Chris Jordan

200* Akron

Posted : March 13, 2010 1:38 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

DAVID MALINSKY

4* PURDUE/MINNESOTA UNDER

Looking for a smooth and fluid basketball flow, with teams running up and down the floor and finding easy scoring opportunities? Turn the channel. This one is going to look like two teams trying to run their fast breaks in wet cement before it dries, and in a game that will feature neither high offensive efficiency or pace, the oddsmakers are offering plenty of cushion for this setting.

We believe the Purdue offense suffered a truly major hit when Robbie Hummel went down, but that the defense is still every bit as good. But here is the key – in three of the four games the Boilermakers have played without him they went up against a trio of the Big 10’s weakest defenses, Indiana, Penn State and Northwestern. In the only game against the upper echelon they managed just 44 points in an ugly home loss to Michigan State, and note that in the very game that Hummel was injured they escaped 59-58 in an ugly affair against these Gophers on the road.

Minnesota had to deal with a key loss as well when PG Al Nolen went down, forcing Devoe Joseph to play out of his natural #2 slot, and much like Purdue the Golden Gopher offense has bogged team against the Big 10 elite. But also much like Purdue there were games vs. Iowa and Penn State over the past week to inflate the offensive numbers. They managed only 55 points in regulation vs. Michigan State last night, and now the night-to-day transition for three games in three days magnifies all fatigue levels, especially with Joseph logging 43 Friday minutes, and Blake Hoffarber 41.

Neither side is looking to push any tempo here, and both are so fundamentally sound in their half-court defenses that it takes time before a good look can be found. That sets us up with the ideal flow, and the shooting will not be good enough to wreck those plans.

Posted : March 13, 2010 2:06 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Seabass

50* Kentucky
50* RI
50* Duke
50* Ill/Ohio St Over

100* Steam- W VA

300* Utah st
300* San D St
300* Ga Tech
200* Kan St
200* Miss St

Posted : March 13, 2010 2:32 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

KELSO

10 Units UTEP -6.5
3 Units Temple -3.5
3 Units Kentucky -4.5

100 Units San Diego St +5

10 Units Long Beach State -1
5 Units Utah State -8.5
3 Units Georgetown +2
3 Units Cal -1.5

Posted : March 13, 2010 2:33 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Youngstown Connection

GA Tech -3.5

Posted : March 13, 2010 3:19 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Craig Davis

50 Dime – KANSAS STATE

KANSAS STATE - Everyone in the world is on Kansas... the mighty Jayhawks surely can't be beaten by Kansas State after having beaten them twice already this year, can they? As the old saying goes (thought I don't always believe it), it's hard to beat a team three times in one season. I think that DOES reign true tonight, however, because Kansas State is a good team and they're basically playing in a neutral site game. Usually Kansas gets the home court advantage when they play this tournament in Kansas City, but since the Wildcats have become successful in college hoops, they are getting a bigger following each year. Trust me... there will be as many (if not more) fans for the purple and white this evening. Granted, Kansas will definitely have their faithful there in droves, but think about the fans of the other teams that still have tickets who will be in attendance. Do you think for a minute they're cheering for Kansas? Heck no. Kansas State is a great story and it's always easier (and more exciting) to root for the underdog. So basically, anyone NOT wearing Kansas blue in the stands will be pulling hard for Kansas State.

I know this will sound crazy, but what ultimately sealed the deal for me was when Bobby Knight made mention that everything has come fairly easy for Kansas in this tournament and how the "physical battle late at night with Baylor will cost Kansas State tomorrow". While his first statement about Kansas is true, I tend to disagree with coach Knight in the fact that the Wildcats are battle-tested, played a very tough Baylor team for 40 tough minutes, and still found a way to come out on top. They hit their free throws, they hit the long ball, they rebounded and they limited their turnovers in the second half. Even through some rough stretches of poor shooting, the defense stepped up and did not allow Baylor to grow any sort of a lead.

Kansas, on the other hand, was really only challenged in the first halves of their first two tournament games. It will be interesting to see how they react when a team like Kansas State, that knows them very well, keeps this thing very close in the second half. The Jayhawks have been known to go in scoring droughts of their own at times, and although I don't think they'll be looking past Kansas here today, I do think they believe they are the best team in the country and don't have to prove anything today. Would they like to win another Big 12 tournament title? Sure they would... but who does this game mean more to?

Kansas State knows they're either going to be a #2 seed or possibly a #1 seed. Depending on the outcome of the Georgetown/WVU game and how Ohio State and Duke do in their conference tournament, Kansas State (by winning today) could actually lock up the 4th #1 seed in the Big Dance. Points are always nice to get in a championship game but, honestly, I don't think we'll need them. I believe Kansas State will put themselves in a position to win this game SU tonight. Take Kansas State as your one-and-only play of the day.

Posted : March 13, 2010 3:20 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Teddy June

10* Minnesota

10* Kansas St

10* W Virginia

Posted : March 13, 2010 3:21 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter