Free Picks: Free Service Plays for Sunday, January 1st, 2017

51 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chris Jordan

I'm ready to improve on this 24-15 run with free picks, as my complimentary winner is on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers over the Carolina Panthers

It's a slim chance that Tampa Bay is making the postseason, but it is still alive, and that's why I am laying the points with the Buccaneers at home. What's most important about this team, however, is how it finishes and sets the tone for the future - especially against the Carolina Panthers and Cam Newton.

Some might say Newton has lost a step, and digressed into the fourth-best quarterback in the NFC South this year. The Atlanta Falcons have Matt Ryan, the New Orleans Saints have Drew Brees and the Bucs boast Jameis Winston.

Winston could easily earn MVP honors next season, if Tampa Bay continues to put pieces to its puzzle together during the upcoming offseason.

Now, a win today gives the Bucs (8-7) their first winning season in six years. Several other scenarios must take place for them to get into the playoffs for the first time since 2007. But they're going to push for it and do their part.

With the Panthers out of playoff contention, I'm guessing they'll err on the side of caution with several players nursing injuries, and will sit key personnel. That will open the door for an easy win for the Bucs.

Lay the home chalk.

4* TAMPA BAY

Posted : January 1, 2017 12:48 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Eric Schroeder

I'm on an 18-9 run with complimentary releases, after hitting Virginia Tech outright against Duke, and look to improve with a free Pro Football side for today.

I'm playing the Oakland Raiders as my free play over the Denver Broncos. It's quite a role reversal with these AFC West rivals, too, as the Raiders are the ones who have playoff positioning on the line in the regular-season finale, while the defending Super Bowl champion Broncos have nothing to play for and will go on vacation beginning tomorrow.

The Raiders are back in the postseason for the first time since their last Super Bowl visit 14 years ago, when they lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. And if there is one thing they can do for themselves, in making a statement to their confidence, it's a blowout of the defending champs.

At 12-3, Oakland still needs a win today to secure the division crown and a first-round bye. And if the Raiders lose, they could fall all the way to the fifth seed and would have to pack their bags for the AFC playoffs as a wild card.

This is a big game for the Raiders, and I like them in this spot.

5* RAIDERS

Posted : January 1, 2017 12:48 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jimmy Moore

Giants +8

Yes, I know Washington needs to win this game to get into the playoffs (assuming Detroit and Green Bay don't tie) so they have a ton of motivation. Even with the Giants locked into their playoff seed that does not mean they won't be trying here since this is a divisional game and they want to make sure their starters get some work in. Would not be surprised to see some starters not play the whole game but with all the pressure here on Washington these points are easily the play. Do you trust QB Cousins laying this many points in a must win game against a top defense??? Not me, take the points with the G-men here.

Posted : January 1, 2017 1:08 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Wunderdog

Detroit Pistons @ Miami Heat
Pick: Detroit Pistons -3.5

Detroit demolished the Heat 107-84 in the first meeting on Nov. 23rd, holding Miami to 36.0 percent from the field, and with Kentavious Caldwell-Pope leading the Pistons with 22 points and Andre Drummond scoring 18 points with 15 rebounds. Miami hasn't improved much since as it has lost four in a row and seven of its last eight games, including 117-114 at Boston on Friday, even though the Heat shot 53.3 percent. James Johnson came off the bench to score 22 points, but the Heat's defense had a meltdown allowing the Celtics to shoot 51.4 percent while Isaiah Thomas exploded for 52 points. Miami is playing its third game in four days and is just 5-12 straight up and 7-10 ATS at home this season. The Pistons are trying to snap a two-game losing streak after Atlanta won a revenge game on Friday. Jon Leuer had a team-leading 22 points for Detroit, and Reggie Jackson added 20 points. The Pistons are getting comfortable with Jackson back in the lineup after he missed the first six weeks of the season. Detroit has won and covered four of the last six meetings.

Posted : January 1, 2017 1:17 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jim Mack

Packers at Lions
Pick: Packers -3

On my picks on the website last week, I listed several of the definitive angles that Mike McCarthy teams have developed in his tenure at Green Bay. Among them, his teams have been great in divisional play (44-23 ATS), they’ve been great in late season games (27-16 ATS in L4 weeks of regular season), and great as favorites (77-51 ATS). Those trends all converge as the Packers go for the division title in Detroit. Everything over the last two months of Green Bay’s resurgence has pointed to this game. They are playing well. Detroit is not, and at this point it certainly looks like the Lions could be staring at another late season meltdown that kept them from the playoffs. In my opinion, they have to be seriously watching the Redskins-Giants game earlier in the day in the hopes that the latter will win and give Detroit a playoff spot. This is one of those games that the ‘books hate because they can put a realistic line on it. Green Bay finishes running the table.

Posted : January 1, 2017 1:18 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

The Real Animal

Dallas +6.5

This week is much like the preseason and one of the criteria I like to use in August is team depth and the Cowboys are loaded. I just don’t see Dallas wanting to give up the momentum they have going considering they are off next with the #1 seed and playoff bye. Sure Dax won’t play much if at all and but I don’t see the Cowboys using Tony Romo as a sacrificial lamb without some of the amazing arsenal of weapons this team has. Plus Mark Sanchez is expected to finish up and I can live with him considering he will enter next year as the #2 guy behind Prescott. Remember the Eagles are without Ryan Mathews and I’d be surprising if wide receiver Jordan Matthews saw much action if at all due to injury. Plus don’t too excited over that deceiving Philly win over the Giants the last time we saw the Eagles. They were out-gained in that one 470-286. The Eagles will play inspired and could get the straight-up win but I doubt it will be by a significant margin. Jerry Jones has a huge ego and he does not want to see him team embarrassed prior to the playoffs. Remember the Eagles have given up 26 or more points in 5/6 and in the game they didn’t they should have considering the Giants had those 470 yards. Dallas 3-0 SU and ATS as a road underdog this year. I’ll take Dallas plus the points as the Eagles are 1-4 SU and ATS within the division.

Posted : January 1, 2017 1:21 pm
Page 4 / 4
Share: