1000 Units Minnesota over Cleveland
1000 Units San Diego over San Francisco
50 Units West Virginia/Marshall over the total

Posted : September 10, 2010 3:38 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member

BOB BALFE

San Francisco Giants -105

Both teams are evenly matched from a pitching standpoint tonight and almost identical in the standings. The Giants are a bit of a hotter team at the moment and it was clearly evident last night. Look for similar results this evening, with momentum being the key factor. Take San Francisco.

Posted : September 10, 2010 3:49 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member

Derek Mancini

30 Dime - Rangers

This is obviously an important series for both teams, who are looking to put their stamp on this potential playoff preview. That being said, I really liked the way the Rangers turned things around in Toronto, and I expect a return home will only bolster their confidence after what was looking like a very poor road trip.

Texas had lost 5 in a row before winning their final two games at the Rogers Centre. It was the boost they neeed going into tonight's huge series, getting back on track at the plate and on the mound. That's important, because the Yankees have owned the Rangers in Arlington (16-5 L21 there), and that leads me to my biggest question:

If the Yankees are so good in Texas, and considering both Vazquez & Wilson have struggled of late, they explain to me why New York is such a relatively large pup here? Think about it... This number is begging for Yankees money, enticing the average bettors to "take a shot" on the Yankees at plus money. Big mistake. There's a reason you're being asked to lay it with Texas here, and that reason is C.J. Wilson.

Did he struggle in his last start? Yes, surrendering 6 runs in 5 1/3 at the Twins Sunday. However, he was outstanding in the 4 starts prior, allowing 3 earned over those 30 innings with 32 strikeouts! He's also 10-2 with a 3.11 ERA in Arlington. Wilson has seen the Yankees twice this season, going 0-1 with a decent 3.97 ERA, but his last start against them wasn't anything special (2 runs allowed in 5 1/3 innings), which only leads me to believe he'll be even more motivated tonight.

Finally, remember guys, he's facing off against a pitcher who's been struggling mightily for some time now in Javier Vazquez. He posted a 6.69 ERA from July 21st to August 21st, then got promptly demoted to the bullpen, only to return and get rocked by the Blue Jays this past Saturday. Texas jumped all over Vazquez the last time they saw him, and I expect they'll do it again tonight. Rangers are batting .300 and averaging 5.6 runs per game against righties in Arlington this season. Lay it with the Rangers (Wilson) over the NY Yankees (Vazquez) Friday.

Posted : September 10, 2010 4:53 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member

The Duke's Sports

West Virginia (-12') for 1.5 Units

Marshall couldn't generate any offensive points vs a hard nosed Buckeyes defense and we don't believe they'll fare much better vs a veteran WV defense. 'Herd's team is having trouble grasping the systems Holliday implemented and we don't see them making corrective action here. The 'Herd were mistake laden last week dropping the ball all over the turf and losing it twice on fumbles and one interception; consequently, they were taken out of the game early and never recovered. And the conservative Buckeyes' offense rolled. WV has a potent offense with RB Noel Devine and QB Geno Smith has grasped control of running the first team offense. Smith has a good supporting cast and should mount plenty of scoring drives. The Mounties are 11-0 ATS on the road vs a team with a losing home record. WV the call.

Posted : September 10, 2010 4:55 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member

Marc Lawrence

Boston Red Sox -115

When the Red Sox open a crucial three-game series with the A's in Oakland this evening they will send Clay Buchholz to the hill against Trevor Cahill in a matchup of All-Star hurlers. Buchholz takes the hill having cashed in 13 of his last 16 road team starts. He is also 3-1 away with a 1.94 ERA in his four career road team starts during the month of September. Meanwhile, Cahill enters 0-2 with an 8.73 ERA in his two career team starts in this series. With the A's 0-6 in their last six games against the A. L. East, look for the Red Sox to capture the series opener here tonight. We recommend a strong 3-unit play on Boston.

Posted : September 10, 2010 5:26 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member

Dwayne Bryant

Houston-19.5

Houston went into UTEP last season as 14-point favorites and left with a 58-41 loss. The Cougars played a very sloppy game, but they now have the chance to avenge that embarrassing loss in one of the best possible scenarios: at home on national TV (ESPN). Houston, led by Heisman hopeful QB Case Keenum, scored 54 points in the first half last week against Texas State. UTEP also faced weaker competition and came away with a 31-10 win against Arkansas-Pine Bluff. UTEP actually needed a strong effort for four quarters to beat APB, and I expect them to be in WAY over their heads tonight. The Miners have only four returning starters on a defense that allowed 447 yards per game and 34 points per game last season. I don't see that UTEP stop unit being able to slow down Keenum & his powerful Houston offense. Payback comes in a BIG way tonight. I'm calling it Houston 52, UTEP 24.

Posted : September 10, 2010 5:29 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member

Lenny Del Genio

Florida -110

Have to love the Marlins vs. lefties. The Fish are an NL best 29-13 vs. southpaws this season, including 12-2 in road night games. Washington starter John Lannan has pitched well since coming back from his demotion to Double A, but has traditionally struggled vs. division rival Florida, owning a 5.68 career ERA against them. That includes a loss in his only outing vs. them this year as he served up six runs on nine hits. There is plenty of bad blood in this division rivalry thanks to the bench-clearing brawl earlier this month involving Nationals leadoff hitter Morgan and Marlins starter Chris Volstad. Florida has owned head to head play with Washington, taking 36 of the last 50 meetings. Can't expect that to change considering Washington is just 7-27 when playing with a day off. It doesn't help that the Nats are a horrible 56-112 in double revenge situations either. Florida is 8-2 in road games after allowing 7+ runs in BB games. They still have faint playoff hopes, unlike Washington, and should be motivated to beat up on their rival. Florida is our 20* NL East Game of the Month.

Posted : September 10, 2010 5:30 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member

Ben Burns

Rangers

Edmonton

Posted : September 10, 2010 5:38 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member

Great Lakes

5* GOM Astros
4* Yanks
3* Braves

Posted : September 10, 2010 5:39 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member

Northcoast

Marquee - W Virginia

Posted : September 10, 2010 5:40 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member

Sports Unlimited

3* Blue Jays

Posted : September 10, 2010 5:44 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member

Nick "BookieKiller" Parsons

10* Houston / UTEP Under 73.5

Analysis: For a number of different reasons I believe the value in this contest is on the "under"

The Miners saw that total go "under" the number 5 of 12 games last year (note: total went "under" in their first two games last season). Last week they won 31-10 over Arkansas Pine-Bluff, and the total went "over" the number.

The last time these teams met, UTEP won 58-41; that victory was the first over a ranked opponent since 1997.

Last week the Miners had a balanced game; Trevor Viittatoe was solid, connecting with nine different receivers.

However the most impressive players on the offensive side of the ball were RB's Joseph Banyard and Vernon Frazier who combined for 183 yards; I expect UTEP to run the ball against the suspect defensive front of Houston.

Although it was just Arkansas Pine-Bluff, UTEP did put up solid and balanced defensive totals; 278 yards and just 14 first downs which resulted in 10-points.

On the other side of the field: Houston saw the total go "under" the number in 4 of 12 games a season ago; last week it won 68-28 over Texas State; the total sailing well above the posted number.

The Cougars will definitely be playing with "revenge" here after last years debacle; Houston is 30-16-1 in conference openers.

Suffice to say, if it wants to avoid a similar result to last year, the Cougars will have to play with a much more concerted effort on the defensive side of the ball.

The defense wasn't particularly effective last week, giving up 347 yards and 28 points; however it's important to note that the score was 68-7 before the Cougars gave up three late and meaningless second half TD's.

The defense did manage to get an interception and controlled the tempo of the game until later in the second half.

An interesting observation sees that Houston has in fact seen the total go "under" the number in four of seven games over the last two seasons as a favorite of 10 1/2 to 21 points; also in five of nine home contests.

Bottom line: I believe this total is inflated; so when factoring in all of the strong variable factors above, we are without question getting great value on the UNDER here;

Posted : September 10, 2010 6:02 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: