1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Handicappers Hub

Oakland at Minnesota
Play: Under 9

Two great pitchers coming in to Minnesota tonight as Graveman is 2-1 with a 2.25 ERA and Santiago is 2-1 with a 2.43 ERA and 2-0 with a 1.96 ERA at home. The A's are also struggling to score runs on the road averaging just 3.0 runs per game on the road and I think that this is going to a good old fashioned pitchers duel tonight in Minneapolis staying well under this total.

Posted : May 3, 2017 11:19 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Buster Sports

Anaheim at Edmonton
Play: Anaheim +110

The Ducks played a great game in Edmonton on Sunday to avoid going down 3-0 in the series and tonight we believe they will tie the series up. The Oilers are a good young team but the nerves can get to the young guys and this is where experience wins out. The Ducks have not lost on the road in these Stanley Cup Playoffs which is a great motivator for the Ducks. Anaheim lost the first two games of this series but they looked like the better team to us even with losing those first two close matchups. The Ducks put 6 past G Cam Talbot on Sunday and we see them solving Talbot again tonight.

Posted : May 3, 2017 11:20 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Kyle Hunter

Chicago vs. Kansas City
Play: Chicago

I'm not one to like to back Mike Pelfrey on a regular basis, but this price is ridiculous. The Royals offense has been consistently the worst in the majors. They'll likely get to Pelfrey a decent amount, but Nate Karns isn't a shutdown guy by any means. Karns and Pelfrey have similar FIP's, and these are two guys who are unreliable. What about the bullpens? The White Sox have a huge advantage here. The Royals have one of the three or four worst bullpens in baseball. With the White Sox having the better offense and the better bullpen, this price should be around even money. I'll gladly take the big plus money price.

Posted : May 3, 2017 12:28 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dave Essler

A's / Twins Over 8.5

We've got almost a perfect storm, but of course they're never that easy. Both pitchers are fly ball pitchers. We've got an umpire that's typically an "over" ump, but he's been on an "under" thing this season, so I'm looking for the reverse-regression here. Most of his games this season have involved really good pitchers or been in really bad "over" parks - so, there's that. Both bullpens have been terrible - the Twins have been scoring - I expect Oakland to get plenty off of Santiago - the weather is above average for runs - so that's all I have.

Posted : May 3, 2017 2:06 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Andrew Lange

Baltimore at Boston
Play: Over 9

Baltimore's Kevin Gausman hasn't had the easiest of slates so far with two games against the Yankees, a start in Cincinnati, and three against the Blue Jays at Red Sox. But there's no denying the amount of red flags. Gausman's strikeout rate has down nearly 3 per nine and his walk rate is an alarming 5.1. And over his last three starts he's coughed up six home runs. Gausman's velocity has been good throughout but he's introduced a slider that hasn't worked (.421 BA against) and his go-to pitch, the splitter, has been just as ineffective (.684 SLG against). In the end, a start in Fenway isn't ideal for a bounceback effort. Meanwhile, Drew Pomeranz appears healthy and thus capable with a 27-7 K-to-BB ratio over 21.2 innings. But I have my concerns with this being his third turn against the Orioles. He's fared well in the previous two starts (11.1 IP, 3 ERs, 10 Ks) but also allowed 22 fly balls and 12 line drives. First two games of the series went under but expect a different result tonight. Play it over.

Posted : May 3, 2017 2:08 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Alex Smith

Washington at Pittsburgh
Play: Washington -130

Game 4 of the Eastern Conference semifinals goes tonight as the Washington Capitals look to even the series against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Game 3 was one of the most dramatic games of this postseason with the Capitals winning 3-2 in overtime. An early hit on Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby delivered by defenseman Matt Niskanen proved to be large for both clubs. Niskanen was given a 5-minute major for and a game misconduct for his high cross-check hit. Crosby then left the contest for concussion protocol which he eventually failed and is now ruled out for this contest. "Sid the Kid" has had concussion issues in the past and losing their top scorer, along with another key forward in Conor Sheary who is out with a head injury suffered when colliding with teammate Patric Hornqvist midway through Game 3, should provide a huge boost to Washington. The Caps also will have Niskanen back as he wasn't suspended by the league. Great opportunity for the road side to even the series before returning home. Lay the moderate chalk with Washington.

Posted : May 3, 2017 2:08 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brad Wilton

So much for the theory that a team simply cannot flip the switch from "off" to "on", as just before the playoffs started, and even into the early stages of their opening round against Indiana, there were plenty of question marks surrounding the defending champion Cavaliers! Now? Now those question marks are exclamation marks, as the Cavs are 5-0 straight up this postseason, and have covered in each of their last 3 wins.

Cleveland is also 6-1 straight up the last 7 series meetings - last year's East Finals included - and have covered in 5 of the 7 meetings. Throw in 5 covers the last 7 series meetings at Quicken Loans Arena, and you can see why I am a little "bullish" on backing the Cavs minus the number at home.

This series could wind up a sweep when it is all said and done. Maybe the Raptors can summon a win before this one is through, but that won't likely be until they are on their home floor over the weekend.

In the meantime, have to lay the wood with the defending champs to notch their 6th win in as many playoff games, and their 4th cover in a row.

5* CLEVELAND

Posted : May 3, 2017 3:55 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jeff Benton

Yes, Game 1 on Monday sailed Over the total, but that was because Houston didn't miss too many shots as the Rockets played about as perfect of a game as you can play and netted 126 whopping points!

I say no chance the Spurs allow the Rockets to go off for that many tonight. No chance at all.

That is why I will play Game 2 Under the total in this Houston-San Antonio Texas tussle.

Remember that prior to Tuesday's Over, the teams had gone 4-0-1 Under the total in their previous 5 showdowns. That and the fact Houston had played their last pair in their previous series against OKC Under the posted total.

San Antonio surprisingly, is on a 5 game playoff Over run, and 8 of their last 9 since the regular season have also gone Over. If the Spurs want to get into a shooting contest with the Rockets, that would prove deadly I feel, so look for this game to be a little more half-court, slowdown oriented, and look for the Under to be the play.

Rockets-Spurs Under the total.

3* HOUSTON-SAN ANTONIO UNDER

Posted : May 3, 2017 3:55 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jack Brayman

My free play for Wednesday is on the high-powered Washington Nationals, over the Arizona Diamondbacks. And in this one I want you listing scheduled starting pitchers Gio Gonzalez over Robbie Ray.

Gonzalez, who is 2-0 with a 2.21 ERA in his last three starts, is 3-0 with a 1.62 ERA through five starts and has completed at least six innings in each. The sturdy strikeout pitcher has show a live arm from three quarters early on this season.

The crafty and hard-throwing southpaw appears to be in mid-season form, as everything is working nicely right now. I've always loved how Gonzalez turns his back to create deception with his delivery. He also finds a knack for getting late run down with his two-seam fastball, which ranges between 90 and 94 miles per hour. He also changes the shape on a plus curveball and fades his changeup from lefties.

I know Ray is making his third start away from Chase Field, and I realize he has fared better on the road so far this season - he is 1-0 with an 0.71 ERA on the road and 1-1 with a 5.60 ERA in three outings at home - but he has also pitched at San Francisco and Los Angeles, against teams he knows well.

This Nationals lineup leads the league with a .292 batting average and ranks second in the bigs with 43 home runs.

Take Washington tonight, and list both.

1* NATIONALS

Posted : May 3, 2017 3:56 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Eric Schroeder

My free winner is on the San Diego Padres, against the Colorado Rockies.

My free play is on the San Diego Padres, catching money at home against the Colorado Rockies. The National League West rivals continue their three-game set, after the Friars won the opener last night.

San Diego has won three in a row and is 6-4 at home on the year. The Padres could use a run of luck right now, and keep themselves distanced from last-place San Francisco, which is two games behind San Diego in the West.

The Padres are three games back of the Los Angeles Dodgers, while the Rockies are one-half game back of division-leading Arizona.

Standings don't tell us much in May, but the Padres certainly would rather get closer to the top, instead of sinking to the bottom.

1* PADRES

(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chris Jordan

Tonight my free play is on the Minnesota Twins, minus the small price, against the Oakland Athletics.

The Twinkies will keep their momentum flowing tonight, as they roll in a three-game win streak, sparked by a successful road trip last week, going 4-1 away from Target Field.

This lineup is not to be dared right now, as it stroked six home runs last night, two of them by Brian Dozier, in a 9-1 rout of the A's.

I'm not listing pitchers in this one, as Oakland's offense has struggled of late. Last night marked the fourth time in the past five games the A's failed to score more than two runs.

That won't cut it against the Twins, who have won five of the last six meetings with the A's, when playing in the Twin Cities.

2* TWINS

(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

JOHN MARTIN

Texas vs. Houston
Play: Texas +168

The Texas Rangers are very generously priced here Wednesday night. They have lost three in a row and are getting overlooked. I would argue that they have the better starter going tonight in Nick Martinez, who is 0-0 with a 2.77 ERA and 0.769 WHIP in two starts. Martinez is 3-0 with a 1.64 ERA in four starts against the Astros throughout his career. Those are some impressive numbers to get to back at a +168 price.

Posted : May 3, 2017 3:58 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

BRANDON LEE

Blue Jays vs. Yankees
Play: Blue Jays -102

Toronto is worth a look here on the road against the Yankees. The Blue Jays have finally showed some life of late, as they have won 3 of 4 and are in good position to make it 4 of 5 with the pitching edge they have on the mound Wednesday. Toronto will send out Marcus Stroman, who has been one of their few bright spots. Stroman has a 2.97 ERA in 5 starts and has been even better on the road, where he owns a 1.17 ERA in 2 starts. New York will send out veteran C.C. Sabathia, who has come down to earth after a strong start to the season. Sabathia has allowed 11 runs on 16 hits and 4 walks in his last 2 starts, which has only spanned a mere 10 2/3 innings.

Posted : May 3, 2017 3:58 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

CAROLINA SPORTS

Miami at Tampa Bay
Play: Miami +116

Marlins are 9-3 in Conleys last 12 starts when their opponent allows 2 runs or less in their previous game. Marlins are 10-4 in Conleys last 14 starts following a team loss in their previous game. Rays are 8-17 in their last 25 games vs. a starter with a WHIP greater than 1.30.

Posted : May 3, 2017 3:59 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

TONY STOFFO

Oakland at Minnesota
Play: Oakland +100

Oakland has dropped seven of eight and are 1-6 on their nine-game road trip. Kendall Graveman with a 2-1 mark and a 2.25 ERA will toe the slab. The right hander has allowed three runs in 12 2/3 innings and won both his career starts versus the Twins. The Athletics are 5-2 in their last 7 during game 2 of a series, 4-1 in Graveman's last 5 starts vs. American League Central and 24-10 in the last 34 meetings.

Minnesota sends out LH Héctor Santiago, 2-1, 2.43 ERA. The Twins are 2-6 in their last 8 home games, 2-5 in their last 7 after allowing 2 runs or less in their previous game and 8-20 in their last 28 after scoring 5 runs or more in their previous game.

Posted : May 3, 2017 4:01 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share: