Bob Balfe

Ohio State -2

Posted : February 14, 2010 11:05 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Nick "BookieKiller" Parsons

Minnesota +100

For a number of different reasons I believe the value in this contest is on the home side:

The Canucks (37-21-2), battling Colorado for the Northwest Division lead, opened this stretch with a win - their seventh straight overall - but lost three of the next four. They have bounced back to win the last two, including a 4-3 victory over Columbus on Friday.

Suffice to say, on an NHL tying 14 day road trip, I expect the Canucks to have a letdown in this final early game before the break.

The Canucks gave up the first two goals in last month’s meeting as their four-game win streak in Minnesota ended, and bad starts continue to be a problem. They have allowed their opponent to score first in six of the last seven games, getting outscored 12-2 in the first period.

On the other side of the ice: The Wild (29-27-4) have suffered regulation losses in their last two home games after going 8-0-1 in their previous nine. They are coming off a 3-2 defeat to Atlanta on Friday despite outshooting the Thrashers 38-24; I expect a bounce back.

It was the third straight game decided by one goal for the Wild, who were coming off a 3-2 loss to Phoenix on Wednesday.

Playing against stiff competition is something the Wild crave; 16-13 this year when playing against a team with a winning record.

Bottom line: No need to overanalyze this one; the Canucks are very tired and just want to get home while the Wild are looking at this opportunity as a big chance to gain some positive mental momentum heading into the break; this line is out of whack and in our favor; play on MINNESOTA!

9* MINNESOTA WILD

Posted : February 14, 2010 11:06 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Five Star Sports

5* Florida State

Posted : February 14, 2010 11:33 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

NHL Pro Picks

Nashville +160
Minnesota +107
NY Islanders +116

Posted : February 14, 2010 11:33 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

KELSO

3 units DePaul +13.5
5 units Georgetown -11
5 units Syracuse -7.5
5 units Northwestern +1
5 units Florida St -8
5 units USC -7.5
5 units Illinois +1.5
10 units West pk
10 units UNDER 262
5 unit parlay on NBA All Star
50 units Wichita State -7.5

Posted : February 14, 2010 11:34 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

ATS FINANCIAL

4 Units USC -7

3 Units Duquesne -4

Posted : February 14, 2010 11:34 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

ALATEX

15* Northwestern +1

Wichita St -7

Posted : February 14, 2010 11:35 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

ELITE SPORTS

2% Northwestern

(@jasper)
Reputable Member

LARRY NESS

REASON FOR PICK: At 1:00 ET my *8* Eye Opener is on Illinois.

The stakes couldn’t get any higher for the conference title as the Buckeyes of Ohio State invade Champaign and take on the Fighting Illini of Illinois. Both Ohio State and Illinois come in with just 3 losses in the Big 10, tied for best in the conference. The winner will keep pace with Michigan State, while the loser will drop a game behind the logjam of teams at the top. Both teams need this one in a big way, which should make for an exciting battle. Ohio State has a Big Ten Player of the Year candidate in Evan Turner, who is averaging 19.2 points and 9.3 rebounds per game. Keep in mind that Illinois won both games with the Buckeyes last season, holding Turner to a combined 21 points (four in the game in Champaign). OSU had won the previous five meetings. Ranked Ohio State teams have won the last seven games vs. Illinois, with the Illini unranked in five of those as they are Sunday. The underdog has covered in four of the past five meetings. Illinois (17-8, 5-7 ATS at home) has won five in a row, and the past two have been the most impressive: beating Michigan State last Saturday and then winning at Wisconsin on Tuesday. Their star is certainly point guard Demetri McCamey, who is making a bid for Big Ten Player of the Year honors. He totaled 49 points in those two upsets – the Illini were dogs in both – last week. McCamey leads the Illini with 15.8 points and 6.4 assists per game. Coach Bruce Weber said the Illini will be hard-pressed to contain Turner, so their focus is on stopping the rest of the Buckeyes, who aren't deep. William Buford, David Lighty and Jon Diebler all average double-figure scoring and play more than 32 minutes per game (note: Illinois is 4-3 ATS vs. good defensive teams that allow 64 points or less per contest). Home court advantage can't be overlooked in this instance; grab the points.

Good luck...Larry.

REASON FOR PICK: At 8:05 ET my *10* PERFECT STORM is on Wichita State.

The Bears have just four conference games left in their season, and are trying to stay out of the play-in round of the Missouri Valley Conference tournament. The top six teams in the Valley standings get a first-round bye, and begin their tournament on Mar. 5. Missouri State is in sixth place with a 7-7 league record. Wichita State picked up a 65-62 win over the Bears in Springfield on Jan. 6. In that game, Missouri State fell behind by 25, but closed the gap to one point down the stretch; I expect another letdown this evening (note: Missouri State is a horrible 3-10 ATS vs. conference opponents this season; also 0-3 ATS revenging a home loss vs. an opponent). Evansville held off Wichita State 65-62 Tuesday night to end a 14-game losing streak. After two free throws by Colt Ryan put Evansville up 65-62 with 5.8 seconds to play, Wichita State (20-6, 9-5) got the ball back, but turned it over, giving the Aces their first victory since December 19; I expect a concerted effort on both ends of the court tonight though after that embarrasing loss (note: this is a spot that Wichita State has excelled in; already 2-0 ATS as a home favorite of 6 1/2 to 9 points). The Shockers present significant matchup problems for the Bears as was evident in their first matchup and I expect a repeat this evening; lay the points.

Good luck...Larry.

(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Scott Spreitzer

3* Rutgers

Posted : February 14, 2010 11:49 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Executive

400 USC

Posted : February 14, 2010 11:50 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dwayne Bryant

Illinois +1.5

Posted : February 14, 2010 11:52 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Craig Davis

40 Dime – NORTHWESTERN

20 Dime – OHIO STATE

NORTHWESTERN --- Top play of the day on the Wildcats, as I have backed them twice this year at home and they haven't failed me yet. In fact, I've gone with or against the Wildcats 4 times this season and I've nailed all four. My last two were easy winners... I took Northwestern as a 50-dime winner over Michigan and I followed that up with an easy winner on Iowa over Northwestern as a small home dog. Today, and I can't believe it's true, I catch Northwestern at home GETTING points.

I'm not sure which I like more... the fact that Northwestern is 12-3 SU and 7-4 ATS at home or the fact Minnesota is 2-5 SU and 2-7 ATS away from home. And we're catching the Wildcats on triple revenge, having lost its last three games to the Gophers, dating back to last year, including a four-point heartbreaker in Minneapolis earlier this year. But those three straight wins from the Gophers have all come at home, and the last time these two met in Evanston was January 18 of 2009... a 74-65 Northwestern win.

The Wildcats outscore their opponents by 10 PPG at home while the Gophers are out-scored by an average of over 6 PPG on the road. Since G Al Nolen was "booted" from the team for his academics, the Gophers have forgotten how to play defense. Nolen was a ball-hawk, creating 43 steals in 18 games this season and was somewhat of an emotional leader for this team. Since his departure from the Gophers, they haven't covered a single game and it's not changing today.

Northwestern has covered five of its last six games and six of its last eight, and the only ATS loss they suffered in the last three weeks was Wednesday night in Iowa... a 13-point setback. I think it's safe to say they were looking past the Hawkeyes to today, a game vs. the Gophers... a game they absolutely want to win. Don't believe me? Just look at that numbers. Iowa hit 12 of 24 from downtown and converted 20 of 30 free throws. The Hawks also won the battle of the boards, 34-26... something they had no business doing. Northwestern has aspirations for their first ever trip to the NCAA Tourney, and a win today would go a long way. I'm much more comfortable backing the home team in this matchup vs. a team that hasn't covered a point spread since January 9th vs. Ohio State. Minny is a money-burning 6-20 ATS in their last 26 Big 10 games and after today you can make it 6-21 as the Wildcats win this thing going away.

OHIO STATE --- Great time to fade the Illini as it seems everyone is jumping on the Illinois bandwagon. And why not? They've won five in a row SU and have covered four of those five games against teams like Michigan State and Wisconsin along the way. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Illini was looking past Ohio State, but they played some of their best basketball in wins at Wisconsin and at home against Michigan State. I know this team; I've seen them play on numerous occasions. I know they are talented, but they simply can't put those types of performances up game after game. Remember, they had previously played Iowa, Indiana, and Penn State prior to those two games vs. the top-notch teams. They just don't quite have the starters or the depth to do it for a third game in a row against an Ohio State team that Jay Bilas, of ESPN, called the "best overall team in the Big 10".

OSU is clicking on all cylinders right now, having won 5 in a row overall and 8 in a row in the Big 10. And if you've watched this team, you know they are getting production from players other than Evan Turner. Oh sure, we all know he's a candidate for Big 10 Player of the Year and possibly National Player of the Year, but he needs help. He's now getting it from William Buford, John Diebler, and even Dallas Lauderdale in the paint. The Buckeyes have also really stepped up their defense, holding opponents to just 58 PPG and 42% shooting over its last five. Don't be surprised to see Thad Matta change up defensive looks today, giving the Illini a mixture of zone and man in an attempt to neutralize the guards. OSU shouldn't be favored in this one, but they are... that should tell you something about what Vegas is thinking... how can you give Illinois points at home where they have only lost once all year? I'll gladly back the road team in this one as I believe Illinois is a little overrated and OSU is just hitting its stride.

Posted : February 14, 2010 12:00 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Marty Otto

UCLA +7

Posted : February 14, 2010 12:01 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Opposite Action Plays

Florida St -9