Clear all

Free Picks: Free Service Plays for Wednesday, February 8th, 2017

38 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Free Picks for Wednesday, February 8th, 2017, from some of the nations best and worst handicappers

Posted : February 8, 2017 8:58 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

DAVE COKIN

HEAT VS. BUCKS
PLAY: HEAT +3.5

This is nothing short of amazing. Mid-January, the Heat are sitting at 11-30 and making plans to be a part of this year’s draft lottery. Now here we are in early February and Miami is now 22-30 as they’ve won 11 straight, and the Heat art now very much in the hunt to make the playoffs.

Granted, most of the wins in this torrid streak have been at home, but three of the victories are on the road and I can see Miami adding another win tonight.

Milwaukee finally won a game last time out as they blew up the Suns. But the Bucks are 2-10 in their last 12 games and they’re now on the outside looking in as far as the Eastern Conference playoff picture in concerned.

Miami might be playing way over its head right now, but I sure don’t want to get in their way at the present time. The Bucks are not sharp presently, and they’re also 0-6 straight up and against the spread when playing with three or more days rest this season. I’ll take the points with Miami in hopes that the surging Heat can keep the hot streak alive for at least one more night.

Posted : February 8, 2017 8:59 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jim Feist

Lakers vs. Pistons
Play: Under 217

LA is playing better defense and the Under is 13-3 in the Lakers last 16 vs. a team with a losing straight up record. Detroit plays its best defense at home and is 4-1 under the total against a team with a losing straight up record. And the Under is 8-2-1 in the last 11 meetings in Detroit.

Posted : February 8, 2017 9:00 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Scott Spreitzer

Western Illinois vs. Oral Roberts
Play: Oral Roberts -8½

ORU gets "just what the doctor ordered," in our opinion tonight when Western Illinois rolls into Tulsa. WIU has won just two of 12 road games this season, averaging just 66 ppg, while allowing 79 ppg. They're horrible on the defensive end on the deep perimeter away from home. The Leathernecks average about 8 1/2 fewer FTA per game than their hosts, and have a minus-7 rebound margin per game. ORU has been outstanding on the offensive end at Mabee Center where they average 82 ppg on 46% shooting. The Golden Eagles have hit 79% of their home FTA (20 out of 25.4 per game), and are outstanding home dishers, while keeping turnovers at a minimum. ORU puts four players in double digits in scoring per night and Jalen Bradley is outstanding at finding the open man. We believe this is a solid spot for ORU to get back in the win column with a spread-covering win.

Posted : February 8, 2017 9:00 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Marc Lawrence

Raptors vs. Wolves
Play: Wolves +3½

Edges - Timberwolves: 8-1 ATS last nine games versus .565 or greater opponents; and 7-2 ATS with same season double-digit loss revenge. Raptors: Defeated Minnesota, 124-110, on December 8th this season. With Timberwolves head coach Tom Thibodeau 23-8 ATS with same season revenge from a loss of more than 10 points versus greater than .600 opponents in his NBA career, including 3-0 ATS with the Timberwolves, we recommend a 1* play on Minnesota.

Posted : February 8, 2017 9:01 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

3G-Sports

Wizards vs. Nets
Play: Over 220.5

Washington on the road vs a team that lacks any semblance of solid consistency. Picking up explosive scoring with their backcourt tandem will likely get the Washington offense on the fast track in a hurry. This game will be higher scoring that expected. Brooklyn lack any legit wing scoring threat, even though Bojan Bogdanovic has been pretty special recently. The Brooklyn SF has the ability to be something special, when he actually takes his own shots. Washington does a great job protecting their pace and the Nets haven't been able to get pressure on opponents game flow yet. Close game, Washington holds on. John Wall and Bradley Beal have been on fire and coming off an OT loss with the Cavs.

Posted : February 8, 2017 9:02 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Mike Anthony

Miami vs. Milwaukee
Play: Over 210

Miami have struggled on numerous aspects of the game. Now matched up here vs a team with some positive vibes, could be trouble. I know that Milwaukee was stifled in action vs Miami last time on the road, but they bounce back here - because Giannis Antetokounmpo is a guy that could sneak in his 25 and you don't even realize it is happening. Miami have Goran Dragic squarely as their featured player. His exceptional shooting and ball distribution play in particular, as earned that. Waiting to see how aggressive he is, I think Miami will get less turnovers than they will need here, and be a little less effective. But they lose some of the energy to Milwaukee. I just believe in Milwaukee to get the job done consistently, at home where they have been substantially better than when on the road. Look for a ton of pts here in this one.

Posted : February 8, 2017 9:03 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Larry Ness

Cleveland vs. Indiana
Pick: Indiana

The 29-22 Indiana Pacers own a seven-game winning streak and own a 20-6 home record on the season, as they get set to welcome the 35-13 Cleveland Cavaliers to Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

With the return of LBJ, the Cavs have won the East the last two seasons and it's assumed the Cavs will return to the NBA Finals again this season, for the third straight year (it would mark LBJ's seventh consecutive appearance!). The Cavs are coming off a dramatic overtime road win at the Washington on Monday night, a victory which snapped the Wizards' 17-game home winning streak. However, the Cavs went just 7-8 in January. They are 3-0 to open February but Chris Andersen (ACL tear) and J.R. Smith (thumb fracture) are both still out of action for Cleveland plus SG Iman Shumpert sprained his left ankle on Monday night and will be re-evaluated on Wednesday morning. Then again, LBJ (25.9-7.9-8.8 ), Irving (24.2-5.9 APG) and Love (20.4-11.1) will be on hand.

The champions are coming in," head coach Nate McMillan said. "We don't know who will be uniform for them, but regardless of that, it's going to be a good team. We have to be at our best." The Pacers currently own the No. 6 seed in the East and like the teams above them, are trying to convince the league (and themselves, I suspect) that the team can be a serious contender in the conference come late May. SF Paul George (22.5-6.1-3.3) is an All Star plus center Myles Turner (15.5-7.2) and PG Jeff Teague (15.8-4.1-8.1) have proven to to be quality players on a regular basis this season. George scored 21 points versus Oklahoma City and has now reached 20 points in nine of his last 11 games.Second-year center Myles Turner is in just his second season but has done more than just score and rebound in the Pacers' seven-game winning streak, as he's got 14 blocks and 12 steals during that span. Some bad news for Indiana is is that forward Thaddeus Young (11.5-6.1) is questionable with a sprained left wrist (he's missed the last two games). Guarding Kevin Love won't be an easy task if Young is out.

In fact, Love posted season-highs of 27 points and 16 rebounds against the Pacers earlier this season, although the Pacers won that Nov.16 meeting, 103-93 at Indiana. The catch being, LBJ sat out. I'll note that the Pacers have won 12 of their past 13 regular-season home games against the Cavaliers but LBJ has only played in ONE of those games. However, I'm backing the red-hot Pacers here, as rumors about Cavs trying to acquire the Knicks' Carmelo Anthony refuse to die. That can't be a plus. Meanwhile, the Pacers have stepped up their defense these lat four games of the team's seven-game winning streak, allowing just 89.8 PPG. Take the home team.

Posted : February 8, 2017 9:04 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Alan Harris

Utah / New Orleans Over 200

Two teams that have been trending to the over will meet when the Utah Jazz hit the road to take on the Pelicans at the Smoothie King Center in New Orleans, LA, on Wednesday night. The Jazz have posted a 7-1 record to the over in their last eight games following a straight up win and they have gone an excellent 6-1 to the over in their last seven games following a game where they scored 100 points or more. They have also gone up and over the number in four of five games following a win by 10 points or more and they have gone 7-2 in their last nine games versus a team from the Southwest Division. The Pelicans have been an over team as well in the spot they are in here tonight as they have gone 4-1 to the over when facing a team from the Northwest Division and they are 8-2 in their last 10 home games versus a team with a winning record on the road. They are also 7-3 to the over in their last 10 games overall and they have gone over the total in 37 of their last 53 games at the Smoothie King Center. Throw in the fact that these two teams have gone a perfect 6-0 to the over in their last six games in New Orleans and 9-2 to the over in their last 11 overall, and that's where we'll have our Newsletter Free Play as we expect both teams to try and push the pace a bit in The Big Easy on Wednesday night.

Posted : February 8, 2017 12:47 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Wunderdog

Stanford @ Arizona
Pick: Stanford +14

The Arizona Wildcats were doing everything right at 21-2 on the season, and certainly have the look of a team that could cut down the nets. That was until they took the court in their last game at Oregon, where they suffered their worst loss in eight years - 85-58. Stanford snapped a three-game skid by winning at home vs. Utah their last time out, and should have some renewed confidence tonight. Arizona has now failed to cover in three of their last four games, while Stanford has only lost one of their last eight games by 15 points or more. This may look like a mismatch, but Stanford has a solid mindset going right now, while Arizona is not playing well.

Posted : February 8, 2017 2:49 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dave Essler

Boston College +3

Pitt has the worst defense in the ACC and I just cannot see them being a road favorite. They haven't won a road game in the ACC. Pittsburgh has the worst defensive efficiency numbers in the Conference - they're actually slight worse than BC offensively - and honestly, as a Senior-laden team that grew up under Dixon, now playing Stallings' style, I can only imagine after seven straight losses they may be just ready to graduate rather than focus on basketball. BC will run, and Pitt has a short bench - so this could get out of hand if the Eagles can make shots.

Posted : February 8, 2017 4:16 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jack Brayman

After nailing my free pick on the Washington Capitals Puck Line over the Carolina Hurricanes last night, I'll get back on the ice with the lone play on the card tonight, as I like the Minnesota Wild to get it done over the Chicago Blackhawks.

This is a cheap number to lay at home, as Minnesota has the chance to take advantage of the struggling Blackhawks.

What amazes me, is we're about week departed from the All-Star break, and the Blackhawks are saying they're ready for what amounts to being the 'biggest game of year' at Minnesota.

It may be a crucial point in its season, but Chicago might be overstating the situation, and revealing some vulnerability right now. Minnesota sits atop of the Western Conference, while Chicago is six points behind the Wild. A loss tonight would hurt, but it's not the end of the world.

A loss by the Wild would hurt more, and Minnesota is not going to let an old school rival like Chicago come in an disrupt things. These two go back to the Norris Division days, when Minnesota had the North Stars.

Minnesota is back home after a four-game road trip that culminated with Tuesday's 4-2 victory at Winnipeg. The Wild haven't played at home since Jan. 26 because of the All-Star break, and subsequent road trip. There should be a decent crowd on hand for Hump Day, igniting a Wild team that has won two games in a row and seven of its past 10.

The Wild have won the last eight regular-season games against Chicago.

Take Minnesota as your free play tonight.

2* WILD

Posted : February 8, 2017 4:17 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brad Wilton

Wednesday's comp play release is Florida State to pick right up where they left off on Sunday in Tallahassee tonight versus NC State.

The Seminoles rang up 109 points in their monster blowout win over Clemson to improve to 15-0 straight up on their home court. That home cover also moved the Sems to 9-3-1 against the spread in their lined home dates this year.

Things for the Wolfpack look grim, as NC State enters this one with losses in each of their last 3 games, and overall setbacks in 7 of their last 9 straight up.

The 'Pack is also just 3-6 against the spread on the road this year.

Florida State is on a 2-game series win streak over NC State, and this one has the looks of a torch-job by the Seminoles on their home floor against the sliding Wolfpack.

Lay it with Florida State.

5* FLORIDA STATE

Posted : February 8, 2017 4:17 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Eric Schroeder

My free play for tonight is on the Northern Iowa Panthers over the Southern Illinois Salukis, as the home team will come in with a mission on the brain for this game.

With a victory tonight, the Panthers would move into a tie for third place in the Missouri Valley Conference standings.

Northern Iowa already beat the Salukis once, as it used a 16-3 run to close the game to secure a 58-57 victory at Southern Illinois when the teams met Jan. 21.

The Panthers have won four of their last five meetings with Southern Illinois, and are in a good spot to win this one. Late free throws get us the cover.

5* NORTHERN IOWA

Posted : February 8, 2017 4:18 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chris Jordan

After hitting the Houston Rockets last night with my free pick, tonight I'm rolling with the defending NBA champion Cleveland Cavaliers, laying a small number to the Indiana Pacers.

I know the Pacers are riding a seven-game winning streak, and are on a 14-4 run since opening the season 15-18, but I also know Cleveland is on a mission to quiet cynics and critics right now.

While Indiana defeated the Cavaliers at home earlier this season 103-93, LeBron James sat that game out to rest. Tonight he is looking to prove to everyone everything is copasetic with he and Kevin Love, and the rest of the fun bunch.

The Cavs are 3-0 this month, after posting a 7-8 record last month, and arrive after a dramatic overtime road win over the Washington Wizards. Cleveland won three of the four meetings with the Pacers a year ago, and will get revenge from the earlier-season loss.

2* CAVALIERS

Posted : February 8, 2017 4:18 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: