40 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

EZWINNERS

Tampa Bay Rays -175

The Astros send Bud Norris to the mound for the rubber game of this three game series against the Rays. Norris is a AAA pitcher in my opinion and I expect Tampa Bay to knock him around today. Norris is only 2-5 this season with an ERA of 6.75. He has pitched two gems this season and both of those game were against St. Louis. For what ever reason Norris has the Cardinals number, but he gets hit hard by the rest of the National League. David Price is the ace of the Rays staff. Price this season is 6-1 with an ERA of 1.81 and I don't expect the worst offense in baseball to get much going today. I like the Rays to pick up the win here to win this three game series. Play on Tampa Bay.

Posted : May 23, 2010 8:08 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brett Atkins

Tonight's free winner comes from the Subway Series as I grab the plus-money with the Mets at home against the Yankees.

The Subway Series gets interesting tonight as the Yankees are sending left-hander C.C. Sabathia to the hill opposite the Mets’ Johan Santana who has looked great in his last two starts, allowing just three runs (two earned) against the Marlins and Braves.

The Mets are 4-1 in his last five home outings and he’s 3-1 with a 3.19 ERA. These two teams have split the first two games of this series, with the Mets getting Saturday’s game 5-3.

They finally learned they could beat the Yankees after struggling the last couple seasons and before an ugly outing last year, Santana owned the Yankees, going 4-1 with a 2.71 ERA in 12 career appearances against them. The Mets love to beat up lefties, batting .309 against them at home this season and a whopping .342 against them in the last 10 games.

I’ll grab the plus-money tonight and play the home team Mets.

2♦ N.Y. METS

Posted : May 23, 2010 8:11 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bobby Maxwell

I'm on 99-79-3 FREE run and tonight I've got a comp winner for you as I go with the home team Mets taking on their inner-city rivals from the Bronx.

The Mets and Yankees have split the first two games of this series and what a pitching matchup is set for today as the Mets send lefty Johan Santana (2-1, 3.72 ERA) to the hill opposite the Yankees C.C. Sabathia (4-2, 3.43)

The Yankees have had some trouble lately, losing five of seven and nine of 14 overall, including five of their last seven on the road. The Mets haven’t been on fire though, either. They have dropped eight of 11 and four of six at home. But tonight I’m going to grab the plus money with Santana and the Mets at home as we’ve seen Sabathia struggle in his last two roadies. In his last two road starts, he’s allowed nine runs in 10.2 innings and he’s a mediocre 2-2 with a 4.58 ERA in six starts on the road this season.

Santana has been great in his last two starts, allowing a combined three runs (two earned) against the Marlins and Braves, but his offense didn’t help him out either time, losing 2-1 and 3-2. However, at home, the Mets are 4-1 in his last five starts and he’s 3-1 at home this season with a 3.19 ERA. Other than last season’s ugly outing against the Yankees, Santana had owned the Yankees, going 4-1 with a 2.71 ERA in 12 career regular and postseason games.

The Mets have torn up left-handed pitching this season, especially at home where they are hitting .309 against southpaws. In their last 10 games, they’ve hit a remarkable .342 against lefties.

Great situation to get the plus-money winner here with the Mets. Play them with Santana delivering a quality start.

3♦ N.Y. YANKEES

Posted : May 23, 2010 8:11 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Stephen Nover

The New York Mets haven't been very good, but I can't pass up taking Johan Santana as a home underdog.

Santana is 3-1 with a 3.19 ERA at Citi Field this season. He's pitched well in his last two games giving up two earned runs in 14 innings with nine strikeouts facing the Marlins and Braves.

Santana isn't the best pitcher in baseball anymore, but he's still in the top five discussion. The Mets had entered this series playing well at home winning 10 of their last 13 at Citi Field.

This is a huge revenge game for Santana after the Yankees embarrassed him last year at Yankee Stadium, scoring nine runs off him in just three innings.

CC Sabathia is an elite pitcher, too. He hasn't won in his last three starts, though.

Yankees closer Mariano Rivera has been in a rare slump.

Keep in mind, too, the Yankees aren't playing with a full deck. They have key injuries with Jorge Posada, Curtis Granderson and Nick Johnson all sidelined.

2♦ METS

Posted : May 23, 2010 8:12 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Derek Mancini

After getting rocked in his last two home starts, Felix Hernandez (2-3, 3.95 ERA) settled down nicely in his L2 starts (back-to-back quality efforts). But even so, Seattle has lost his L5 starts, and still the line on this contest is begging you to take the Padres, but I'm not biting.

It's fishy to see Mat Latos (3-3, 3.2 ERA) as such a substantial dog, mainly because he's been great, going 2-1 with a 1.24 ERA over his L4 starts. He also enters with a 17 inning scoreless streak on the road, after dominating Houston and San Francisco in his L2 away. So what gives? What gives is he's up against a motivated ace, who's been great in interleague play.

