Wyoming +7
Cal State Fullerton +2.5

Posted : January 9, 2010 11:36 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

DR BOB

4* Ohio State (+5) over MINNESOTA

Ohio State's top player Evan Turner returned to the starting lineup on Wednesday night in a 79-54 blowout win over Indiana after missing nearly 7 games with a back injury. Turner's return is more than enough for the Buckeyes to get past an overrated Minnesota team that has destroyed mediocre and bad teams but has struggled against good teams this season. The Golden Gophers have played 6 games against decent or good teams this season and their only impressive showing among those 6 games was a 9 point win over Butler back in November. Since then the Gophers have lost to Portland, Texas A&M, Miami-Florida, and were killed by Purdue on Tuesday night while barely beating Penn State by 5 points as a 13 point favorite. Minnesota is just 1-5 ATS in those 6 games against decent teams and their average game rating in those 6 games is more than 8 points worse than their overall rating, which was built up by beating up on bad teams. Ohio State was 0-6 ATS without Turner and 7-2 ATS when he starts and my ratings favor Minnesota by just 2 points in this game if big man Ralph Sampson plays for the Gophers after missing the last two games (he's questionable). Not only is there line value in favor Ohio State but the Buckeyes apply to a 47-10-2 ATS road underdog situation while Minnesota applies to a negative 42-120-7 ATS based on their loss to Purdue. I'll take Ohio State in a 4-Star Best Bet at +5 points or more, for 3-Stars from +4 1/2 to +3 and for 2-Stars down to +2 points.
Play Strength: 4-Stars at +5 or more, 3-Stars to +3 and 2-Stars down to +2.

3* ILLINOIS STATE (pick) over Northern Iowa

Northern Iowa has won 12 consecutive games and is on an 8 game spread win streak, but the Panthers apply to a negative 25-56-1 ATS situation that plays against road teams that have won and covered the spread in 5 or more consecutive games. Illinois State, meanwhile, has won 5 of their last 6 games (4-0-1 ATS) and the Redbirds qualify in a very strong 100-29-2 ATS home momentum situation. My ratings favor the Redbirds by 1/2 a point, so this line is pretty fair and I'm even willing to give up a bit of line value to play the great situation. I'll take Illinois State in a 3-Star Best Bet at -1 or better and for 2-Stars at -1 1/2 or -2 points.
Play Strength: 3-Stars at -1 or better, 2-Stars up to -2.

Posted : January 9, 2010 11:44 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Lockoftheday

Mississippi -2.5

Big SEC battle in Mississippi today, and we are gonna stay on the home team here. Ole Miss is a slight favorite in this rivalry and is 8-0 @ home this season. The Favorite is 10-3 ATS in their last 13 meetings. Last season, Ole Miss suffered a tough 2 pt loss @home to Miss St. We expect a very different outcome as Miss gets revenge in a big way on their home court! Take the Rebels -2.5.

Cincinnati/ Seton Hall Over 143

Cincinnati averages nearly 73 pts per game; Seton Hall nearly 86 pts per game. Despite the last 4 match-ups going under in this series, we have a strong feeling were gonna see many more pts in this contest. The bearcats show a trend of scoring big on Saturdays: The over has hit 10/14 times in Cincinnati's last 14 games on the weekend. This game should be in the high 70's as it projects out to at least 148 pts by our estimates, so we'll take the edge and go over 143 in this match-up!

Posted : January 9, 2010 11:45 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

NORTHCOAST

3'* Cinn

Top Opinion Dallas Over

Regular Opinion Dallas, Cinn Over

Posted : January 9, 2010 11:52 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

PowerplayWins

Wichita State -7.5

Posted : January 9, 2010 11:52 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

ATS

8 Units Louisville
8 Units W.Mich
8 Units James Madison
8 Units South Alabama
6 Units Vandy
6 Units La Tech

Posted : January 9, 2010 11:55 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chris Jordan

ODDSMAKERS DILEMMA

500♦ CINCINNATI BENGALS

Sorry all of you out there singing J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets ... I cannot rightfully back the Jets in this spot, with a rookie quarterback playing his first playoff game on the road against a team looking to prove it was third-rate last week.

In last Sunday’s night game, the Bengals held back a lot of the bread-and-butter in their arsenal, like the Double A-gap blitzes, like inside power runs by Ced Benson and active-motion by the receivers.

I know this is defensive wizard Rex Ryan's blitzing scheme, but all due respect, this unit hasn't seen a legitimate, first-rate offense since Nov. 22, when it went to New England and lost 31-14. To wit:

Nov. 29 vs. Carolina - 27-9 win over the Panthers' 19th-ranked offense
Dec. 3 vs. Buffalo - 19-13 win over the Bills' 30th-ranked offense
Dec. 10 vs. Tampa Bay - 26-3 win over the Bucs'
Dec. 20 vs. Atlanta - a 10-7 setback against
Dec. 27 vs. Indianapolis - a 29-15 win over the second strung Colts.
Jan. 3 vs. Cincinnati - a 37-0 win over the toothless-less Bengals

Now, don't get me wrong, the Bungles aren't exactly the most explosive bunch with the 24th-ranked offense. But they do rank ninth in rushing, and I am a firm believer there is no passing game that can succeed without an effective rushing game.

After all, it sets up your play action, it can force a member of the secondary toward the line of scrimmage to help fill those A-Gaps, leaving room for the receiving corps to roam and it ultimately causes confusion on those 3rd-and-short plays if the defense believes it's coming up the gut.

And for all intent purposes, let's assume the Jets defend well; what about Sanchez? I know there are many marveling at how he's managed to stay turnover-free the last two games, but the Colts and Bengals barely brought any fuel to the fire.

And, Brian Schottenheimer protected Sanchez by running the ball four times in seven third-and-long situations or using the Wildcat-formation in some of those situations. You don't think a full-strength Bengals defense will be better prepared this time around? No doubt about it, Schottenheimer is going to limit Sanchez’s throwing to first and second down, while hoping for third-and-manageable. But if the fourth-ranked defense gets to Sanchez early and often, he'll be gun shy the entire game.

Cause for rookie mistakes if you ask me.

I am going to play the home team in this one, as the Bengals are a solid 7-2 ATS when playing teams with a winning record - they play to the level of competition, as evidenced by them not exerting anything extra and/or worrying about inflated-line losses to Chiefs, Browns and Lions late in the season.

But I am advising you to BE SURE you're laying the 2-1/2 point spread that has been available all week. Do not get caught laying a field goal, in the event your book decides to move this line. If you see a -3, you're to purchase a half point down and lay only 2-1/2 points.

Posted : January 9, 2010 12:07 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Great Lakes

5* Notre Dame

Posted : January 9, 2010 12:07 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

GAMEDAY SPORTS

3* BAYLOR -7' vs Oklahoma