0 Reactions
12 K Views
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jim Feist

Auburn at Clemson
Pick: Under

This is a high total but these are two of the most talented defenses in football. Auburn was fifth in the nation in points allowed last season (15.6 ppg) and returns outstanding DC Kevin Steele. The offense likes to run and the Tigers are working in new QB Jarrett Stidham. They face a Clemson defense that has great speed, off a national title campaign where they shut down this Auburn team last year, 19-13. Auburn had 87 yards rushing in the game, 2.1 ypc. Clemson also has a new starting quarterback in Kelly Bryant, on an 18-7-3 run under the total.

Posted : September 8, 2017 9:45 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Scott Spreitzer

Iowa vs. Iowa State
Play: Iowa St +3

The Cyclones are looking to snap a little skid against Iowa, especially off of last year's ugly loss. Iowa was a "sexy" go against for some bettors last week (we passed) but the defense carried the team to the 24-3 win over Wyoming. The stop unit played well, but we weren't too impressed with the offense. Nathan Stanley struggled in the passing game. The running game wasn't bad with Akrum Wadley gaining 116 yards on 24 carries. But overall, Iowa gained just 263 yards on 4.7 yards per play. We expect ISU to clamp down on the ground game, forcing Stanley to beat them with the passing game and we don't believe Iowa is up to the task, especially against a ball-hawking and athletic Cyclone secondary that picked off three passes in last week's win over a capable Northern Iowa team. We do like the skill players of the Cyclones a bit more than Iowa's, and believe the Hawks will have problems hanging with 6'5 WR Allen Lazard. Finally, ISU has covered six of their last seven in Ames, overall, and 13 of the last 19 in this series. We'll back ISU QB Jacob Park and the 'Clones, to get back in the win column in this heated rivalry.

Posted : September 8, 2017 9:46 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Sean Murphy

Georgia vs. Notre Dame
Play: Georgia +6

This has the makings of one of the week’s most entertaining matchups as Georgia travels to South Bend to face Notre Dame – the first meeting between these two storied programs since the 1981 Sugar Bowl.

The Bulldogs suffered a blow losing QB Jacob Eason to injury last week and that has certainly been factored into this line. I’m not sure Georgia is much worse off with Jake Fromm under center, however. He completed 10-of-15 passes for 143 yards and a score last week against Appalachian State. The Bulldogs jumped ahead 31-0 in that game before giving up a couple of scores in the game’s final six minutes.

I don’t believe UGA will be intimidated by this matchup – this is a team that has its sights set on some lofty goals this season. The same can be said of Notre Dame. It kicked off the season with a 49-16 rout of Temple last week. The Irish ran wild against the Owls but will face a much tougher challenge here. I believe Notre Dame is in for a 60-minute battle in this one.

We’re getting a couple of extra points thanks to the Bulldogs QB situation. Georgia is certainly comfortable playing in tight football games, as we saw last season. Expect another one here.

Posted : September 8, 2017 9:47 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

ASA

Iowa vs. Iowa State

ISU has had this game circled for a full year. They were dominated in Iowa City last year to the tune of 42-3 a year ago. It was new head coach Matt Campbell’s 2nd game as the Iowa State head coach so the transition definitely played a part. Campbell has said they have put an extra emphasis on this one after that loss. The fact is, Campbell’s team really improved as the season went on last year. They were “close” against some very solid teams. They lost at home to Baylor by 3 as a 17-point underdog. They lost by 7 @ Oklahoma State as two TD underdog. ISU lost tight games at home to both Oklahoma (by 10) and KSU (by 5). Then they destroyed Texas Tech 66-10 as a home underdog. After the Iowa loss, this Cyclone team finished the season 6-2 ATS as an underdog with a number of near upsets as we mentioned above. They return their top RB, their QB (Parks), and most of their weapons on the outside. Iowa beat Wyoming last week but we were not overly impressed. Their offense was bad gaining only 260 yards vs a Cowboy defense that allowed well over 400 YPG last year. New QB Nate Stanley was shaky completing only 8 passes. He makes the first road start of his career here giving ISU a nice edge at QB in our opinion. The Hawkeye defense looked very good shutting down Wyoming QB Allen but the fact is the Cowboys were very one dimensional in that game. ISU will be much tougher to slow down on offense as they have a much better running game. Iowa once dominated this series going 15-0 from 1983-1997. However since 1998, Iowa State actually has the edge winning 10 while losing 9. This is a gigantic home game for ISU and we like them to win it outright

Posted : September 8, 2017 9:47 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Teddy Davis

Iowa vs. Iowa State

I think the betting public has this game all wrong as they are jumping all over Iowa here. This Iowa St team is one of the most improved power 5 teams in the country IMO. Yes Iowa has a better OL and DL, but I wasn't so impressed with their performance last weekend vs Wyoming as they did commit 4 turnovers. You do that on the road against your rival and the game is over. Iowa St has enough talent on offense here to score and I believe Campbell knows it as he will try to get up early because Iowa is not a come from behind team. I think the so called upset happens. Take the Points!

Posted : September 8, 2017 9:48 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Ray Monohan

Western Kentucky vs. Illinois
Play: Illinois +7½

The Fighting Illini get over a touchdown here on Saturday, at home, giving them some value here.

First off, it's extremely odd to see a power conference team be this much of an underdog in this case.

While Illinois did struggle in season opener, they still battled against and managed to overcome a late deficit to beat Ball State. The win was not flashy by any means, but the Illini still have their defense to lean on.

They'll get a WKU offense that isn't nearly as powerful as they've been in the past. This Illinois defense will look to Tre Watson and the rest of this linebacker crew to really cause havoc and force the Hilltoppers offense into some bad decisions.

Some trends to note. Hilltoppers are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 games in September. Hilltoppers are 0-3-1 ATS in their last 4 vs. Big Ten.

Given the Hilltoppers struggles early in the season and against the Big Ten, this is too high of a spread.

Posted : September 8, 2017 9:49 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Doug Upstone

Auburn vs. Clemson
Play: Under 55½

Auburn and Clemson both played teams they could throttle and did last week. Now they collide and the offense will not come as easy. On Saturday, look for road teams like Auburn when the total is between 49.5 and 56, after gaining 525 or more total yards in their previous game, against opponent after gaining 6.75 or more yards per play in their previous game. In the last five years the total is money-making 29-7 UNDER.

Posted : September 8, 2017 9:50 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

DAVE COKIN

STANFORD AT USC
PLAY: USC -5.5

Stanford and USC tangle in a huge early season PAC-12 matchup today. Each team is 1-0 to start the season, but they certainly got those wins in different fashion. The Cardinal absolutely obliterated Rice in a game played in Australia. The Trojans managed to eventually get the best of Western Michigan, but make no mistake, USC received a stiff challenge from the Broncos.

I’m not putting much into that Stanford romp. Rice was completely outmanned from the start, and to be honest, I thought the Owls mentally checked out very early in the proceedings. That’s not meant to diminish the fact Stanford was razor sharp, but the Cardinal also met with close to zero resistance in that game. It’s obviously going to be far tougher today.

As for USC, I didn’t like the way they played in the trenches for a good portion of the game vs. WMU. The Trojans were seriously tested and the 49-31 final score was rather misleading, as the game was much closer than that.

Nevertheless, I like the way USC responded when they needed to, and I think getting a tough opening game might have them a bit more battle tested at this point than Stanford.

The revenge motive here is substantial for USC and it’s critical to note that most of last year’s game saw Max Browne under center for the Trojans. Sam Darnold was still coming off the bench when these teams met in 2016. That’s certainly not the case anymore.

I see this line being a bit short. My projected line is USC -12, so I see value here with the favorite. I’m also not at all troubled by the fact that Stanford is a public dog. With the number below a touchdown, I’m siding with USC to snare the win and cover.

Posted : September 9, 2017 8:24 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brandon Lee

Giants vs. White Sox
Play: Giants -1½

Don't quite trust SF to lay the big juice on the money line, but do like the value here with taking the Giants on the run line. Good chance if San Francisco wins this one, they do so by more than two runs. The White Sox are in another one of those funks, as they have lost 5 straight and are just 2-9 in their last 11 overall. The offense has been non-existent, as they have scored a mere 5 runs in their last 3 games, scoring 2 or less in all 3. On Saturday they face the Giants Jeff Samardzija who has been nearly unhittable of late with a 0.82 ERA and 0.682 WHIP over his last 3 starts. Chicago sends outs James Shields, who has a 5.72 ERA in 17 starts overall and 5.88 ERA in 9 outings at home. San Francisco's offense is rolling, as they have 26 runs in their last 3 games, topping 6 in all 3.

Posted : September 9, 2017 8:25 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Joseph D'Amico

South Carolina vs. Missouri
Play: South Carolina +3

South Carolina opened their season with a 35-28 outright victory over NC State while Missouri, a 36-pt fav, allowed Missouri State to amass 492 yards in their Week 1, 72-43 win and no cover. QB, Jake Bentley and the best player on the field, WR, Deebo Samuel will devour a Tigers "D" that yielded 353 passing yards LW. Throw in the mix, RB, Rico Dowdle, and it's going to be a very long day for the Missouri defense. South Carolina is 3-1-1 ATS their L5 Conference games and 5-2-1 ATS their L8 games played vs. teams with a winning record. Missouri is 3-9 ATS their L12 Conference games and 2-7 ATS their L9 games played overall.

Posted : September 9, 2017 8:25 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Tony Karpinski

Buffalo vs. Army
Play: Army -15

Army was a much improved team last year and I like them here to win big on Saturday. Army has the ability to run really well, and they can score big in a quick turn of events, it doesn't take very much. Because of their quick feet, they can also get points and easy plays on the defensive side of the ball at times, because of their great discipline staying in their lanes. Buffalo needs to try and keep their drives moving downfield, when the opportunity arrives. They have got to keep Army off the field, but I don't trust the slow plodding offense of Buffalo here. QB Tyree Jackson gets forced to run and throw too much once teams get settled into their defense. Bulls are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 non-conference games Army goes up big early and never looks back.

Posted : September 9, 2017 8:26 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Vic Duke

Iowa vs. Iowa St
Play: Iowa -3

Iowa/Iowa State Noon: Iowa has won 3 of the last 4 at Ames and should deliver here. The Hawkeyes' defense returns 8 defensive starters from last year's Top 20 defense and started the season strong holding a respectable Wyoming offense to just 233 yards (3.3 yards per play). Iowa State coming off a win over FCS lightweight Northern Iowa should struggle again vs their crosstown rival. Matt Campbell's bunch given much too much credit for this matchup. Cyclones 0-4 ATS as dogs of less than 10 in 2nd of back to back home games. Sure, Iowa lost QB C.J. Beathard to the NFL and this year's starter- Nate Stanley was shaky in his season debut; however, we'll look for the dominant Iowa defense to take control and while the Hawkeyes' offense should pound the rock with RB Wadley, who scored two TDs last year against Iowa State. Iowa, 17-5 ATS on the road, should deliver.

Posted : September 9, 2017 8:27 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Kyle Hunter

Georgia vs. Notre Dame
Play: Georgia +5½

The Georgia Bulldogs defense will improve a lot under Kirby Smart in year two. This is a guy who made a living being a tremendous defensive mind, and I'm confident he has the talent to make Georgia's defense a very good stop unit. Their showing against a good Appalachian State offense last week was impressive.

Fromm will get the call here for Georgia at quarterback, and I'm not sure that is such a bad thing. He is very highly touted and he is able to run more of the uptempo offense for the Bulldogs. Notre Dame's defense still has a lot to prove in my mind.

Another important factor here is the amount of Georgia fans that will be at the stadium on Saturday. Many are estimating 30% or more of the stands will be filled with Georgia fans. It could be 35% or 40%. That means less of a home field advantage than normal for Notre Dame.

I give Georgia the coaching edge here and I have them power rated as a better team. Getting this many points I have to take the underdog.

Posted : September 9, 2017 8:27 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

John Ryan

UTSA vs. Baylor
Play: Over 58

The Baylor Bears come into this game off a demoralizing loss to Liberty University, yes you heard that right. The Baylor offense did its part putting up 45 points but the defense was not to be found giving up 447 yards through the air. The nightmare continues in Waco. Baylor QB and Solomon got the start and had a good game passing for 278 yards with 3TD’s to 1 Interception. Baylor returned 7 starters from last years defense that allowed an average of 29 points per game. Baylor has a solid running game and always seems to score a lot of points. This will be a short trip for the USTA Roadrunners in their first game due to the cancellation of the Houston game due to Hurricane Harvey. UTSA returns 14 starters from last years bowl team. Dalton Storm returns at QB after throwing for 2170 yard, 20 TD’s and 6 Interceptions along with rushing for 313 yards and 4 TD’s. All of last years leading receivers return along with Jalen Rhodes at Running back. The Roadrunners averaged 29 points per game in 2016 and should be better offensively this year. We look for a high scoring affair in Waco today.

Posted : September 9, 2017 8:28 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dave Price

TCU vs. Arkansas
Play:Arkansas +3

Bret Bielema's teams just aren't getting the love they deserve from oddsmakers and the public year in and year out. This team has proven they can beat anyone in the country over the past couple seasons. They opened as 2.5-point favorites over TCU in this game, and now they are 3-point dogs, which is a massive 5.5-point move. I think the price is right to pull the trigger now with the home dog Razorbacks. TCU is getting a lot of love this offseason and I'm not sure it's deserved with a questionable QB like Kenny Hill. The Razorbacks have a stud QB in Austin Allen who is a senior and doesn't make many mistakes. TCU is 1-9 ATS in its last 10 games as a favorite. Arkansas is 13-3 ATS in its last 16 vs. Big 12 opponents.

Posted : September 9, 2017 8:28 am
Page 3 / 5
Share: