32 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bobby Maxwell

New York at PHILADELPHIA (-3')

For my comp selection, has anyone been paying attention to the Sixers at home? This team is a solid 15-8 at home this season both SU and ATS. They have covered seven of their last eight games and beat up Denver on Sunday at home 110-99 as a 1 ½-point favorite. Philadelphia will get the win and cover tonight over the Knicks.

New York has dropped eight of 11 overall and five in a row on the highway. This team hasn’t scored a road win since Jan. 11 in Portland. In their last roadie, the Knicks fell 111-102 in Atlanta as seven-point underdogs.

The Sixers were in New Jersey on Wednesday, beating up the Nets 106-92 as a 2 ½-point favorite. They are on ATS surges of 13-5 at home, 6-0 against Atlantic division teams, 24-9 overall and 5-1 as a favorite.

In this rivalry, Philly is 7-3 ATS in the last 10 meetings at home and they scored the win in the only meeting this season, going to New York on Nov. 7 and winning 106-96 as seven-point underdogs.

This will certainly be a battle of forwards between the Sixers’ Andre Iguodala and Elton Brand and the Knicks’ Amare Stoudemire and Danilo Gallinari. Look for big numbers from Philly point guard Jrue Holiday and that will key the win tonight. Lay the points with the Sixers.

4♦ PHILADELPHIA

Michael Cannon

New York (+4) at PHILADELPHIA

Take the points with the Knicks over the 76ers for your free Friday winner.

I can’t trust that Philadelphia is going to be able to keep pace with New York’s up tempo style here. At least not for the full 48 minutes.

Another reason I like the Knicks is the return of Wilson Chandler, who missed the last three games with a sore left calf. He’s third on the team in scoring and rebounding.

Chandler’s presence will allow Amare Stoudemire and Raymond Felton to both pick their games up after a disappointing stretch.

Take the points with the Knicks.

3♦ NEW YORK

Scott Delaney

Miami at CHARLOTTE (+5)

Taking the points with the Bobcats tonight, as they have a chance to put forth their best effort against the Heat after a successful road trip that landed them in the eighth spot in the Eastern Conference.

Charlotte comes off a six-game road trip that saw it average 106.5 points in four wins.

And after getting a night off after winning 97-87 in Detroit on Wednesday, I think this is a great spot for the Bobcats to flex their muscles against a Heat team that just scored an emotional win over Orlando last night.

The Bobcats have three important games they've been preparing for - the Heat tonight, Dallas on Saturday and Boston on Monday. And even though they're 0-5 against those three teams this season, they're playing much different right now.

Paul Silas is now in charge, and the 'Cats are playing an entirely different brand of basketball.

Plan on the 'Cats keeping this one close tonight.

3♦ CHARLOTTE

Chuck O'Brien

Minnesota at TORONTO (-3')

For Friday’s complimentary NBA selection, I’ll take a shot with the Raptors at home against Minnesota.

I know Toronto is in the midst of a 13-game losing skid, and No. 10 came in Minnesota on Saturday – an ugly 103-87 loss as a five-point underdog. However, the Raptors have been on the road for eight of their last 11 games. Also, with the exception of a 13-point defeat to Philadelphia on Jan. 26, their other four home losses during this 13-game slide were competitive (104-101 vs. Atlanta; 101-95 vs. Detroit; 100-98 vs. Memphis; 116-110 in overtime vs. Milwaukee).

As bad as the Raptors have been this season, they still have a better record (13-37) than the TWolves (11-37), whose only victory in the last eight games came on Saturday against Toronto. More importantly, Minnesota is just 2-22 on the highway this season – giving up a whopping 111 points per game! – and those two victories came in Cleveland and Sacramento.

Prior to Saturday’s meeting in Minnesota, the Raptors had won 12 in a row against the TWolves, going 11-1 ATS. In fact, you have to go back to 2003-04 for the last time Minnesota won north of the border, losing six straight times. Additionally, the chalk has cashed in nine of the last 10 meetings.

With games coming up against Milwaukee (on the road), San Antonio, Portland and the Clippers, this is Toronto’s best chance between now and the All-Star break to snap this 13-game losing streak. And seeing that they get three full days off after tonight, I expect the Raptors to come with their most focused, dedicated effort of the season.

4♦ TORONTO

Derek Mancini

Orlando at WASHINGTON (+5')

Bettors everywhere are expecting this to be the game where Orlando gets back on track, but I'm not convinced. They may win SU, but covering this number is going to be a completely different story, especially considering their inconsistent play of late. Magic have lost 4 of their L6 SU (just 1-5 ATS over that span), and eventhough they're facing the lowly Wizards, I'd be very careful about laying this many points here.

Problem is not only are the Magic playing poorly, but Washington has shown some spunk in 2 of their L4 home games. Yes, I'm aware they lost to the Suns and Nuggets, but you have to give them credit for beating both the Jazz and Celtics outright. They key in both games was John Wall, and I expect a big game from the rook tonight. Why? Because he's coming off one of his worst games as a pro at New Orleans, and tonight its bounce back time!

Finally, did you see the last time these two teams met? A 100-99 loss, but easy cover for the Wizards as 6' point home dogs. Of course, that was back in November, when the Magic were a different team, but one could argue that the Magic were playing better basketball then. At the time, the Magic were 12-4 and rolling, and still the Wiz covered. Washington is catching Orlando at the perfect time, and are a solid play here despite the disparity in their records. Take Washington plus the points over Orlando Friday.

3♦ WASHINGTON

Karl Garrett

L.A. Clippers at ATLANTA (-7')

Sure, all the talk this first half of the season is about Clippers rookie Blake Griffin and his prowess, but the bottom line is the Clips are in trouble on the road this Friday night, and the G-Man feels sure the Atlanta Hawks will want to show Griffin a thing or two about visiting their "house".

The Hawks have picked up home wins and covers their last two times out, and they have won 5 of their last 8 overall.

Los Angeles hits the road with just 3 straight up away-from-home wins this year versus a massive 15 losses. A closer look shows both straight up and against the spread losses in all 4 of their road games in 2011.

With a date at Miami on-deck, I can see LA just going through the motions tonight as they gear up for their Sunday showdown in South Beach.

Series numbers show the Hawks with 3 straight wins and covers, and a 7-2 straight up mark the last 9 times these teams have matched up.

Lay the home wood with Atlanta to roll strong tonight.

1♦ ATLANTA

Stephen Nover,

Dallas (+6) at BOSTON

I am 6-2 on my last eight NBA free selections. On the Friday card I like Dallas to cover at Boston for my free play.

Dallas burst out to a 24-5 record, beating Boston along the way. Then the great Dirk Nowitzki suffered a knee injury. He was out for nine games and Dallas went 2-7 straight-up and ATS in those games.

Nowitzki was rusty when he first came back, but now he's back in rhythm making 25-of-38 (65 percent) of his shots from the floor during the last three games.

Sparked by Nowitzki, the Mavericks have won their last six games.

Boston is playing for the first time since returning later than expected because of bad weather from a four-game West Coast trip. The Celtics may be a little flat in this first game back especially with a more important matchup on tap Sunday when they host Orlando on national television.

The Celtics own the second-best mark in basketball, but they are only 10-13-2 ATS at home.

Tyson Chandler is playing well for Dallas. He can neutralize Boston's tall front line. The seven-foot Chandler is averaging 14 points and 10 rebounds in his last 15 games.

Dallas is 12-2 ATS as underdogs when Nowitzki has played this season. The Mavericks have won straight-up a remarkable 11 of those 14 games.

3♦ MAVERICKS

Craig Davis

Oklahoma City at PHOENIX (+2)

Today's free play is on the Phoenix Suns over Oklahoma City. This marks a very important day in my life, as I've never gone against the Thunder. I either back them or avoid the game altogether.

The reason I like the Suns as my free play of the day today is because it seems as if the Suns have the Thunder's number. Every team in the NBA has a piece of "Kryponite" that they just can't beat. For Oklahoma City it appears to be the Phoenix Suns.

I'm not saying the Thunder can't beat Phoenix as every team in the NBA is beatable if they don't come to play, but for whatever reason the Suns match up very well against Oklahoma City and have beaten them eight of the last 10 meetings, including a 113-110 win back in December.

Vegas has made it awfully tempting to take the Thunder in this spot, but I'm not buying it.

The Suns are more than capable of playing well at home, though their record doesn't indicate that, and they've won four of their last five in the desert.

Phoenix is fighting for their playoff lives right now as they are currently on the outside, looking in. If they can win these home games (that they are more than capable of winning), that will give them the boost they need to win a few on the road.

The Thunder are just 2-6 ATS in their last 8 games overall and 1-6 ATS in their last seven games vs. teams from the Pacific Division. Suns win 111-105.

3♦ PHOENIX

Posted : February 4, 2011 3:43 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Joel Tyson

Manhattan (+13) at SIENA

Why not take the generous double-digits tonight in Albany as the Jaspers fresh off their thrilling weekend win over Marist keep it close against a Siena team that has been a flat-out money-burner this season when asked to cover a number.

8 times this year the Saints have been favored, and they have an 0-7-1 spread record to show for it. Siena is also just 2-7-1 against the line dating back to last year on their home floor at the Times Union Center.

Manhattan is enjoying a little spread surge, covering their last pair and 3 of their last 4 overall as they enter play this Friday.

Siena has won the last 6 in this conference rivalry, but they are no better than 3-3 against the spread in those 6.

The points work tonight with the Jaspers!

3♦ MANHATTAN

Posted : February 4, 2011 3:43 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: