Clear all

Free Picks: Free Service Plays for Wednesday, April 19th, 2017

43 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Free Picks for Wednesday, April 19th, 2017 from some of the nations best and worst handicappers

Posted : April 19, 2017 9:27 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

DAVE COKIN

DUCKS AT FLAMES
PLAY: DUCKS +100

This play will not be on my personal service card today, but only because I already have a selection on the Ducks to win the series. Not much point the way I see it in playing this game with that being the case. But if I didn’t have that series ticket pending, I would be on Anaheim here.

This has been an incredibly frustrating series for Calgary. There’s actually a decent argument to be made that the Flames could have, perhaps even should have won any or each of the first three games.

But between bad bounces, soft goals and just general lousy luck, Calgary is buried. They’re still talking the way they’re supposed to, but I don’t believe anything I’m hearing. I think the Flames are a defeated team at this point.

Head Coach Glen Gulutzan had not committed to a goalie for Game Four as of yesterday. My guess is that Gully tries to catch lightning in a bottle by giving the assignment to Chad Johnson. I know I would, as Brian Elliot is not having a good series, and at this point, going to Johnson in hopes of a mental boost is probably a good idea.

But regardless of who plays, I think the Ducks have a very good chance to close things out tonight. They have all the momentum, and don’t discount that insane streak of home wins by Anaheim when facing the Flames.

I expect Calgary to try their best tonight, but this has been a Murphy’s Law series for the Flames. I’m relaxing in the clover for now with the Ducks series play, but I’ll make Anaheim the Wednesday comp play to wrap things up tonight.

Posted : April 19, 2017 9:28 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Vegas Butcher

Arizona Diamondbacks -130

The Padres could very well be the worst team in the majors. This offense is putrid and the BP is one of the worst in the league. D-backs rank 7th offensively against righties and Chacin is nothing special. I’ll back Greinke in this one.

St Louis Cardinals -120

Kang can’t get a VISA into the US, and Marte is suspended for 80 games due to PED’s. This bottom-5 Pirates offense is going to get worse…much worse going forward. Wacha is a top-30 pitcher and he’s undervalued at home.

Cincinnati Reds -105

Ubaldo Jimenez on a road is always a ‘fade possibility’. Baltimore has struggled against lefties on offense for a few years now, and this youngster Garrett is flashing some solid stuff. Good spot to back the Reds at home.

Posted : April 19, 2017 9:29 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jim Feist

Ducks vs. Flames
Play: Ducks -104

Calgary is home but shell-shocked, down 3-0. The Ducks rallied from a three-goal deficit to win, 5-4, and a take a 3-0 lead in the best-of-7 series with a comeback win in Game 3. The Flames lead reached 4-1 at 8:33 of the second period. Anaheim is 14-3 against the Western Conference, plus 14-2 versus a team with a winning record. Young Calgary has lost six in a row against winning teams and the Ducks are 40-13 in the last 53 meetings.

Posted : April 19, 2017 9:29 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Scott Spreitzer

Orioles vs. Reds
Play:Reds +102

Cincinnati won easily with Bronson Arroyo on the mound Tuesday night and now its impressive rookie, Amir Garrett, goes tonight after winning his first two starts while giving up only two runs and seven hits in 12 2/3 innings with nine strikeouts. Ubaldo Jimenez has been pounded to the tune of 10 runs and 15 hits, including three homers in 8 2/3 innings. Fortunately for him, he escaped taking the losses as the Orioles scored 18 runs in the two games and won both, but we feel his luck runs out in this matchup. The Reds sit atop the NL West with a 9-5 record after Adam Duvall hit a grand slam and totaled five RBIs in last night's win over the Orioles. Jimenez was 5-9 with a 7.38 ERA before the All-Star break in 2016 and he's off to a similar terrible start this year.

Posted : April 19, 2017 9:30 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Red Dog Sports

Juventus vs. Barcelona
Play: Under 3½

Juventus has a nice lead after the first leg and should focus on defense in this match that will be played in Barcelona. I think we see 3 goals in this Champions League match set for Wednesday afternoon.

Posted : April 19, 2017 9:30 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brandon Powell

Arizona at San Diego
Play: Arizona -133

The Diamondbacks have started out the season playing much better than they did last season. We are getting them at a great price today with Grienke, their ace, on the Mound. He has been great at Petco Park going 4-1 with a 1.90 ERA. His last 5 starts against the Padres have produced a 3-0 record with a 2.88 ERA. The Padres are in shambles, as they will be all season long. This is a team that just got swept by the Braves. Look for big nights from Paul Goldschmidt (.308) and AJ Pollack (3-4, 1HR). Take Arizona -133 confidently tonight.

Posted : April 19, 2017 9:31 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Rob Vinciletti

Diamondbacks vs. Padres
Play: Under 7½

The Padres are 7-1 under at night. Arizona has gone under 5 of the last 6 here in San Diego. Greinke goes for the Diamondbacks and he has pitched under in 3 of his last 4 road starts and 9 of 10 here in San Diego. Chacin for the Padres has pitched under in 7 of 9 April home starts and 5 of 8 at home vs Arizona and the last 3 times as a home dog. Look for a low scoring game in this one.

Posted : April 19, 2017 9:32 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Kevin Thomas

Hawks vs. Wizards
Play: Wizards -5

Yesterday all the road teams covered, but today we go small on the Wizards. They took game 1 after J Wall took over the 3rd quarter. Now the Hawks need to find an answer for him. Wizards average 110 at home and scored 114 the Hawks average 100 on the road and scored 107. Wizards remember last time the Hawks beat them in the playoffs and will take care of business tonight.

Posted : April 19, 2017 9:32 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dustin Hawkins

Orioles vs. Reds
Play: Reds -105

Buck Showalter is 47-54 against the money line as a road favorite of -110 or higher as the manager of Orioles. Baltimore is only 43-66 against the money line on the road when the money line is +125 to -125 over the last 3 seasons.

Posted : April 19, 2017 9:33 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Info Plays

Angels vs. Astros
Play: Astros -178

I have a few systems backing our pick. Houston is 19-7 (+13.2 Units) against the money line when playing on Wednesday over the last 2 seasons. Houston is 38-24 (+15.9 Units) against the money line with a tired bullpen - after 3 straight games throwing 4+ innings since 1997.

Posted : April 19, 2017 9:33 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chase Diamond

Capitals vs. Maple Leafs
Play: Capitals -146

Tonight this big NHL game features the Washington Capitals who are 1-2 taking on the Toronto Maple Leafs. There is no chance Washington does not get the win tonight in Toronto as another early exit as a Stanley Cup favorite is not something any of these players can stomach and you will see some major fight in them tonight. Yes Capitals is the public play but this is the right one take the Capitals.

Posted : April 19, 2017 9:34 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Mike Anthony

Atlanta vs. Washington
Play: Atlanta +5.5

The top-ranked scoring Gs of the Wizards have quite the challenge in this game, to keep up their hot shooting all game long this time. The Wizards won't have the open court and smoking hot shooting they have had previously. Atlanta is a tough matchup when backed into a corner, and they already are, down 0-2 isn't where they want to be - Atlanta is going to handle this with more aggression by the frontcourt. For Washington, they have to strongly continue to believe in their excellent backcourt talents and allow those talents to do the talking and let their scoring game show up. When playing Atlanta - though typically their big man in the middle, Marcin Gortat, of the Wizards haven't always done his job, with barely 9pts/game. Washington was not nearly good enough in Game 1 on the glass - and the Hawks will continue to get 2nd shots. Atlanta plays better in game 2 and gets the ATS Cover.

Posted : April 19, 2017 9:34 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Marc Lawrence

Arizona at San Diego
Pick: Arizona

Edges - Diamondbacks: Greinke 12-4 career team starts versus the Padres, including 7-3 in San Diego… Padres: Chacin 7.71 ERA and 2.25 WHIP this spring, and 7.80 ERA and 1.73 WHIP this season… With Greinke off a loss in his last start and 9-1 his last ten away team starts during April, we recommend a 1* play on Arizona.

Posted : April 19, 2017 9:35 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bruce Marshall

Orioles at Reds
Pick: Over

It has been a tough go for vet Bronson Arroyo, looking to make it back after two years sidelined by injuries. But with a 9.90 ERA in his first two starts, Arroyo is quickly running out of rope to stick in the Reds' rotation. Baltimore's heavy hitting lineup is an especially bad matchup, and figures to push this one "over" in the 1970 World Series rematch at Great American Ballpark tonight!

Posted : April 19, 2017 9:36 am
Page 1 / 3
Share: