaker is likely the most reliable of the bunch, Richards has the most upside if healthy. Skaggs is a lefty I’m still somewhat high on, though his durability is absolutely a question. Nolasco and Chavez as a #4-5 combo is acceptable.

I am bullish on the bullpen to some extent. Cam Bedrosian is looking like he’s arriving as a late running stud. I don’t think there should be any debate whatsoever as to who closes for this team. Huston Street is far better served as a setup man if and when he is healthy enough to pitch again. Yusmeiro Petit is a plus in the bullpen. He might have to start on occasion, but he’s much better as a reliever. The rest of the relievers are not stars but manager Mike Scioscia is still very adept at maneuvering his bullpen.

I don’t see the Angels as contenders to make the playoffs, but I like their chances of climbing back on the right side of the .500 plateau. Clearly, they have to avoid a rerun of the injury luck that reared its head last year. I’m projecting the Angels to win roughly 82 games, and that’s enough of a differential from the posted number to go with the Over.

Posted : March 27, 2017 12:29 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Doc's Sports

Cavaliers vs. Spurs
Play:: Cavaliers +5

It’s not often you get a relatively healthy Cavs team as this big of an underdog but we like them tonight to cover this big number in San Antonio. The Cavs have covered in three of the last four meetings, and the game they didn’t cover, the last one, they lost in overtime in a game they easily could have won. Cleveland has been up and down lately and they had a pretty rough recent road trip. Their first game back at home didn’t go much better with a loss to the Wizards. But that makes this game all the more important with the playoffs approaching and with the need for some positive momentum. The Cavs don’t normally take the regular season that seriously but we expect their best effort tonight.

Posted : March 27, 2017 2:06 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brandon Lee

Pistons vs. Knicks
Play: Pistons -2½

As bad as the Knicks have been playing, Detroit shouldn't be a road favorite here given they have lost 3 straight, are 1-6 in their last 7 and 11-25 on the road this season. I believe the fact that the oddsmakers have listed the Pistons as the favorite, makes them the smart play here, especially given the public jumping on New York as a short home dog. The big thing to keep in mind here is that Detroit is the only team with something to play for, as they are only 1-game back of the Heat for the final playoff spot in the east. Let's also not overlook these two teams just played recently on March 11th and the Pistons won in blowout fashion 112-92. Knicks have trailed by double-digits at the break in each of their last 2 games and are a mere 4-16 ATS in the last 3 seasons after trailing by 10 or more points at the half in back-to-back games.

Posted : March 27, 2017 2:23 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

John Martin

Pistons vs. Knicks
Play: Knicks +2½

The Detroit Pistons are broken right now. They are just 1-6 SU & 1-6 ATS in their last seven games overall with their only win coming at home against the Suns. They have lost their last two games by 22 at Chicago and by 28 at Orlando. It appears that they have packed it in. The Knicks have at least been competitive of late, going 4-2 ATS in their last six games overall. They haven't quit and will certainly be looking to take down the Pistons tonight. Detroit is 11-25 on the road this season, while New York is a respectable 16-18 at home. Detroit is 4-17 ATS when the line is +3 to -3 this season. The Pistons are 0-5 ATS in their last five road games.

Posted : March 27, 2017 2:24 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Black Widow

Pistons vs. Knicks
Play: Pistons -2½

Bets against any team (New York) off a road cover where they lost straight up as an underdog against an pponent off an upset loss of 10 points or more as a road favorite are 43-14 ATS since 1996. This is the first game back home following a 4-game West Coast trip for the Knicks, which is always a tough spot for an East Coast team. The Knicks have lost five straight and eight of their last nine. The Pistons are struggling too, but they still have a a lot to play for as they are only one game back of the Miami Heat for the No. 8 seed.

Posted : March 27, 2017 2:24 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dave Price

Cavaliers vs. Spurs
Play:: Cavaliers +5

It's not often that you'll get the opportunity to back the defending champion Cavaliers as 5-point underdogs. I think the value is there to pull the trigger on them today against the Spurs. Cleveland is trying to hold on to the No. 1 seed in the East as it leads Boston by mere percentage points. And Lebron James and company will want revenge from a 115-118 (OT) loss to the Spurs earlier this season. The Spurs' last three wins over the Cavs have all come by 4 points or less. San Antonio is 5-14 ATS after 4 or more consecutive wins this season. The Spurs are 2-9 ATS in their last 11 games following a straight up win. The road team is 5-1 ATS in the last 6 meetings.

Posted : March 27, 2017 2:25 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

RJ Robbins

New Orleans vs. Utah
Play: New Orleans +7

The Pelicans are auditioning their version on 'TWIN' Towers for 2018 early. They are a very nice 9-3 ATS in 12 March games. They are 4-1 both SU & ATS their last last 5 games while the Jazz are 1-4 SU and 0-4 ATS their last 5 games. Utah has defeated New Orleans twice this season and 1-0-1 ATS. We will grab the points!

Posted : March 27, 2017 2:26 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bruce Marshall

Magic at Raptors
Pick: Under

Double-revenge game for Toronto, which is chasing Boston for the Atlantic Division title and still hasn't salted away the homecourt edge in the first round of the playoffs. The Raptors have played much-improved defense since the All-Star break, holding foes to 97.6 ppg in the 13 games since, compared with 104.3 ppg prior to that. But minus Kyle Lowry, the offense has been held to 102 or fewer in 9 of the last 11 games, and Raps on 13-6 "under" run.

Posted : March 27, 2017 6:13 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Big Al

Nashville @ New York
Pick: New York

The Eastern Conference of the NHL is decidedly stronger than the West this season. And these two teams are a perfect example of that. Nashville has the better overall record, and although the Predators sport a winning record within their own conference at 25-21, they fare much worse when going up against teams from the East (13-18). Conversely, the Islanders have an overall record of just 35-39, but against Western teams, they are 14-12, while logging a losing record at 21-27 against clubs from their own conference. So with their post-season chances hanging on by a thread with just eight games to go, the Islanders only have two more chances to prove their dominance over the West and both of those are against the Predators, beginning with tonight at home (they visit Nashville next Tuesday). So not only can the Isles improve their post-season position tonight, but they can also play the role of spoiler as the Preds are also vying for playoff honors - albeit in a better position than New York right now. The Preds are 1-4 in the last five meetings in New York and the home team is 5-1 in the last six meetings.

Posted : March 27, 2017 6:14 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Frank Sawyer

Pelicans vs. Jazz
Play: Jazz -6

Take the Utah Jazz minus the points versus the New Orleans Pelicans. Utah (44-29) has lost four of their last five games with their 108-95 loss in Los Angeles to the Clippers on Saturday. The Jazz have covered the point spread just once in their last five games — but they have covered the point spread in 63 of their last 90 games after failing to cover the point spread in four of their last five games. Utah has also covered the point spread in 7 of their last 9 games after a double-digit loss. New Orleans (31-42) has won four of their last five games after their 115-90 win at Denver last night. The Pelicans are then 1-5-1 ATS in their last 7 games when playing without a day of rest. New Orleans is also just 1-3-1 ATS in their last 5 road games against teams with a winning percentage over 60% on their home court. The Jazz are banged up — but they have clinched their part in the Western Conference playoffs. They need to get back to their winning ways with this being a great opportunity.

Posted : March 27, 2017 6:15 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

ASA

Magic vs. Raptors
Play: Raptors -7

We like the value with the Toronto Raptors at home minus (-7) over the visiting Orlando Magic. Tipoff is 7:35PM ET. VALUE...the line opened on this game a full 2-points higher than it currently sits and should have opened higher yet in our opinion. Early in the season the Raptors were -11 at home over Orlando and most recently (Feb 3rd) they were minus -5-points at Orlando. Now they are laying just a few more points on their own court? Toronto has the 6th best home court point differential at +7.7PPG with a 24-12 SU record. The Raps are on a 5 game winning streak and are getting it done on the defensive end of the court by holding 4 of those opponents to 91 or less points. Toronto is 6-2 SU their last 8 at home with the two losses coming to Oklahoma City and Washington who are both far superior to the Magic. Orlando has been a huge disappointment this season with a 12-24 SU road record and the 3rd worst road point differential of minus -8.1PPG. Orlando has offensive and defensive efficiency ratings that rank in bottom 10 of the league when playing away from home. The Magic have won 3 of their last four games but look at who those W's came against, Phoenix, Philly and a struggling Detroit team that has just 1 win in their last seven games. The Magic are just 2-8 SU their last ten road games and one of those victories was in Phoenix recently who has cashed in this season. Five of Orlando's last 8 road losses have come by double digits.

Posted : March 27, 2017 6:16 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brad Wilton

Monday night comp play is the Spurs over the Cavaliers.

San Antonio is going for the regular season sweep of the defending NBA Champs, as they were able to win outright in overtime earlier this year at Cleveland.

The Spurs have also won 4 of the last 5 series meetings in San Antonio, with 3 covers in those 5 games.

Cleveland is in danger of dropping out of the top-spot in the Eastern Conference, as they have lost 3 of their last 5 games overall, and the Cavs are just 3-6 straight up their last 9 on the road!

San Antonio is keeping pace in the West as they vie for the top-seed, and they have won 4 in a row and 6 of their last 8 overall heading into this home affair.

Going to play against the Cavs until they show me they can win away from home.

Go with the Spurs.

2* SAN ANTONIO

Posted : March 27, 2017 6:16 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jack Brayman

My free pick for Monday is on the Utah Jazz, at home against the New Orleans Pelicans.

Though Utah clinched a playoff spot last night, it cannot afford to sleep on that berth, as it is clinging to a one-game lead over the Los Angeles Clippers in the battle for the No. 4 seed in the Western Conference.

See, the Clippers own the tiebreaker over Utah, after winning the season series 3-1, including a 108-95 win on Saturday. The last thing the Jazz want is to give the Clippers an edge, as Los Angeles has won 18 of the last 20 meetings. And if the two meet in the postseason, the Jazz will want homecourt advantage.

The Pels were in Denver last night, and could come in a bit winded after playing in the Mile High City last night, and now having to play in high-altitude Salt Lake City.

The Jazz won both previous meetings with New Orleans this season, and will make it three in a row tonight.

5* JAZZ

Posted : March 27, 2017 6:17 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Buster Sports

Detroit Pistons at New York Knicks
Play: Detroit Pistons -2.5

The Pistons are in a dogfight for a playoff spot and tonight they get to play the slumping Knicks. Now the Pistons have been playing some terrible basketball of late but they still are only one game back of eighth-place Miami for the final playoff spot. Detroit has 9 games left and one of those are against the Heat. Tonight is time for them to get back on track as they face a New York club who has lost 8 of their last 9 games. At the time of this writing Carmelo Anthony is still questionable for the Knicks. The Pistons have beaten the Knicks two out of 3 times this year and New Y

Posted : March 27, 2017 6:17 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Carmine Bianco

Predators at Islanders
Play: Over 6

This total hung around 5.5 earlier in the day and has now settled at where I believe it should be. Expecting these sides to get past this total on Monday night. Last 4 have averaged 7 GPG and tonight's shouldn't be any different. I'm leaning on a Nashville win but the Islanders won't go down without a fight tonight so it's the Total for me.

Posted : March 27, 2017 6:18 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share: