Pinnacle GOY - Buccaneers

Posted : August 27, 2011 2:19 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Joseph D'Amico

Houston Texans vs. San Francisco 49ers
Play: Houston Texans -4

Both teams fell short of expectations last year. Houston comes into this matchup 2-0 both SU and ATS while San Fran is 1-1 both SU and ATS. The 49ers made a coaching change to Jim Harbaugh that will pay off in the end. However, not here. The new coach will not put his stars in harms way in exhibition play. There is a lot of pressure in the Bay Area to improve this upcoming season. Overall, San Francisco scored just 20 total points in their 2 pre-season contests. I don't see anything changing here against a Houston squad that "HAD TO" improve on their bottom tier defense from a year ago. The Texans stop unit looked sharp, holding the Jets to 16 points and the saints to 14 points in exhibition play. The QB situation at this point looks stronger for Houston. They have a strong receiving corps and several key RBs. Not to mention Arian Foster. Take Houston.

Posted : August 27, 2011 2:22 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Al DeMarco

15 Dime Denver Broncos

It's the perfect storm for Denver tonight as they host struggling Seattle in the third game of the preseason, the game where starters - including quarterback Kyle Orton - are expected to play into the third quarter. The Broncos' signal-caller, who missed some practice time this week because of a child being born, has squelched trade talk and discussion over whether he would lose his job by completing 63% of his preseason passes following a strong 10-of-13, 135-yard, 1-TD effort against Buffalo in a 24-10 home win last week.

The Broncos, who opened up a 14-3 half-time lead against the Bills last week, watched Brady Quinn have a strong game (10-for-16, 130 yards, 1 TD) in relief of Orton. But for tonight's game, it's expected that Tim Tebow, who had just two passes attempts versus Buffalo but shared first-team reps with Quinn during Orton's absence this week, will be the first quarterback off the bench.

Orton, Tebow and possibly Quinn will be facing a Seattle defense with some major injury concerns. Two starters, MLB David Hawthorne and strong safety Kam Chancellor, are out. Cornerback Walter Thurmond, expected to compete for a starting job but sidelined most of training camp with a high ankle sprain, is questionable. Meanwhile, starting defensive end Chris Clemons, who had a team-leadding 11 sacks last year, will be seeing his first action, albeit limited, of the preseason after recovering from ankle surgery.

Denver's new defensive coordinator Dennis Allen is in the midst of installing a much more aggressive, attacking unit. It paid dividends against the Bills, who weren't able to stretch the field vertically. Tonight it faces a Seattle offense that's yet to score with expected starting quarterback Tarvaris Jackson at the helm.

Jackson, the former Viking, is 14-for-26 this preseason for 88 yards despite the additions of WR Sidney Rice and TE Zach Miller. Problem is Seattle's offensive line is struggling for consistency and cohosiveness. Starting LT Russell Okung remains out with an ankle injury while the team is starting rookies at right guard and tackle.

Back-up Charlie Whitehurst, who might see a series or two with the first-stringers, has played well this preseason and is coming off a 14-for-19, 97-yard outing in last week's 20-7 home loss to Minnesota. However, he's accumulated most of his passing stats against back-ups playing for the Chargers and Vikings so far.

Another concern for Seattle's attack: top running back Marshawn Lynch is out with an ankle injury.

Denver's Orton should be able to exploit Seattle's defensive woes caused by injury and a weak pass rush. But key tonight will be the Broncos establishing a strong ground game. They ran for 126 yards and averaged 5.3 yards per carry against a weak Buffalo stop unit last week. But Knowshon Moreno (6 carries, 28 yards), Brandon Minor (6 for 24) and Lance Ball (7 for 20) were productive. Look for Moreno and power back Willie McGahee (5 carries, 6 yards vs. Bills) to get more totes versus a Seahawk defense that allowed Minnesota to run for 142 yards and average 5.3 yards a pop last week.

Final projected score: Denver 27, Seattle 17

Posted : August 27, 2011 2:26 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chuck O'Brien

30 Dime Jacksonville Jaguars ML

The headline cracked me up, as it read "Buffalo getting down to business vs. Jaguars." Really?!? With what army? The Bills are going to be lucky to avoid becoming this season's laughingstock of the league, if the Chiefs don't beat them to the punch. And while this is supposed to be a dress rehearsal for the regular season, the Bills come into this one with the possibility of being without as many as four starters, including rookie defensive end Marcell Dareus, who has a bruised calf and sore ankle, and veteran linebacker Shawne Merriman, who has been dealing with a sore groin.

The list goes on, and even include Roscoe Parrish, but the fact is, the Bills may have ended their season before the exhibition campaign began. I bring up Parrish because I'm still baffled by the the team's trade to Baltimore, which saw Lee Evans become a part of Joe Flacco's offense. What the Bills were thinking, I have no clue, but it wasn't about winning, cause Evans was their biggest offensive threat. So while coach Chan Gailey must make his difficult roster decisions soon, he's and the upper brass made dumbest - and costliest - already.

I'm more intrigued with the Jaguars, who will play their much more talented starters well into the third quarter, and though they'll still be sans Marcus Jones-Drew, I like the approach coach Jack Del Rio has taken this preseason - a much more organized one than Gailey, or Kansas City coach Todd Haley. Forget the lockout, and forget the fact this team was humbled in the preseason opener, 47-12, observing the methodical approach Del Rio has taken with his team, I'm impressed and just may become a believer about this so-called improved defense.

Week 1 - they faced the Patriots. Week 2 - they faced the Falcons, and won 15-13. Now they take on the hapless Bills, who have scored 13 points total, losing at Chicago, 10-3, and at Denver, 24-10. The pass rush improved last week, despite being the lone NFL team without a sack this preseason; that should change this week.

Jacksonville is going to win this game boys, mark my words. It's a given. Play the Jags on the moneyline!

Posted : August 27, 2011 2:29 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bob Balfe

Pittsburgh Steelers -3

The Steelers defense is 100% back from last year. This is a unit that was awesome and got all the way to the Super Bowl. I expect them only to get better. Atlanta is a great team and this game, without a doubt, could be a Super Bowl preview. At the end of the day, the Steelers have a great defense and are at home. Take Pittsburgh.

Lions / Patriots Over 44.5

This seems like a sucker bet and who knows - it could be because it is the preseason, but I just can't get over how well the Patriots have played this preseason. The Lions are no longer the worst team in the NFL and I believe, one day, Matthew Stafford will get himself a Super Bowl ring. The Lions will have a great offense if they can stay healthy. Look for both teams to put up enough to push this over the total. Take the Over.

San Diego Chargers -3

They say that week 3 of the preseason is almost like a regular season game. San Diego was the best team in the NFL last year in both offense and defense. This team is known for slow starts, but I think they are so good this year that they will come flying out the gates. Arizona is a new-look team and they are going to hit their bumps in the road before they get on the same level as this San Diego team. Take the Chargers.

Chicago White Sox -102

The Mariners have a great young pitcher who has a bright future in Michael Pineda. However, he does give up the long ball a lot - which should be the difference in this game. Seattle does not put up many runs and, against Danks, should struggle again tonight on offense. Take the White Sox.

Posted : August 27, 2011 2:31 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bruce Marshall

Padres at Diamondbacks
Pick: Diamondbacks-1.5

It looks like the Arizona Diamondbacks have found some traction once more. After the season seemed to be unraveling with a 6-game losing streak, the D-backs have now won 4 in a row and go for five straight tonight at Chase Field against visiting San Diego. Arizona starter Joe Saunders put the clamps on the Padres June 26 at Petco Park, limiting them to 1 run on 6 hits in a complete-game 6-1 win. And with the San Diego offense on the blink once again, we doubt starter Aaron Harang gets bailed out with the sort of run support that has benefited him this season. Run Line prices in the +135 range seem good value for Arizona. Play Diamondbacks on Run Line

Posted : August 27, 2011 2:38 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Scott Spreitzer

Alouettes / Stampeders Under

Posted : August 27, 2011 2:38 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Ben Burns

10* 49ers

9* Patriots / Lions Under

9* Seahawks

Posted : August 27, 2011 2:40 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chip Chirimbes

San Diego Chargers vs. Arizona Cardinals
Play: Arizona Cardinals +3

San Diego played their 'big' preseason game last week in Dallas as they defeated the Cowboys in a Nationally Televised contest and will get caught by Arizona who was pasted by Green Bay last week. Look for quarterback Kevin Kolb to play extensively against San Diego and for the Cardinals to take this one to the Chargers. Take ARIZONA!

Posted : August 27, 2011 3:49 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jimmy Boyd

5* Bills

4* Buccaneers

3* White Sox

Posted : August 27, 2011 3:52 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

KELSO

25 Units SD Padres +135
15 Units Texas Rangers -155
10 Units Cleveland Indians -150
3 Units Chicago White Sox +100
3 Units Colorado Rockies +123

Posted : August 27, 2011 3:56 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Gregg Price

4* Miami Dolphins

Lets take the points here, as I like Miami's 1-2 punch at QB. They are also playing very well heading into this game. Miami was very good on the road last year, and are 1-0 in the pre-season. TB is a bad bet at home as a fav under Morris.

4* Arizona Cardinals

I just don't see S.D. taking this team seriously. They are coming off a big win over Dallas on Sunday night football. This is more of a big game for Arizona, plus its their first home game. 4* ARIZONA

Posted : August 27, 2011 3:57 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share: