52 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Vernon Croy

Lakers / Suns Over 230

This pick falls into one of my top NBA systems and I have this game flying over the total Thursday night. We have two of the worst defensive teams in the NBA playing Thursday night with the Lakers allowing 110.8 ppg this season, and the Suns allowing 112.5 ppg this season. Opponents have shot 47% against the Suns this season, including 38.4% from beyond the arc. Opponents have shot 47.9% against the Lakers this season, including 36.5% from beyond the arc, so you can expect both of these teams to get a boost offensively Thursday night. The Suns have averaged 107.5 ppg this season and the Lakers have averaged 103.9 ppg this season. The last time these teams met on February 15 there was 238 total points scored, and I expect another high-scoring affair Thursday night.

Posted : March 9, 2017 8:13 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Andrew Gold

Miami vs. North Carolina
Play: North Carolina -8

North Carolina is by far the superior team. They are one of the most balanced teams in the country. I know Roy isn't always fond of the ACC Tournament, but Miami brings nothing to the table in order to stop them. UNC IMO is still playing for something as they want a #1 seed so you can expect them to show up. Also, Miami already has one battle under their belts and they looked really tired down the stretch yesterday against Cuse.

Posted : March 9, 2017 9:46 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dave Cokin

Lakers vs. Suns
Play: Suns -6

I’m reluctant to buy into the actual tanking talk, but I do think there’s substance to the thought that the Lakers aren’t exactly focused on winning right now.

There’s really nothing positive to say about the team at this time. The problems begin at the top with the apparent family feud that has been taking place. I can see a case being made that this stuff has a domino effect that impacts the performance of the players and their ability, or lack of same, to function as a unit. Whether that theory has any legs is debatable, but what isn’t is that this is a terrible team right now.

The Suns are definitely not tanking. Phoenix is playing with tremendous enthusiasm and I don’t see any reason that won’t be the case again tonight. My only holdup on adding this as an official play are a couple of injury notes on the Phoenix side. But if all hands are on deck, I will be laying the points with the Suns tonight.

Posted : March 9, 2017 9:47 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

David Banks

Los Angeles vs. Phoenix
Play: Los Angeles +6.5

The two teams with the worst records in the NBA face off against each other on Thursday. The Los Angeles Lakers, 19-43 as of March 5, are one game behind Phoenix (20-42). The Lakers have been struggling since the All-Star break having lost six in a row and their leading scorer, Lou Williams, who the Lakers traded away to play alongside James Harden in Houston. Los Angeles hasn’t played well against the Suns either, dropping two of three games thus far this season. The last two times the teams met, Phoenix guard Eric Bledsoe recorded his third career triple-double as the Suns trounced the Lakers, 137-101.

Bledsoe is the lone bright spot on Suns team that is devoid of talent in the frontcourt. Bledsoe averages 21.1 points and 6.4 assists per game while his backcourt mate Devin Booker adds 20.8 points a game. The Suns beat Charlotte and Oklahoma City in consecutive games last week but, for the most part, Phoenix has struggled. Head coach Earl Watson’s team plays better at home. Of the Suns’ 20 wins, 12 are at the Talking Stick Resort Arena.

The Lakers are not only in turmoil on the court; the franchise’s ownership has come under fire. The Buss family has kept lawyers busy for the past week as family members fight it out for control of the franchise. The off-the-court chaos is carrying over onto the floor and somehow head coach Luke Walton needs to make it end. Neither team is very good defensively. Los Angeles is 27th in the NBA in points allowed per game (110.9). Phoenix is 29th (112.6).

Posted : March 9, 2017 9:48 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Mike Rose

Indiana vs. Iowa
Play: Indiana -1

The Hoosiers own a huge advantage on the glass with them outrebounding all foes by an average of 8.0 rebounds per game. Iowa checks in just about even. That advantage however didn’t play out in the team’s lone meeting in Iowa City where the Hawkeyes hung tough only losing the battle of the boards 36-33. Most importantly, they also competed on the offensive glass snagging 12 of their own to Indiana’s 14. Thomas Bryant went for a game-high 11 rebounds, but he’ll need to take his game to the next level to get his club into the next round.

Iowa hasn’t logged a win in the B1G tourney since trouncing Northwestern back in 2013. It’s been three straight first game exits for the Hawkeyes since, but they went on to partake in the NCAA Tournament immediately after. That won’t be the case here today. If they fall to the Hoosiers, they’re done. Likewise for Indiana who needs only to win this tournament to have a shot at lacing up their dancing shoes. Iowa was the beneficiary of some major home cooking in shooting 47 free throws to the Hoosiers 19 in their OT victory. That won’t occur here on a neutral court. I actually have Indiana pegged as making some noise in this tournament, and for that to occur, they have to get by Iowa first. I expect them to do just that.

Posted : March 9, 2017 9:50 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Will Rogers

Nashville vs. Los Angeles
Pick: Los Angeles -135

The set-up: The 32-24-10 Nashville Predators finished February with a flourish, scoring 19 goals during their four-game winning streak. However, the offense has taken a step back in a three-game winless skid (0-2-1) to open the month of March. The Predators look to get it together tonight, when they continue their trek through California by visiting the 31-28-6 Los Angeles Kings. The Kings are just 4-7-2 in their last 13 games and with 68 points, are three points 'south' of the West's final wild card spot (Blues own 71 points).

Nashville: The Predators have stopped scoring, with just seven goals during their current losing streak. Captain Mike Fisher has eclipsed last season's totals in goals (16), assists (22) and points (38), plus leads the team in hits (135) and owns a 54.2 percent faceoff efficiency that is the best of his career. Nashville centers Johansen and Forberg are tied for the team lead in points (51) but the team's fourth center, Calle Jarnkrok, has 15 points (seven goals & eight assists) in the past 19 games.

LA Kings: Tanner Pearson is enjoying a career season by setting personal bests in both goals (22) and points (40), but the 24-year-old isn't too keen on discussing the business side of hockey at the moment , which has him becoming a restricted free agent on July 1. LA's leading scorer is Jeff Carter (30 goals and 26 assists) scored a goal in each game against the Predators this season and has 25 points (16 goals, nine assists) in 24 career games against Nashville.

The pick: The Kings haven't played since losing 4-3 at home to the Vancouver Canucks on Saturday night. They took Sunday off and practiced hard Monday and Wednesday. The Predators are hoping to avoid a season-long four-game losing streak tonight but they've lost four of their last five to the Kings overall, most recently a 4-0 shutout in Nashville back on Dec. 22.

Posted : March 9, 2017 11:11 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

TJ Masterline

Wild vs. Lightning
Play: Under 5.5

So we haven't lost in the last 30 days with our NHL plays. We plan on keeping that streak in tact tonight with our totals play in Tampa Bay. Play on the under tonight. Here are some stats to back up our play: Under is 3-0-1 in the last 4 meetings in Tampa Bay. Under is 3-0-1 in the last 4 meetings. Under is 4-1 in Wild last 5 games playing on 1 days rest. Under is 18-6-8 in Wild last 32 vs. Atlantic. Under is 5-1-2 in Lightning last 8 vs. Western Conference. Under is 4-1-1 in Lightning last 6 after scoring 2 goals or less in their previous game. Under is 9-3 in Lightning last 12 home games vs. a team with a road winning % of greater than .600. Under is 5-2-1 in Lightning last 8 after allowing 2 goals or less in their previous game.

Posted : March 9, 2017 11:12 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Info Plays

CS-Northridge vs. CS-Fullerton
Play: CS-Northridge +2½

I have a couple of systems backing our pick. Northridge is 2-12 ATS (-11.2 Units) after allowing 80 points or more this season. Northridge is 3-12 ATS (-10.2 Units) after 1 or more consecutive losses this season.

Posted : March 9, 2017 11:12 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brad Wilton

Thursday's comp play will be Davidson and La Salle to add up to an Over in your first Atlantic Ten game of the day from PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh.

The Wildcats did slip Over the posted price in their last regular season game, an overtime affair against Rhode Island, as Davidson has now played 4 of their last 5 games Over the posted price.

The Explorers have held Under in 6 of their last 8 games, but this La Salle team is capable of putting some points on the scoreboard, and I expect them to come out firing today against a Davidson team they bested 91-83 earlier this year on their home floor in Philadelphia.

I don't think we will see another combined 174-points on Thursday afternoon, but with both of these teams needing to win this tournament to make the Big Dance, expect the Wildcats big guns of Gibbs and Aldridge to be ready to tickle the twine, and expect the Explorers scorers of Price, Johnson and Powell to net a few scores of their own.

Davidson-La Salle Over the total.

3* DAVIDSON-LA SALLE OVER

Posted : March 9, 2017 11:13 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Carmine Bianco

Ajax Amsterdam at FC Copenhagen
Play: FC Copenhagen

A play on home side Copenhagen who are a PICK (2 way line) laying a little more vig then I'd usually play but they should secure a result in Leg 1 at home. Copenhagen only lost 1 match in Champions League group stage play but 3 draws saw them finish behind Leicester City and Porto and cross over to the Europa League playoffs where they took care of another 3rd place Champions League side Ludogorets. They'll play a good Ajax side that are currently 2nd in Holland's Eredivisie league but this Copenhagen side have been great at home with a 10W 2D record in league play while outscoring opponents 31-2 and a 4W 3D record in Cup play.

Posted : March 9, 2017 11:15 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brian Edwards

Vanderbilt vs. Texas A&M
Play: Vanderbilt -4

Vanderbilt has won five of its last six games while going 6-0 against the spread. The only loss during this span came at Kentucky in a game Bryce Drew's team led by by double digits for most of the first half. I'm not necessarily implying this is a good thing for Thursday's game, but Vandy did beat A&M twice during the regular season, including a 68-54 beat down in College Station.

Posted : March 9, 2017 11:17 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brad Powers

UTEP +3

No surprise here as I'm backing the hottest ATS team in the country in UTEP who has covered 13 games in a row including my Game of the Year on Saturday. They are also only 5 points away from having an incredible 15-0 SU run which is a far cry from their 2-13 SU start to the season. The Miners won the earlier meeting between these two 79-71 (+8 ) back on February 18th. They have the massive defensive edge (No. 127 vs No. 208) and catch Rice off a tougher than expected game vs Southern Miss yesterday.

Posted : March 9, 2017 12:52 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

John Martin

Lakers vs. Suns
Play: Suns -5½

If any team is tanking right now it's clearly the Los Angeles Lakers. They are 0-8 SU & 0-7-1 ATS in their last eight games overall. Not only are they losing, they are getting blown out as six of their last seven losses have come by 8 points or more. Phoenix has fought hard since the All-Star Break and is 3-1 SU & 4-0 ATS in its last four games overall. The Suns have home wins over the Hornets, Thunder and Celtics during this stretch, and a narrow 4-point loss to the Wizards. I'll back the team playing the better basketball right now at home in the Suns as small favorite.

Posted : March 9, 2017 12:53 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brandon Lee

Indiana vs. Iowa
Play: Iowa +2

The Hawkeyes simply aren't getting the respect they deserve. Despite finishing 10-8 in the Big Ten they are still not considered a tournament team, which I believe is an absolute joke. I look for Iowa to come out with a chip on their shoulder against the Hoosiers and the Hawkeyes come into this game playing their best basketball of the season. Iowa has won 4 straight, which includes wins on the road against both Maryland and Wisconsin. While the Hawkeyes are surging, the Hoosiers comes in with a 3-8 record over their last 11 games. Indiana is a mere 1-7 ATS in their last 8 games with a line of +3 to -3 and 0-6 ATS in their last 6 road games when playing on their 2nd game in a week.

Posted : March 9, 2017 12:54 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jack Jones

Indiana vs. Iowa
Play: Iowa +2

The Iowa Hawkeyes have played themselves onto the bubble of the NCAA Tournament by playing their best basketball of the season down the stretch. They are 4-0 SU & 4-0 ATS in their last four games overall with some impressive wins along the way.

They beat Indiana 96-90 in overtime, won 83-69 at Maryland as 6.5-point road dogs and upset Wisconsin 59-57 as 11.5-point road dogs. They also thumped Penn State 90-79 at home as 7.5-point favorites to close out the regular season. Now they aren't getting the respect they deserve once again as 2-point dogs to Indiana here.

The Hoosiers have been a mess in Big Ten play, especially down the stretch. They are just 3-8 SU & 4-6-1 ATS in their last 11 games overall. Oh how far this team has fallen since some impressive non-conference wins early in the season over Kansas and UNC.

Indiana is 1-7 ATS when the line is +3 to -3 this season. The Hoosiers are 0-7 ATS in road games vs. good passing teams who average 16 or more assists per game over the last three seasons. Indiana is 15-35-1 ATS in its last 51 games following an ATS win. The Hoosiers are 8-20-1 ATS in their last 29 neutral site games as a favorite. The Hawkeyes are 17-7 ATS in the last 24 meetings.

Posted : March 9, 2017 12:54 pm
Page 2 / 4
Share: