31 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

SPORTS WAGERS

PHOENIX +6½ over Houston

The resurgence of the Houston Rockets has been one of the premier storylines in the NBA thus far. Currently, the Rockets sit at 21-8 while boasting one of the best records in the Western Conference behind the incumbent powerhouses Golden State, San Antonio and the Clippers of Los Angeles. Houston’s stock was ballooning as they entered their contest with the San Antonio Spurs last night on a 10-game winning streak while absolutely obliterating many opponents they came across previous to their encounter with the Spurs. Though Houston lost 102-100 last night against its cross-state foes, the Rockets scored brownie points with their effort and with the result. Taking a team that lost just one-game on the road this year the distance before falling by a mere basket does not lower one’s stock. The Rockets showed that their record is no farce and while this outfit may be talented in their own right, you have to question the status of their physical and mental state as they go into Phoenix on the tail end of a back-to-back.

Phoenix will enter this one as the fresher team. The Suns have not played in two days and have had to time to lick their wounds from falling on the road at Minnesota on Monday. The Suns have one of the most dynamic offenses in all of the NBA but they stand at 8-20 because their defense cannot hold a lead. The Suns have some premier talent in guards Eric Bledsoe and Devin Knight and an absolute beast off the bench in sixth man Brandon Knight. All three will be available in this one and if this trio gets hot, it’s going to be big trouble for this visitor. Phoenix has split the last four in this series between these two Southwest combatants and they own the most recent win in Houston in April of this year. Phoenix will enter this one confident and juiced up while Houston may be fatigued and a bit disparaged after last night’s hard-fought loss. Situationally speaking, this is a favorable spot for the host and it sure doesn’t hurt that the Rockets are just one of those teams that the Suns are very comfortable playing.

Posted : December 21, 2016 4:31 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bruce Marshall

Houston -6.5

First time Phoenix has faced the new and improved Houston. Which is unfortunate in a lot of ways for Suns, even getting to play host, because the Rockets have played so well away from home (11-3 vs. spread away thru Dec. 16). Mike D'Antoni has unleashed the best James Harden we've ever seen. It also doesn't hurt to have Patrick Beverley back, either, as evidenced by Houston's 13-2 SU record (thru Dec. 15) since Beverley's return and the huge impact he's made when Harden needs a breather.

Posted : December 21, 2016 4:32 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jimmy Boyd

Wizards vs. Bulls
Play: Bulls -4

Chicago bounced back from an ugly 3-game skid with a dominant effort last time out in a 113-82 win at home over the Pistons. However, I still we are seeing the Bulls undervalued due to the fact that they are just 3-6 SU and 2-7 ATS in their last 9. At the same time, Washington is getting a lot of love at the moment. The Wizards are 5-2 SU and 6-1 ATS (covered 4 straight) over their last 7 games. I believe it's creating some great value here on Chicago, as I expect a similar effort tonight as they provided against Detroit.

The thing with Washington's recent run is that most of their success has come at home. In fact, all 5 wins during this 5-2 stretch were wins at home. The two road losses were to Miami (101-112) and Indiana (105-107). While the loss to the Pacers was close enough to cover, keep in mind that Indiana was playing short-handed and in a big flat spot coming off a 3-game road trip (had played 8 of last 10 on the road) and playing their 3rd game in 4 nights. On the season the Wizards are just 2-9 SU and 4-7 ATS away from home.

The Bulls have also been a good bet at home after not performing great against the number, as they are 70-47 (60%) ATS at home after failing to cover 4 of their last 5 games. We also find a strong system in play going against the Wizards. Underdog of 3.5 to 9.5 points who are allowing 103 or more points/game are just 40-79 (34%) ATS over the last 5 seasons against a team who scored 110 or more in their last game.

Posted : December 21, 2016 4:32 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Teddy Covers

Mavs vs. Blazers
Play: Mavs +5½

Teddy’s NBA is riding a 67% run into Wednesday. After a Week 15 sweep, Teddy's NFL is 73-50 (59%) over the last TWO seasons and his college football is 47-31 (60%) since LAST December; long term proven winning results! Plus, Teddy's riding a 9-1 (90%) bowl run! Go for the 3-0 Wednesday Hoops Sweep & cash with Teddy's Bowl Winner!

I can do this write-up in a single sentence: Portland has no business laying points right now. The Blazers are the single worst defensive team in the NBA right now, according to Hollinger’s advanced metric stats, allowing a whopping 111 points per 100 possessions.

A playoff team last year, this season, Portland has fallen apart. They lost their third straight game last night, blowing a lead at Sacramento, now losers of seven of their past eight. They’ve allowed 115+ in six of those seven defeats. Yet the quotes coming out of the Blazers locker room don’t seem to indicate that they are particularly concerned.

Point guard Damian Lilliard: "It's way too early (to be too concerned). I completely understand our defensive numbers and how up and down we've been. But we have plenty of time to turn this thing around."

Meanwhile the Mavs are getting healthier – much healthier - following an injury riddled first two months of the season. Dallas has their full backcourt for the first time all season, with Deron Williams, Devin Harris, JJ Barea and Wesley Matthews all suiting up on Monday. Barea: “Now everybody's ready to go. It's something we didn't have early in the year….I want to see us all together and see if we can make a run. You never know what can happen. I see this team working hard and trying to win as many games as we can, no matter what." Live dog here!

Posted : December 21, 2016 4:33 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Teddy Davis

Grizzlies vs. Pistons
Play: Pistons -6

Take the Pistons here tonight as the Grizzlies are coming off a heart breaking loss in OT against the Celtics last night. This Pistons team will be extra motivated as they were blown out last game vs the Bulls. Their coach Van Gundy was all over them after that game so you can expect a huge effort from them tonight. Grizzlies are just 3-9 ATS L12 road games playing a team with a winning home record.

Posted : December 21, 2016 4:33 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brandon Lee

Grizzlies vs. Pistons
Play: Pistons -6½

This is a really tough spot for Memphis to play well. The Grizzlies just lost a heartbreaker in OT last night at home against the Celtics, which they have to feel like they should have won (leading by 14 at half). As soon as that game was over they had to hit the road for Detroit and I just don't see them coming out with a lot of energy in this one. On the other hand, we should get a max effort from the Pistons in this one. They come in having lost 3 straight by double-digits with the most recent being a 31-point loss at Chicago. With games against the Warriors and Cavs on deck, this has the feeling of a must-win game for Detroit.

Posted : December 21, 2016 4:34 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jack Jones

BYU vs. Wyoming
Play: BYU -10½

There is really a massive gap in talent here as the BYU Cougars should be better than the Wyoming Cowboys at almost every position in this game. That’s why I’m willing to lay 10.5 points here. And the Cougars won eight games this season against a ridiculously tough schedule.

Indeed, the Cougars had to play the likes of Arizona, Utah, UCLA, West Virginia, Michigan State, Toledo, Mississippi State, Boise State and Cincinnati in their first nine games to open the season. Amazingly, the Cougars were oh so close to being a 12-0 team as their four losses came by a combined eight points. They came to Utah (by 1), UCLA (by 3), WVU (by 3) and Boise State (by 1).

I have to give credit to Wyoming because it did have a great turnaround season, but I’m pretty sure that BYU will now be the best team that the Cowboys have faced this season. This is a Wyoming team that lost to Nebraska by 35 and New Mexico by 21. They also had bad losses to both Eastern Michigan and UNLV this season.

I realize that BYU will have to go with its backup quarterback here after Taysom Hill went down in the last game with a season-ending injury for the fourth time in five years. Fortunately, the Cougars have one of the most experienced backups in the country in sophomore Tanner Mangum.

Mangum completed 59.9 percent of his passes for 3,377 yards with 23 touchdowns and 10 interceptions as a freshman while replacing Hill last year. Mangum also saw action in the team’s final three games of the season, completing 14-of-18 passes for 145 yards and two touchdowns, so he comes in with plenty of experience.

This game will come down to which team stops the run better. Wyoming’s Brian Hill rushed for 1,767 yards and 21 touchdowns this season. But BYU has a rush defense that ranks 8th in the country, allowing just 108.4 yards per game and 3.4 yards per carry. The Cougars also only allow 19.4 points per game and 364 total yards per game.

BYU senior Jamaal Williams rushed for 1,165 yards and 11 touchdowns despite missing three of the last five games with an ankle injury. Now he’s in line for a huge game against a Wyoming defense that gives up 34.8 points per game, 464 yards per game and 6.6 yards per play. The Cowboys also give up 203 rushing yards per game and 5.3 per carry. Look for the Cougars to score at will in this one.

BYU is 6-0 ATS in non-conference road games this season. The Cougars are 8-0 ATS in their last eight road games after allowing 125 or fewer rushing yards in four straight games. BYU is 4-0 ATS in its last four vs. MWC opponents. The Cougars have gone 7-0 SU & 6-1 ATS in the last seven meetings. The Cowboys are 3-7 ATS in their last 10 non-conference games.

Posted : December 21, 2016 4:34 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Tony Karpinski

Georgia State vs. Middle Tennessee
Play: Middle Tennessee -11

There may not be a team in need of conference play more than Georgia State. Landing former Indiana Hoosier Jeremy Hollowell, former Charlotte 49er Willie Clayton, and Alabama transfer Devin Mitchell has not helped elevate the Panthers. Their last two losses have been by double digits against Mississippi State and Old Dominion despite single-digit point spreads. In fact, all four of their road games this season were losses by an average of 15. The relentless style of play from Middle Tennessee is going to make the Panthers rush shots and turn the ball over. Mid Tenn is tough at home and I expect them to get a BLOWOUT WIN here tonight so lay the 11 points.

Posted : December 21, 2016 4:35 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dave Price

Milwaukee Bucks +6

The Milwaukee Bucks want revenge from a 108-114 (OT) loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers at home last night. They don't have to wait long to get their chance as these teams will be playing again tonight in this home-and-home spot. I always like backing the team that lost the first game in these situations, and we're getting a nice value here with the Bucks. The Cavs are going to be without JR Smith and could be without Kevin Love, who is questionable. It also wouldn't surprise me if they ended up resting Lebron James, or limiting his minutes at the very least. The Bucks have a young roster than can handle this back-to-backs better than the Cavs. Cleveland is 1-5 ATS in its last 6 games playing on 0 days rest. The Bucks are 13-6 ATS in their last 19 meetings in Cleveland.

Posted : December 21, 2016 4:35 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Sean Murphy

Grizzlies vs. Pistons
Play: Pistons -7

I'll back the Pistons as they return home off a blowout loss in Chicago on Wednesday.

Detroit checks in having lost three games in a row and none of those games were all that close. I am confident the Pistons will respond favorable in a winnable matchup here, however.

Memphis has also lost three games in a row and it's worth noting that the SU winner has gone a perfect 7-0 ATS in its last seven contests.

The Grizzlies have posted a solid 7-5 record on the road this season but I don't like their depth (or lack thereof), even if they do get Chandler Parsons back from injury tonight.

For Detroit, this is a key bounce-back spot off that ugly loss in Chicago. While the Pistons have been wildly inconsistent this season, they're capable of stepping up in this game and are favored by a considerable number for a reason in my opinion.

Posted : December 21, 2016 4:36 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Mike Lundin

Wizards vs. Bulls
Play: Bulls -3½

The Chicago Bulls had lost three on the bounce prior to a dominant 113-82 win against the Pistons on Monday. I like them to build on that momentum and pick up a big win against the Washington Wizards Wednesday night. The Wizards are coming off a 107-105 loss at Indiana on Monday, and they'll play their third game in four nights. Washington is just 2-9 SU and 4-7 ATS on the road this season, and they're likely to struggle here with the more rested Bulls team desperate to record back-to-back wins.

Posted : December 21, 2016 4:37 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Larry Wallace

Bucks +6

I'm going with the Bucks in this match-up against the Cavs. The loss of J.R. Smith will hurt the Cavs. The Bucks haven't been the best on the road, but the Cavs are looking thin in the front court, which the Bucks can expose. Giannis and Parker will have a great game against the Cleveland.

Posted : December 21, 2016 4:37 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Harry Bondi

BYU / Wyoming Under 57.5

This bowl game has gone under in six of the last seven years., so we’ll follow that trend and call for another low-scoring game on the grass surface in San Diego. The key here is a Cougars defense that ranks in the Top 20 in the country, helping BYU go under in six of its last seven games and nine of 12 games overall this season. The under also went 5-2 this year when BYU was listed as the favorite. With back-up QB Tanner Mangum getting the start, look for BYU to lean on that stout defense and solid running game and slow down the pace.

Posted : December 21, 2016 4:38 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brett Atkins

Finally, an Over in bowl action on Tuesday, as the Boca Raton Bowl Over was the first in 8 bowls to go Over. Ready for Over # 2 in a row?

BYU went 9-3 Under the total this year, and they hit San Diego having played Under the total in 5 of their last 6 games. The Cougars defense held each of their last 4 opponents to 10 points or less. That's all fine and dandy, but holding Wyoming to that total or less simply isn't going to happen.

Wyoming played their final 4 games of the regular season Over the total, and went 9-4 Over the total for the year.

The Cowboys scored 30 points or more in 10 of their 13 games this season, and with this being their first bowl game under Coach Bohl, expect them to be raring to go.

The Cougars played Over the total in their bowl game a season ago versus Utah, and I see nothing changing in this year's bowl game.

BYU-Wyoming Over the total.

4* BYU-WYOMING OVER

Posted : December 21, 2016 4:39 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brad Wilton

Wednesday comp play is the go Over the total in the Red Storm-Orange meeting at the Carrier Dome tonight.

Old Big East rivals meet again, as St. John's takes on Syracuse, and one thing has been constant when these schools meet, and that is the points adding up to an Over.

The Over is 6-0-2 the past 8 series meetings dating back to 2010, so good reason to believe we will see some points being netted tonight between the teams.

Chris Mullins' team is 6-2 Over their last 8 on the road, while Jim Boeheim's team has played back-to-back Overs at home their last pair of games, and 3 of their last 4 with a line have also landed Over the posted price.

Play it Over tonight as the Johnnies and the 'Cuse live up to the series trends.

3* ST. JOHN'S-SYRACUSE OVER

Posted : December 21, 2016 4:40 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share: