Topic starter

Kyle Bales

100* Alabama -4

Posted : January 7, 2010 6:28 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

SAMMY JANKUS

Always play the OTHER SIDE of my game writeups.

Texas vs Alabama
3* Texas +4

Never, ever did I expect to see an Urban Meyer-coached Florida team POUNDED into submission they way Alabama did in the SEC championship game. The Longhorns played a bunch of lightweights by comparison and won’t be able to match up with the Tide on EITHER SIDE of the ball. I expect to see a two-touchdown win by Bama tonight – so your play is on TEXAS.

Posted : January 7, 2010 6:28 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

SAM CLAYTON

IU/OSU Under 138

I leaned under the posted total initially, but am now confirming this play with the news that Evan Turner has been cleared to play. Indiana is still a young team that is rather black and white when it comes to playing home and away, and tonight they'll struggle scoring against a stingy Buckeye defense -- a defense that gets exponentially better with Turner in the fray. The former St. Joseph's (Ill.) standout gives Matta much needed length and athleticism on the defensive side of the ball and his ability to both contest shots and grab rebounds is unparalleled in the Big Ten. That said, with Turner back in the lineup, you have to believe that Thad Matta will attempt to keep this a half-court ball game down as he slowly weens his superstar back into action. I doubt we'll see Ohio State try and get out and run in transition because of the question marks surrounding Turner's ailing back. As far as Vegas is concerned, you would think having perhaps the best player in the conference returning to action would jack up the total, but it continues to get lower ... 137 at some shops and trending downward.

Indiana 60
Ohio State 72

Posted : January 7, 2010 6:29 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bobby Flanagan

3* Texas/Alabama Under 46

Both offenses have been potent by respectively averaging 40.7 PPG (Texas) and 31.7 PPG (Alabama). This isn't going to be the high scoring affair some may think most Championship games turn out to be. We have two defenses that are superior, 15.2 PPG (Texas) and 11.0 PPG (Alabama).

You have to figure the Alabama game plan will be to pound it to the running backs all night long and keep Colt McCoy on the sidelines. Coach Nick Saban will keep Greg McElroy on a short leash tonight to try to avoid any mistakes. I see a very conservative game plan being run tonight by Saban and let the defense win the game for them as they have done all year.

The Texas defense doesn't get the same respect as the offense but let us look at how they have fared in spotlight games. Their two biggest games were against Oklahoma and Nebraska and they held them to 13 and 12 points. Alabama wants to run the ball but Texas is giving up just 62 rushing yards per game. That is going to be a great matchup.

The Alabama defense has been great when they had to step up in spotlight games. We saw them hold Florida to 13 points, the same Florida team that was 10th in the nation in scoring. They held Arkansas to 7 points who was the number 9 scoring offense in the nation this year.

Texas has a questionable running attack to maintain against this tough of a front seven. They love to pass the ball but the Alabama secondary is amazing holding opponents to just 163 passing yards per game. Oklahoma and Nebraska were the two toughest defenses the Longhorns played all year and they scored just 16 and 13 points in those games.

The Alabama defense is even better than those two. Look for a low scoring old fashioned defensive showdown tonight.

3* Jacksonville St +3

The home team is 7-0 ATS in the last 7 meetings and Eastern Kentucky has dropped their last four meetings here. This is one of the those good old trap games where it looks like cake laying just 3 points with a 10-5 team against Jacksonville St. with a losing record.

Eastern Kentucky has only won a single away game in six attempts this year and I don't think they get it done in this game. The main culprit for the 5-8 Jacksonville St. record is they are 0-5 on the road but maintain a solid 5-3 record at home. I'm not buying into the trap of the road favorite and I think Jacksonville St. has an excellent opportunity to win this game outright.

Jacksonville St. shoots much better at home and their road stats are what has taken a toll on their yearly numbers. We'll get a good showing from the home dog in this and I have a very good feeling they get another home win tonight.

3* Lasalle +4

Here we get to play against another false road favorite. I'm from Ohio and have spoke to my sources back home and Xavier is going to struggle tonight. Xavier has not won a road game this season and I don't think they beat Lasalle tonight.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt of playing three good teams away from home but I've liked Kimani Barrett from Lasalle since last year. He is a steady player that contributes 15 points a night and he is a like the Scottie Pippen to Rodney Green who is averaging 18 points a night this year. Green has been averaging double digits since he was Freshman. This is Green's year and his team and I don't think he lets them down.

This was the year we all had high expectations for Lasalle to be a competitor in the Atlantic-10 with these two guys back but they have dropped five games already. They only lost one home game this year and that was to Cornell who gave Kansas a scare last night.

I had Lasalle penned as my sleeper in the Atlantic-10 because they return five starters that are all seniors. I think the slow start to the season put a damper on things but if they compete tough in conference play they have an outside shot of making the Tournament for the first time since 1992.

We'll take the home dog led by five seniors who are returning starters to protect their home court against Xavier who lost their three best players and coach from last year's 27-8 team.

(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Paul Bovi

Texas vs Alabama
Pick: Under 46

College footballs' swan song featuring 2 teams with sound defenses, both of which should contain the opposition. The Horns were stout this year though they were pierced by A & M s Johnson, an athletic and mobile QB who ran for 90+ while compiling an outstanding efficiency rating. Other than that they were solid. The Tide was equally stern on defense and should put pressure on McCoy who will probably try to rely on a short passing game. Look for a low scoring game here as this one stays under the number.

(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Executive

300 Texas

300 Morehead State

Posted : January 7, 2010 6:33 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Rainman

5* Alabama

Posted : January 7, 2010 6:33 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

KB Hoops

5* Texas Longhorns +4 **POD**
4* Austin Peay -14.5
3* Michigan +2

Posted : January 7, 2010 6:51 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Looks like that's about it guys I'm off to enjoy the game.

Posted : January 7, 2010 6:57 pm
Page 5 / 5
Share: