3* Stony Brook +6.5

Posted : March 17, 2010 6:45 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Craig Davis

20 Dime – THUNDER

10 Dime – BOSTON UNIVERSITY

OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER - No, this selection has nothing to do with the fact the Bobcats had their six-game winning streak ended by Indiana last night... trailing once by 17 points before dropping a 99-94 setback. This selection is all about the OKC Thunder and the talent they are finally tapping in to. Remember, this is basically the same team that struggled much of last season. So what's different this year? Well for starters, the bench play has far outdone itself this year, with solid contributions from Serge Ibaka, James Harden, Nick Collison and even Kyle Weaver. The bench was a big problem for the Thunder last year as the coaching staff could ill-afford to give Durant, Westbrook or Green any reasonable time on the bench without getting majorly outscored. That's all changed the year.

Speaking of changes... how about the OKC free throw shooting?!?! The Thunder are just small percentage points behind the Dallas Mavericks in terms of overall free throw percentage and currently sit in second place in the entire NBA. Teams that can draw fouls and then convert at the line are going to find themselves in the playoffs... it's that simple.

And thirdly, the chemistry on this team has improved 300%. James Harden, though he's not playing right now because of injury, was a great draft pick for this team... even though he's hardly the best rookie in the 2009 NBA Draft Class. Many of the guys hang out more than players from most teams in the NBA because there's really not a whole heck of a lot to do in OKC. It's hard to get in trouble; it's hard to meet a ton of people; it's just easier to hang out with your teammates until you take a road trip.

I'm not going to give you any ATS trends or any other meaningless stats tonight... I'm simply going to tell you that the OKC Thunder are the better overall team, they have the best player on the floor, and Charlotte will likely be without one of their best players in Gerald Wallace. At a basic pick 'em, I like the Thunder to steal one in Charlotte.

BOSTON U - I'll admit, I haven't really followed Boston U much this season. But one thing I know about them is they are tough... they don't go down without a fight. They've won 8 of their last 10 conference games by an average of more than 10 PPG. The problem when handicapping a team like Boston is that none of us has really watched much of their game play, so I have to go off what I read from those who watch them on a game-by-game basis. The one thing I do know is that this team is playing its best basketball at the right time, posting a 6-1 February record, losing one home game to Vermont... a game they should have won... and then made mince meat out of Hartford and Stony Brook in the conference tourney before eventually falling in the championship game to Vermont.

Despite the good and the bad of the Boston program, this selection basically comes down to the fact I don't trust Oregon State to cover any sort of chalk. This team is 14-17 for a reason... they're not very good. OSU lost four of its last six games to close the season and they barely score 60 PPG. In fact, the Beavers scored more than 63 points in just two of their last 10 games while Boston averages 70 PPG and has scored more than 75 points 13 times this year. It's hard for me to fathom a team that averages 60 points per game beating anyone by 8 points... which would mean Boston scores in the low- to mid-50s... and I just don't see that happening. Take the Terriers plus the number.

Posted : March 17, 2010 7:01 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Insider Sports Report

4* St. John's +7

3* Wisconsin-Green Bay/Akron OVER 133

3* Middle Tennessee St./Missouri St. OVER 131.5

Posted : March 17, 2010 7:58 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Karl Garrett

20 DIMER - TROY TROJANS

20 DIMER - WICHITA STATE SHOCKERS

Posted : March 17, 2010 8:28 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Sean Higgs

50* College of Charleston

Posted : March 17, 2010 8:55 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

BRANDON LANG

5 DIME - ST. JOHN'S RED STORM

Just flat out love what I saw from the Johnnies in the Big East tourney.

So much so I will ride them right out of the box in this game tonight over Memphis.

Off an OT win and road cover over Depaul to end the year they rolled into Madison Square Garden and caught fire. They destroyed Uconn 73-51 as a 4 1/2 point dog followed with an almost upset of Marquette losing by 2 as a 4 point dog.

Now with their confidence building by the game, they travel to take on a Memphis team that has to be disappointed for not making the big dance.

Hey, when you can't win your conference tourney and get taken out by Houston, I wouldn't be all that happy playing in a junior tourney either.

Off their loss to Houston at the buzzer as a 6 point favorite, they are virtually laying that same number here.

Hmmm, let me see, Big East versus Conference USA and my Big East team is getting almost a full touchdown?

Boys and girls, that is value I can't pass up.

Let the numbers show the Red Storm is 5-1 ATS last 6 on the road, while Memphis is a pathetic 0-6 ATS last 6 non-conference games.

Once again, Conference USA versus the Big East and the BCS conference is a nice juicy dog.

I will grab the dog here as they take Memphis to the wire and just might win the whole thing outright.

Johnnies bag the money.

FREE PICK - PRINCETON TIGERS

Posted : March 17, 2010 10:48 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

James Patrick Sports

5* Atlanta

Posted : March 17, 2010 10:50 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter