Free Picks: Free Service Plays for Thursday, May 25th, 2017

37 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brad Wilton

Thursday comp play is the underdog Celts plus the points at home against the Cavs.

Let's face it, it is only a matter of time before the Cavaliers eliminate the Celtics, and in all probability, the elimination will happen tonight on the parquet floor.

Still, the points here are too enticing to pass upon, as Boston has shown some life after getting blown out in Games One and Two.

The C's stole Game Three outright in Cleveland on Sunday, and the lead after 3 quarters of play in Game Four on Tuesday before losing by double-digits. Boston did earn the cover on Tuesday, as they have now covered in the last pair in this series.

The oddsmakers have inflated the number in this series, and tonight's line is a little too high for me to back the Cavs on the road.

Take Boston as the home underdog.

3* BOSTON

Posted : May 25, 2017 3:59 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jack Brayman

My free pick for today is on the the Boston Celtics +5.5 against the Cleveland Cavaliers in the first half of Game 5. Let me repeat that: In. The. First. Half.

This is not a play on the game, it's on the first two quarters.

Boston has no choice but to show up in the first two periods, otherwise this game is over. There is no way the Celtics are coming from behind like they did in Game 3, if they fall behind. I don't care that this one is in Boston, the key for the C's is to win the first half, and hope they can maintain their momentum into the second half.

Boston should have enough confidence to play with the Cavaliers tonight, at least for 24 minutes. Cleveland coach Tyronn Lue is on record in saying it's tougher to defend the Celtics than the Warriors, so that is something to consider with the series shifting back to Boston.

I'll take the Celtics in the first half tonight, as they look to stay alive.

2* CELTICS FIRST HALF

Posted : May 25, 2017 3:59 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

JOHN MARTIN

Cardinals vs. Dodgers
Play: Cardinals +139

The St. Louis Cardinals won yesterday 6-1 as +140 dogs. They are priced in the same range tonight and I like the value we are getting with them. Michael Wacha has been great all season with a 2-1 record and 2.74 ERA over seven starts. Wacha is also 3-2 with a 2.23 ERA in six starts against the Dodgers all-time. Kenta Maeda is 3-2 with a 5.03 ERA for the Dodgers over seven starts. The Cardinals are 20-6 in their last 26 road games after allowing 2 runs or less. The Cardinals are 10-1 in their last 11 road games, including 8-0 in their last eight road games vs. a right-handed starter.

Posted : May 25, 2017 4:00 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

JACK JONES

Rangers vs. Red Sox
Play: Over 9

The Boston Red Sox are hitting the cover off the ball over their last three games. They have scored a combined 32 runs in their last three for an average of 10.7 per game. They could easily cover this OVER by themselves, but I expect them to get plenty of help from the Rangers as well.

Both starting pitchers are below average. Drew Pomeranz has gone 3-3 with a 4.97 ERA and 1.474 WHIP in eight starts for the Red Sox, including 0-2 with a 7.36 ERA and 2.000 WHIP in his last three. Pomeranz is 0-2 with a 10.00 ERA and 2.111 WHIP in two career starts against Texas.

Nick Martinez is 1-2 with a 4.33 ERA in six starts this season, including 1-2 with a 5.51 ERA and 1.592 WHIP in three road starts. Martinez has gone 0-2 with a 6.23 ERA and 1.962 WHIP in three career starts against Boston as well.

The OVER is 23-6-1 in Rangers last 30 vs. a team with a winning record. The OVER is 8-0 in Red Sox last eight after scoring 5 runs or more in their previous game. The OVER is 14-2 in Red Sox last 16 games overall.

Posted : May 25, 2017 4:01 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

DAVE PRICE

Diamondbacks vs. Brewers
Play: Diamondbacks -104

The Arizona Diamondbacks are 8-1 in their last 9 games overall. They have scored at least 5 runs in all 8 of those victories. The Milwaukee Brewers have lost 3 in a row and have given up a total of 25 runs in those 3 games. Zach Davies is in line to get rocked again here as he has a 5.44 ERA in 9 starts this year, and a 6.93 ERA in his 5 road starts. Robbie Ray has been great on the road this season, going 2-1 with a 1.03 ERA and 0.99 WHIP in 4 starts. The Brewers are 0-4 in Davies' last 4 home starts vs. a team with a winning record.

Posted : May 25, 2017 4:02 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

FRANK SAWYER

Senators vs. Penguins
Play: Penguins -190

I rarely recommend taking money-line favorites (in any sport) priced higher than -150 (representing 3:2 odds). Pittsburgh (62-27-6) thoroughly outplayed Ottawa (55-36-6) on Tuesday as they outshot them by a 46-30 margin. But the Senators started fast after being embarrassed in Game Five where they lost by a 7-0 margin — and they got great goaltending from Craig Anderson to help lead them to a 2-1 victory to force a climactic Game Seven. But it will be difficult for the Senators to win a second straight game with the defending champions getting so many more chances on net. Just like in their Game Seven against Washington, expect the difference maker to be Sidney Crosby who remains the best player in the world despite the rumors of his demise after the third game of this series that — once again — proved to be premature.

Posted : May 25, 2017 4:03 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bob Balfe

DBacks/Brewers Over 8.5

The Brewers have been great against left handed pitching and the DBacks great against right handed pitching. This is a hitter friendly ball park so I think we will see fireworks early and often tonight. Look for a lot of runs.

Posted : May 25, 2017 5:10 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: