46 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chuck O'Brien

Memphis at SAN ANTONIO (-10')

Friday’s complimentary release comes from the NBA, and I’ll back the Spurs as a big favorite at home against the Grizzlies.

Only one thing kept me from issuing this as a free selection, and that’s the fact San Antonio has to travel to Denver to play the Nuggets tomorrow night. So it’s likely if the Spurs get up big in this game, they’ll yank their starters to keep them fresh for Saturday’s contest in the Mile High City. Still, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the Spurs’ lead is 20-plus points by the time the big guns do depart, because the Grizzlies have waved the white flag on the season.

Memphis has lost three in a row (by margins of 15, 10 and 26 points) and six of its last seven games (1-6 ATS), and the slump began right about the time the Grizzlies’ playoff hopes ended. It also began when two key players (guard Corey Brewer and center Marc Gasol) went down with season-ending injuries).

Another likely reason the Grizzlies have folded the tent on the season: They’re in the midst of a season-ending stretch that sees them playing five of their final seven games on the road, and all five roadies are against playoff teams (Orlando, Dallas, San Antonio, Denver and Oklahoma City). They’ve lost the first two of those games by scores of 107-92 (at Orlando) and 110-84 (at Dallas).

San Antonio is coming off Wednesday’s disappointing 11-point loss at Phoenix, but it has still won 16 of its last 22 games, going 16-5 ATS in the last 21. They’re also 11-2 SU and 10-3 ATS in their last 13 home games, and they’ve taken seven of the last eight meetings against Memphis (6-2 ATS), with the seven wins being by an average of 11.3 ppg.

4♦ SAN ANTONIO

Posted : April 9, 2010 2:32 pm
Page 4 / 4
Share: