Free Picks: Free Service Plays for Monday, November 21st, 2016

34 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Eric Schroeder

My free play on Monday night is on the UT Martin Skyhawks, as they roll in with a bit of momentum for their game in western New York. I know Canisius is hosting this after a thrilling win Friday night, over Duquesne, but I don't think the Griffins have the firepower to match the 'Hawks.

Canisius senior Phil Valenti was calm and cool when he drained a jumper from one step behind the free-throw line with 1.6 seconds left, while the Griffins’ defense got one last stop, to secure a 78-77 win. But that was Canisius’ first victory of the season, and also the program’s first under new head coach Reggie Witherspoon. The Griffins are still trying to build chemistry with their new coach, and this one is going to be tough on them defensively.

The Skyhawks have been playing well, and arrive at the Koessler Athletic Center in Buffalo having won three straight after opening the campaign with a loss. And yes, this is their first road game of the season, but the Skyhawks are tied for the fourth-most road victories (20) in Division-I basketball since the beginning of the 2014-15 season.

UT Martin leads the Ohio Valley Conference with 87.8 points per game, and should have enough in the tank to keep this close and challenge for the outright.

1* CANISIUS

Posted : November 21, 2016 6:26 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bob Valentino

My free play for Monday is on the Indiana Pacers, who return home after stealing a 115-111 win at Oklahoma City. It marked the team's first road victory of the season, and turned back a Thunder team that saw Russell Westbrook notch his fifth triple-double of the season - which incidentally matches the rest of the NBA combined - as he scored 31 points, dished 15 assists and grabbed 10 rebounds.

That was a huge win, and I don't know if the Pacers can avoid a hangover tonight, against the two-time defending Western Conference champion Golden State Warriors, who come into Indianapolis rested.

Indiana's Paul George (ankle) and C.J. Miles (knee) sat out due to injury. George missed his second straight game with a sore left ankle.

To have to come in on the second of back-to-back nights, and face a Warriors team that has won seven straight and leads the NBA with 116.8 points per game is going to be an uphill battle. The Pacers allow more than 107 points per game, and will get worked on defense in this one.

2* WARRIORS

Posted : November 21, 2016 6:26 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Teddy Davis

Colorado vs. Notre Dame
Play: Colorado +2½

This is a neutral court game where I actually thought Colorado should have been favored. So I will gladly take the points here as I'm sure ND will draw a ton of money just because of the name alone. This Colorado team only lost their big man Josh Scott who is tough to replace, but they have great guards that will cause fits for teams this year. Notre Dame on the other hand lost two players that had outstanding careers in Demetrius Jackson and Zach Auguste. Those two were by far the best players on last years Notre Dame team and they will most definitely miss them. They return Beachu

Posted : November 21, 2016 6:27 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

OC Dooley

UAB +18.5

This is a tilt from the CBE Classic which is being played in Kansas City which gives the Jayhawks a big edge in geography and fans in the stands. But they are facing a very tough DEFENSIVE opponent in Alabama-Birmingham (2-1) whose 6'9" giant William Lee is ranked #5 nationally in "blocked shot rate". When "taking" points on the hardwood it is always beneficial to side with teams like Alabama-Birmingham who have the ability to produce "bonus" points as they have a #16 national ranking in free-throws nailing 80-PERCENT from the charity stripe. While Kansas is a national name-brand they are hitting only 23-PERCENT from behind the arc where they have been outscored by a whopping 93-to-86 from "three point" range. Defending shots from behind the permiter has been Alabama-Birmingham's main weakness but that is essentially negated tonight

Posted : November 21, 2016 7:53 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: