3* San Francisco / Arizona Over 42

3* Miami -12

Posted : November 29, 2010 6:33 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Larry Ness

9* NFC West GOM - Arizona +2

Incredibly, the winner of this game between these two, 3-7 clubs, moves within one game of first place in the NFC West (Rams and Seahawks lead the division at 5-6). The four teams own a collective minus-247 point-differential on the season, FAR and AWAY the worst of any of the NFL's eight divisions. While the Cards were the two-time defending NFC West champs entering this season, most people (including myself) felt that this was the 49ers season to "break through." San Fran was 8-8 last season but outscored its opponents by 49 points, a good indicator of "coming improvement" in the next year. Plus, the defense ranked 4th in the NFL in points allowed in 2009 (17.6 per game) while RB Frank Gore had put together four consecutive 1,000-yard seasons. However, not much has gone right for the 49ers. The team opened 0-5, fired its offensive coordinator and has gone to another Smith at QB. Alex Smith's tenure with San Fran looks to be over, as Troy Smith will be making his fourth straight start for the 49ers. Troy threw for 552 yards on 29-of-47 passing with two TDs in his first two starts without an interception. However, he's off an awful performance at home last Sunday vs the Bucs, completing 16-of-31 for just 148 yards with one INT and most troubling, getting sacked SIX times. The San Fran OL is awful (and has been for a few seasons) but one of the big plusses that Troy had over Alex was supposed to be his mobility and his ability to AVOID the sack! Also, against the sieve-like Tampa Bay rush 'D,' Frank Gore ran for just 23 yards (how does that happen?). Arizona's run defense comes in ranked 28th in the league at 135.1 YPG but can we really count on San Fran to exploit it. As for the Cards, let me quote their head coach. "We are not really a confident team right now," coach Ken Whisenhunt said. "I think it's a natural human emotion when you've lost five in a row and you've lost some of the games the way we have. It's definitely something that plays into it. This game is about momentum. It's about confidence and we don't have a lot to base positive things on here lately." That's what Whisenhunt said but this guy has done a terrific job here in Arizona and I'm willing to give the Cards the benefit of the doubt in this one. The much-maligned Anderson has thrown for 617 yards in his last two games (just two TDs but just ONE interception in 91 attempts!) and while the running game is again among the worst in the NFL, note this. When Arizona went to the Super Bowl in the 2008 season, the Cards averaged 3.5 YPC. This year's group is averaging 4.5 YPC! In a 'battle' of two HUGE underachievers, I'm siding with the home team, the one which has proven it can win "big games" over the last two season. Arizona gets its first "big win" of 2010 and then sees if it can get a few more. To be continued.

Posted : November 29, 2010 6:49 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I have to take off but most everything is posted.

Posted : November 29, 2010 6:50 pm
 ugk
(@ugk)
Estimable Member

KELSO
10 UNIT* NFL* SF 49ers -1
10 UNIT* NFL* SF 49ers UNDER
10 UNIT* CBB* VIRGINIA CAVALIERS +13
3 UNIT* CBB* GEORGE WASHINGTON COLONIALS -9.5

Posted : November 29, 2010 7:03 pm
 ugk
(@ugk)