Hernandez is 8-3 with a 3.15 ERA in 15 career Interleague games, leading his Mariners to a 12-3 record over that span. He's 2-1 with a 3.94 ERA in 3 career games against San Diego, and I'm confident he turns things around today. He was disgusted with his last two home starts, and again unhappy with his last start in Oakland (season-high 11 hits), and he'll take out his frustrations with a real gem this afternoon at Safeco. Lay it with the Mariners (Hernandez) over the Padres (Latos) Sunday.

3♦ SEATTLE

Posted : May 23, 2010 8:12 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chuck O'Brien

Sunday’s complimentary selection comes from the day’s lone National League game, and I’ll take the Braves at Pittsburgh.

Atlanta is on a nice roll, having won five in a row and 10 of 12, including five straight road wins after taking the first two games of this series in Pittsburgh. And since falling behind the Reds 9-1 on Thursday and rallying for a miraculous 10-9 win by plating seven runs in the ninth inning, the Braves have outscored the opposition 20-2.

Kris Medlen gets the ball today for Atlanta, and he’s been terrific since being pulled from the bullpen and put into the starting rotation earlier this month. In two starts (against the Phillies and Mets), the right-hander has allowed just three runs in 10 2/3 innings, with Atlanta prevailing 4-1 and 3-2. In the latter contest, Medlen outdueled Johan Santana!

Including relief appearances, Medlen has a 2.45 ERA while allowing just 29 hits and five walks in 29 1/3 innings. By comparison, Pirates lefty Zach Duke is 3-4 with a 5.08 ERA on the season, and he’s surrendered a combined 87 hits and walks in just 51 1/3 innings. Two of Duke’s last three home starts were disasters – a total of 12 runs allowed in 10 innings as he lost to the Brewers and Reds by a combined score of 13-0.

Pittsburgh is just 1-5 in Duke’s last six trips to the bump and 18-37 in his last 55 starts going back several years. Also, last year, Duke faced the Braves twice and had nearly identical horrific results: He allowed six runs and 11 hits in a six innings of a 7-6 road loss; and gave up six runs on 12 hits in six innings of an 11-1 home loss.

Finally, the Braves have now won 10 straight games against the N.L. Central and 11 of 13 against teams with a losing record, while the Pirates have lost seven of eight at home.

3♦ ATLANTA

Posted : May 23, 2010 8:13 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Karl Garrett

G-Man on a 10-5-1 free play run the last 16 days.

I have a feeling the Minute Maid scoreboard is going to have a bunch of goose eggs on it after the home team's name.

Yup, I just don't see Houston mustering much of an attack against Tampa hurler David Price. Price has come into his own this season, as the southpaw continues to mow down hitters with ease.

Price has won his last 3 starts in convincing fashion, working 20 innings of 14 hit ball while allowing just 2 earned runs to cross. For the season, Price is now 6-1 with an ERA under 2.

His counterpart Bud Norris is just 2-5 for the year, and a closer look shows an 0-3 mark at home with an over 8 home ERA.

Have to believe the Rays can not only take this game, but take it convincingly.

Go with Tampa Bay on the RUN LINE this Sunday.

5♦ TAMPA BAY -1.5

(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chris Jordan

What injuries?

I'd assume that's what the Dodgers are asking, when they themselves are being questioned about spending time without players such as Rafael Furcal, Andre Ethier and Manny Ramirez.

Nine Dodgers have been on the disabled list this season, yet they head into this series finale on a 14-2 streak - 7-1 since Ethier busted his right pinkie finger.

Between a steady diet of timely hitting and a heavy dose of pitching, the Dodgers have also climbed back atop the National League West standings.

During a 12-1 run, Dodgers' pitchers have posted a rather stingy 2.54 ERA, and today they'll send Hiroki Kuroda to the hill on a solid run of his own.

I know the right-handed import has lost four of five career interleague starts, but he's pitching well right now and is in search of his fourth straight win and third in as many outings. He's 5-1 this season, with a 2.87 ERA.

Though I'm not worried about either pitcher, and who's listed - I think this is MLB's hottest team right now - I am confident with the matchup we have. Detroit's Rick Porcello is slated to oppose Kuroda, and the Tigers' second-year starter is 3-4 with a 5.93 ERA heading into his ninth outing this season.

Lay the run line with the Dodgers.

3♦ DODGERS -1.5

(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Joel Tyson

For Sunday, I am calling for a pitcher's duel to break out at US Cellular Field this Sunday afternoon when Josh Johnson faces Freddy Garcia.

Johnson's last 3 starts show just 4 earned runs allowed in 20 innings of work, and his season ERA stands at 2.68 for the year.

Garcia's last 19 innings of work show 6 runs scored, and Freddy's home ERA stands at 2.70 this season.

Florida is on an 0-4-2 under run their last 6 games, while Chicago is on a 2-7-1 under clip their last 10 games.

Have to look under the total again this Sunday in the series finale.

3♦ UNDER

Posted : May 23, 2010 8:17 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jeff Benton

The Reds (6♦) got the job done at Cleveland on Saturday, so I’ve hit nine of my last 12 free plays. I’m on additional runs of 79-45-2 and 40-23 with plays that I’m giving away! For Sunday, I’ll play the Rangers on the run-line (-1½ runs) against the Cubs.

I expect a big bounce-back effort from Texas lefty C.J. Wilson today. Five days ago, Wilson took a 3-1 record and 1.48 ERA into a game against the Angels and got torched, allowed seven runs – including two home runs – on seven hits in 4 1/3 innings. It was the first time since 2008 that Wilson allowed a ball to leave his hand and end up in the seats at Rangers Ballpark.

I’m willing to give Wilson a mulligan for a bad day and focus instead on what he did in his first eight starts, when he allowed just eight earned runs in 48 2/3 innings (including four runs in 29 innings at home).

Today, Wilson faces a punchless Cubs offense that bats barely .250 on the road and has scored three runs or fewer in 19 of 44 games this year. Conversely, the Rangers are batting over .290 at home this year, including .302 against right-handed pitching. Those numbers figure to go up against Carlos Silva, who is pitching WAY above his abilities (5-0, 3.35 ERA) and his way overdue for an implosion.

Well, it might as well occur today, seeing that Silva has got a 5.20 career ERA in 13 starts against the Rangers, and he’s 1-2 with a whopping 9.09 ERA in seven career starts in Texas. How horrific has Silva been at Rangers Ballpark? Texas hitters are batting .370 against him, with seven home runs in 31 2/3 innings!

Finally, Texas bailed out Wilson in that game against the Angels on Tuesday and won 8-7, so the Rangers are now 6-0 in Wilson’s last six starts, with four multi-run wins.

4♦ TEXAS RANGERS -1.5

Posted : May 23, 2010 8:17 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Tom Freese

San Francisco Giants at Oakland Athletics
Play: San Francisco Giants

San Francisco starter Jonathan Sanchez has a 15-2 strikeout to walk ratio in his last 3 starts. The Giants are 5-2 their last 7 Interleague road games. The Giants are 4-0 after allowing 2 runs or less in their last game. The Giants are 7-3 their last 10 games in Oakland. The A's are 15-42 vs. a pitcher with a WHIP of less than 1.15. Oakland is 2-6 with Ben Sheets on the mound as an underdog. Oakland is 4-10 their 14 Interleague games vs. a team with winning record.

Posted : May 23, 2010 8:44 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Stan Lisowski

TORONTO

Blue Jays are 22-14 against righties while Arizona is 13-19 vs. the American League. Marcum for Toronto; has allowed 3 runs or less in 8 of 9 starts this season. D-Backs are winless in game 3 of a series if off of a win their previous game.

Posted : May 23, 2010 9:35 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bryan Leonard

Cincinnati at Cleveland

The Reds have owned this in-state rivalry completely dominating the Cleveland pitching staff. Once again this year they have scored 7 and 6 runs in the first two meetings. Now they take on David Huff and his 13.50 career ERA against the Reds. You know the Indians system is in poor shape pitching wise when they can afford to send Huff to the mound every fifth day. Last year he had a 5.61 ERA and he's followed it up with a 5.36 ERA this year. He's had six straight non-quality starts and has shown little reason for backing, especially with this weak Cleveland offense.

Homer Bailey has been a bust since coming up with the Reds but he's shown nice improvement as of late. In his last two starts he's permitted just 2 earned runs in 16 innings of work. He owns a 10 to 2 strikeout to walk ratio in those games.

Cleveland is 9-19 on the year against righty starters while the Reds are 8-4 on the season against southpaws. The Reds have won 6 of their last 8 games while the Indians continue to flounder dropping six straight. The Reds have taken 8 of the last 10 in this series and are playing with great confidence.

PLAY CINCINNATI

Posted : May 23, 2010 9:42 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jeff Alexander

1 Unit on Colorado Rockies +135

The Rockies are worth a shot at this price today when you consider they are 7-1 in their last 8 interleague games as an underdog, 8-3 in Cook's last 11 starts and 4-1 in his last 5 interleague starts. The Royals are 1-6 in their last 7 interleague home games and just 2-8 in Greinke's last 10 starts. In addition, KC is 1-21 after allowing 3 runs or less 2 straight games over the last 2 seasons, losing in this situation by an average score of 2.7 to 5.6. We'll take the Rockies this afternoon.

Posted : May 23, 2010 9:42 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jr. O'Donnell

PHILLIES/ RED SOX OVER

Jr O going Over 8.5 + 100 today on rainy muggy day in Philadelphia. This is a huge gut play from our camp. The Red sox have faced the Ace Halladay several times and we feel that they will put up a few runs vs. the Ace today. K. Youkilis is slugging .350 against Halladay & Pedroia is 9 for 38 and if Ortiz gets an at bat , he is .275 vs. the flame thrower. Tim Wakefield 0-2, 5.31 ERA will be shelled today as the Phillies need to get the bats moving. Over will not be the popular choice here in Philadelphia , but popular does not win ball games.

Posted : May 23, 2010 10:23 am
Page 2 / 3
Share: