Clear all

Free Picks: Free Service Plays for Thursday, October 19th, 2017

33 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Free Picks for Thursday, October 19th, 2017 from some of the nations best and worst handicappers

Posted : October 19, 2017 11:14 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Raphael Esparza

Arkansas St. (-12) over UL-Lafayette

The home team has won the last three meetings and right now what I have seen from the Arkansas State Red Wolves at home covering this big number should be no problem. Arkansas State is coming off an easy home against Coastal Carolina 51-17, and in their last two home games the Red Wolves have only given up a total of 20 points. Lafayette has won two straight games coming into this road game, but both the teams they beat were not the same level as the Red Wolves, and I see the Arkansas State offense being too much for the Ragin' Cajuns to handle. Arkansas State has covered 7 straight home games and Thursday night number eight should be no problem.

Posted : October 19, 2017 11:14 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Robert Ferringo

Houston (-3) over Memphis

I think that Memphis is a soft 5-1. They got slaughtered in their first road game against a comparable team, losing 40-13 at Central Florida. Beyond that they have lucky wins over UCLA and Navy and unimpressive wins against UL-Monroe and Southern Illinois. They are facing a Houston team that has equal talent and that has played well at home. Houston is also in a prime bounce back situation after an embarrassing loss at Tulsa last week. The Cougars were up 10-0 in that game, marching to 17-0, when a turnover changed the tide. They turned it over three times and got rolled in the second half en route to a shocking 45-17 loss. The home team has won three of four meetings, Houston has won six of the last seven meetings, and the Cougars are 4-2 ATS in the last six against the Tigers. Memphis is just 2-10 ATS against teams above .500 and just 2-8 ATS after a win. I don't love this Houston team. But I think this is a good spot for them to make a statement.

Posted : October 19, 2017 11:15 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Stephen Nover

Clippers vs. Lakers
Play: Clippers -5

The Clippers have owned this series winning 11 of the past 12 times with an average winning margin of 13.4 points.

The Lakers are trying to cut the gap stockpiling young talent. But the Clippers remain at least one level higher than the Lakers even without the departed Chris Paul. The Clippers still have star power with Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan.

The Clippers' window of challenging the Warriors has closed with Paul's departure, but they still are a solid playoff contender with a chip on their shoulder to prove they can win without Paul. The Clippers take their games against the Lakers very serious. This certainly won't be an exception.

The storyline here is the NBA debut of Lonzo Ball, who missed most of the preseason because of a sprained ankle. He'll likely be rusty and hounded by defensive ace Patrick Beverley. The Lakers may improve as the season goes on. But right now they are vulnerable to a veteran, motivated team such as the Clippers.

Note, too, that the Lakers do not have a home court advantage as both teams use Staples Center as their home court.

Posted : October 19, 2017 11:17 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Scott Rickenbach

UL-Lafayette vs. Arkansas St
Play: UL-Lafayette +13

The Ragin' Cajuns have covered 3 of the last 4 against the Red Wolves and they also are in their preferred role here. UL-Lafayette has fared very well as an underdog and, entering this season, head coach Mark Hudspeth was 13-3 ATS when his team is a dog against an opponent with a winning record. Also have to like the fact that Ragin' Cajuns are 9-1 ATS when they are on the road and coming off of a win and cover. That was a Thursday game last week where UL-Lafayette beat North Texas. The fact it was a Thursday game is also noteworthy because the Ragin' Cajuns are a perfect 8-0 ATS when they are underdogs and coming off of a weekday game. Arkansas State is known for finishing seasons strong and they do have revenge here but this is simply too many points. Even with last week's win and cover vs Coastal Carolina, the Red Wolves are still just 2-6 ATS as a home favorite in a range between 12 and 17 points.

Posted : October 19, 2017 11:18 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Larry Ness

Chicago vs. Toronto
Pick: Toronto -12.5

The Toronto Raptors kept their core intact over the summer and plan to make another run at an Eastern Conference crown behind DeMar DeRozan and Kyle Lowry. However, one has to wonder if the Raptors have 'maxed out' with the current make up of their team. Meanwhile, the Chicago Bulls, who visit the Raptors in the season opener for both clubs on Thursday, have an entirely new look after veterans Jimmy Butler, Rajon Rondo and Dwyane Wade have all "moved on." .

Chicago does not have a player 30 or older on its roster plus will also be without power forward Nikola Mirotic for an extended period after he was hospitalized on Tuesday following a practice altercation with teammate Bobby Portis that left him with a broken jaw. Mirotic had won the starting job at power forward during training camp but is expected to be sidelined four to six weeks and might require surgery. Portis was suspended by the team for eight games. The two have had a long-standing feud and their absences create a hole at power forward. Rookie Lauri Markkanen (Arizona) will start for now, according to Bulls head coach Fred Hoiberg (Cristiano Felicio is the other power forward). Chicago has high hopes for former NBA dunk champion Zach LaVine but he's recovering from ACL surgery.

Toronto agreed to a three-year, $100 million extension with Kyle Lowry over the summer, ending any speculation that the team would break up the Lowry-DeRozan "Dynamic Duo.". The Raptors also added another perimeter threat in swingman C.J. Miles and will get a full season from power forward Serge Ibaka. The Raptors also signed SG Norman Powell to a four-year, $42 million extension earlier this month. In stark contrast to Chicago, the Raptors are talking about how their familiarity has bred content. "So, when you have that sense of comfort -- knowing guys as individuals on and off the court -- you have a different comfort zone when you go out there in the big moments, understanding each other," DeRozan said. "That kind of goes a long way and it actually wins you games in the NBA. You can tell teams that have been together for years. ... They can pull out victories over more talented teams. Things like that definitely go a long way."

That's all fine against teams like Chicago but we'll have to see how Toronto fares against the elite Eastern Conference teams. The Raptors have gone an impressive 60-22 SU at home the last two regular seasons, while the Bulls, with better teams than what they'll send out on the court tonight, have gone 16-25 SU on the road in each of the last two years. Lay the points!

Posted : October 19, 2017 11:19 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jim Feist

Clippers at Lakers
Pick: Over 218.5

The Lakers hope to have their No 2 pick in the NBA draft, Lonzo Ball, ready to play tonight. Ball missed most of the preseason with an ankle injury but has plans to play tonight. The Clippers begin their era without guard Chris Paul. In fact, the Clipper lost three starters, Paul, JJ Redick and Jamal Crawford during the offseason. With the excitement of Ball playing for the Lakers, they may become a betting favorite again this year. Expect this game to go back and forth at a fast pace tonight with all the new faces. I like these clubs to run up the score tonight.

Posted : October 19, 2017 11:20 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jeff Benton

Your Thursday freebie is Memphis-Houston Over the total.

Last year these teams teed-it-up for 92 combined points as they sailed Over the posted price. The season before they combined for 69 points but held just Under the price of 69 1/2 points.

Smaller total tonight, likely because the Cougars have played ALL 6 of their games this year Under the posted price. Memphis did hold Under last weekend against Navy, but 4 of the 6 Tigers games this season have played Over the posted price.

Riley Ferguson has been lighting things up this year, and the Tigers are averaging just over 40 points per game. The Tigers have seen the Over cash in 7 of their last 8 Thursday night affairs.

Houston QB Kyle Postma has been picked off 4 times in the Cougars last 2 games. Safe to say if Houston plays from behind as is likely to happen, Postma may force a few ill-advised passes. Turnovers could indeed be a factor in this total tonight.

Memphis-Houston land Over the price.

4* MEMPHIS-HOUSTON OVER

Posted : October 19, 2017 2:52 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Tommy Brunson

The wonderful Sun Belt Conference takes to the gridiron here on Thursday as the Ragin' Cajuns go for the second straight week under the Thursday night lights, but this time on the road. Last week UL Lafayette covered as the 2 TD favorite in a 24-7 shutdown win over Texas State. Tonight they are getting the double-digits, and I will take them out for a spin against the revenge-seeking Red Wolves of Arkansas State.

State was the -5 point road favorite last season against Lafayette, but they were stunned 24-19 by the Cajuns. In fact, UL Lafayette has won 3 of the last 4 series meetings straight up, and are a solid 6-3 straight up the last 9 times these schools have tangled.

Arkansas State has posted 94-points in their last 2 games, both wins and covers, and while they will get their scoring shots in tonight against a lacking UL Lafayette secondary, based on series numbers, look for the Cajuns to be "sticky" again against the Red Wolves.

Take, take, take the generous spot with UL Lafayette.

2* UL LAFAYETTE

(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Joey Juice

If you can stop the Chiefs from running the football, it thwarts their whole offense scheme. And even when they can run, Kansas City is a lot of things, but an explosive offense is surely not one of them.

The Raiders, on the other hand, are simply not scoring the ball at all these days. A look inside the numbers reveals all we need to know about betting this total.

The series Under is 18-6 last 26 times these two teams met.

The Chiefs Under is 16-6 last 22 games after allowing more than 30 points.

Nowhere to go here but Under.

3* KANSAS CITY-OAKLAND UNDER

(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jack Brayman

My free play for Thursday is on the Chicago Cubs over the Los Angeles Dodgers, as I think this series gets prolonged one more game. And I do want you listing Jose Quintana over Clayton Kershaw, as I think Los Angeles' staff ace will have a meltdown in this game.

While I'm wondering if Kershaw's postseason past comes back to haunt him for some reason here, I'm more intrigued with Quintana in this game.

Chicago's southpaw has experienced some tough luck in his first postseason, taking no-decisions in both of his starts. But here is a guy who allowed just two earned runs over 11.1 innings, including two runs on two hits over five innings in Game 1 of this series. And that was in L.A.

Quintana will do his part tonight. It'll be up to Chicago's lethal lineup to do damage against Kershaw, which I think it will, sending the series back to Los Angeles for a Game 6 clinch for the Dodgers.

5* CUBS

Posted : October 19, 2017 2:53 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chris Jordan

Last night I nailed the Under for you with the Chicago Cubs and Los Angeles Dodgers, in Game 4 of the National League Championship Series. Tonight I'm taking the opposite road, and playing the Over in Game 5.

Here's the deal, because I'm not going to break down the pitchers and get into Kershaw's postseason past, or the fact the Dodgers can break out on Quintana any given inning.

Fact is we have one of those games where the least you would expect is a slugfest that comes down to the last at bat for some team. But that's how I'm seeing this game, as I believe the Cubs will attack Kershaw early, and the Dodgers will respond late.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this series head back to L.A. for Game 6.

Tonight these two run high.

4* Cubs/Dodgers Over

Posted : October 19, 2017 2:54 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Don Anthony

Knicks vs. Thunder
Play: Knicks +13

We are also on the Oklahoma City Thunder UNDER 53.3 wins this season as our TOP NBA Season Win total.

Simply put, this is the Carmelo pick. One: I believe the Knicks are going to get up for this game to give a little pay back to Melo. Two: I believe it's going to take awhile for the Thunder to gel. Should the Thunder win? Absolutely. But 13 points is a LOT to lay in the first game of the season.

Posted : October 19, 2017 2:54 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brandon Lee

Dodgers vs. Cubs
Play: Cubs +150

The Cubs finally got some momentum, as they avoided elimination with a win in Game 4. I think this team builds off that victory and sends the series back to LA. Jose Quintana takes the mound for the Cubs and he pitched well in Game 1, despite having just throw in Game 5 of the NLDS against the Nationals. He's now on a full 4-days rest and I look for him to go toe to toe with Clayton Kershaw and for the Cubs offense to do just enough here to get the win. LA is still just 2-11 in their last 13 road games in the NLCS and 2-9 in their last 11 after scoring 2 runs or less in their previous game.

Posted : October 19, 2017 2:55 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

John Martin

Bulls / Raptors Under 208½

The Chicago Bulls are really going to struggle scoring the ball now that they are without two of their best players in Bobby Portis and Nikola Mirotic. These two are stretch forwards who were going to help make this offense work better than many expected. And they're also without Zach LaVine and Kris Dunn coming into the season. I just don't see where the points are going to come from. So instead of laying the 13 points with the Raptors tonight, which is adjusted for these injuries, and I think the better bet is with the UNDER.

Posted : October 19, 2017 2:55 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: