73 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Stephen Nover

15-DIME - Steelers/Titans OVER

Under the total often is the way to go in Week 1, but not in this matchup. The oddsmaker has set a low total, but the situation and the way the offenses will attack these quality defenses dictate more of a wide open game than many anticipate.

Look for the Titans to throw more against the Steelers. Tennessee has upgraded its passing attack with the additions of wide receivers Nate Washington and rookie Kenny Britt, who looked outstanding during preseason. Washington practiced on Tuesday, but may not play because of a hamstring. He played for the Steelers last year and has been helpful to Kerry Collins in pointing out Pittsburgh defensive tendencies.

The Titans put up 31 points on the Steelers last year. The key was the Steelers could only sack the immobile Collins once. The Titans do an excellent job of pass-blocking and center Kevin Mawae is expected to start after being out. The Steelers aren't expected to have one of their better defensive players in linebacker Lawrence Timmons, who is doubtful with an ankle injury.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher isn't afraid to gamble on special teams when he's an underdog. He's proven that with on-side kicks and fake punts.

I see Pittsburgh opening its offense up, too. The Titans' defense lost their best player, tackle Albert Haynesworth, and also no longer has highly-respected coordinator Jim Schwartz. Tennessee's defense still will be good, but not dominant.

This is a huge revenge spot for Pittsburgh and it's a nationally televised game. The Steelers usually are at their best in these situations. The loss of Haynesworth hurts the Titans' run defense, which means Ben Roethlisberger should be even more effective in his play-action passes.

Posted : September 10, 2009 2:02 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Michael Cannon

20 Dime - Titans-Steelers OVER

Take the over tonight between the Titans and Steelers.

I?ve studied this matchup for over a month now and while Ive waffled on the side I have never doubted the total.

This game is going to go over and it wouldnt surprise me if it hits by the end of the 3rd quarter.

The public thinks otherwise as the number opened at 37 but quickly dropped two points to the current 35. Although I don?t put any weight in what the public does when I handicap a matchup, I do believe that they are reading too much into the respective defenses in this game.

The main thing that Tennessee has to deal with defensively is the loss of tackle Albert Haynesworth. He is a perennial All-Pro and although Tennessee still boasts a stout defense, they will feel the void that was left when Haynesworth signed with Washington.

On the other side of the ball, the Steelers return the leagues top stop-unit and one that can potentially be better with Lawrence Timmons replacing the departed Larry Foote as one of the inside linebackers. But Timmons is out with an injury, so the Steelers will have to wait a week to see what his potential impact will be.

Thats not to say the Steelers will not perform up to their lofty standards, but I still think this number is too low on the total.

The Steelers have historically performed very well offensively in Week 1 and it wouldnt surprise me if they did so tonight. But their offensive line remains a question mark and that?s why I didnt necessarily like them to cover the side in this game. Besides, in Week 1 youre more prone to mistakes on offense because the cohesiveness just isnt there after playing sparingly in the preseason.

As we all know turnovers lead to easy points, thus making the over even more easily attainable.

You also cant forget that the Titans were the only team to put up over 300 yards of offense against the Steelers in last years 31-14 blowout win in Week 16.

The over for Pittsburgh is on streaks of 4-1 overall, 7-0 in Week 1 action, 13-4 against the AFC and 39-16-2 at Heinz Field.

The total has also gone over in six of the last seven meetings between these two overall and seven of the last eight battles in Pittsburgh.

All we need is a final score of 20-17 for this game to go over.

Take the over as I see the defending champs winning at home.

10 Dime - GEORGIA TECH

Lay the points with Georgia Tech tonight at home over Clemson.

Clemson starts freshman Kyle Parker at quarterback and I just don?t trust him in this spot on the road against a Top-20 team.

Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson has that confusing triple-option attack on offense and the Tigers have to adjust after playing against the spread attack that Middle Tennessee State ran last week.

Clemson running back C. J. Spiller sat out the second half of last weeks game after an apparent hamstring injury and if hes not at full strength that will further hamper the Tigers chances here.

Georgia Tech has 19 returning starters from last year and that experience only makes them that much more attractive at home under the prime-time lights.

Lay the points with Georgia Tech as they grab the win and cover.

Posted : September 10, 2009 2:03 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

JACK JONES

15* Houston Astros -118

Take the red hot Houston Astros against the ice cold Atlanta Braves tonight. The Astros have won 5 of their last 6 with the Braves dropping 6 of their last 7. Houston starter Roy Oswalt has quietly went 8-5 this season with a 3.77 ERA and 1.19 WHIP, the Astros have won in each of his last 2 starts, and they are 7-5 when he pitches for them at home. Derek Lowe started off hot for the Braves, but has not put up impressive numbers this season. He is 13-9, but he has a 4.36 ERA and 1.45 WHIP in 29 starts this season. He is simply giving up too many hits. With the Astros playing their best baseball this season, they are the value play at home here.

Posted : September 10, 2009 2:06 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Freddy Wills

3-Dime NFL POD Steelers -6

3-Dime CFB Clemson +6

4-Dime MLB POD Astros/Braves Under 8

Posted : September 10, 2009 3:31 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

MustWinSports

25 DIME Georgia Tech

5 DIME Tennessee/Pittsburgh Over

Posted : September 10, 2009 3:32 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Lenny Del Genio

20* Thursday Game of the Month - Georgia Tech -5.5

We just do not see Clemson being able to stop Georgia Tech’s triple option here. Last week, they relied on having the better athletes as well as running the ball and special teams to defeat an over matched Middle Tennessee State team. Ga Tech HC Johnson was not happy with his team’s performance (five fumbles), despite 335 yards rushing.

We always love taking a look at the home team on Thursday night games (crowd is all fired up) and Clemson couldn't defeat GT at home last year (L 21-17, +2) despite it being the Jackets 1st year in Johnson’s system. Tech has a habit of fast starts, illustrated by a 16-5 ATS run the first two weeks of the season since '92. In their last two visits to Atlanta, Clemson has scored a combined 12 points.

Posted : September 10, 2009 3:33 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

ALATEX

20* Houston Under 7.5

(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Craig Davis

30 DIME - STEELERS

Here it is... my favorite time of the year. Since I spend a lot of my time running my fantasy football website, you know I analyze these players on a daily basis and I've been counting the days until I could start helping you unload on your man/book with these NFL plays. I finished last year's playoffs on an 8-3 run and capped it off with a 75-dime easy winner on the Arizona Cardinals. I own the NFL and I'm going to start the season off in style, with a nice simple Thursday night winner on the defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

The general public is all over the Titans in this one and for good reason... they were amazing ATS last season and dominated the Steelers in their regular season Week 15 affair to the tune of a 31-14 pounding. Let's keep something in perspective, though. The Steelers clearly had the toughest schedule in all of football and were coming off a brutal stretch of games. They were due for a letdown... kinda like the same letdown the Titans had when they were pummeled by the Jets earlier in the year. I've come to realize betting on the NFL is all about perception. The general perception is that Pittsburgh is laying too many points against a team that ranked in the top 5 in defense, even if the game is at home. Tennessee is a ball-control offense that doesn't make too many mistakes, and plays well enough on defense to keep the team in every game.

The problem with Tennessee begins up front, with the off-season loss of DT Albert Haynesworth. If you don't think that loss is going to affect this team's run defense, think again. He caused so much trouble to opposing offensive lines that they simply had to double team him and hope the rest of the line could manage the other linemen and backers. Without Haynesworth, this unit is completely different and will have to learn to adjust to life without him. And it's not like the Steelers can't run the ball. Let's remember that Willie Parker is 100% healthy and has a history of dominating in Week 1 of the NFL's regular season.

Last season in Week 1 vs. Houston, Parker rushed for 138 yards and 3 TDs. In 2007, he rushed for 109 yards against Cleveland and in 2006 he rushed for 119 yards against Miami. How about 2005? Parker rushed for 161 yards and a TD against Tennessee, including 48 yards receiving in a 38-7 win. So you see... for whatever reason Parker and the Pittsburgh running game completely dominate in Week 1 and there's no reason for me to believe it will change in 2009.

Tennessee still has question marks at wide receiver, and until Nate Washington proves that he's 100%, I'm not sure any of the other receivers put a scare in Pittsburgh. Oh sure, they do have talent at TE, but let's keep in perspective that Pittsburgh has some of the best linebackers and safeties in football. They might bend but they won't break. Tennessee's runners (Chris Johnson and LenDale White) will do their best to get the Tennessee running game going, but they'll be facing literally the same rush defense that dominated the NFL last season. Yards and scores will be hard to come by and I'm calling for a 23-10 Pittsburgh win at home tonight.

(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

The Duke's Sports

Georgia Tech (-5) for 2 Units

The 'Jackets were a cash cow last year in Paul Johnson's debut in the ACC. And what was really impressive is how he guided the most youthful team (75 players were either freshmen or sophomores) team in the conference to a 6-2 ATS mark in the conference. And we still believe he'll keep his now seasoned cast hungry. Johnson returns 9 starters on offense and 7 on defense. And despite the pre-season buzz about Clemson, Dabo Swinney is not going to out-coach Paul Johnson, who gets the most out of his players; and he has got developed talent this year. Tigers are just 3-8 ATS on Thursdays and 2-6 ATS vs teams above .500. Thursday night home teams have gone an impressive 12-3 ATS and we won't jump off that trend here.

Posted : September 10, 2009 3:34 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dave Malinsky

4* Tennessee +6

Posted : September 10, 2009 3:34 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Apache

22 Tenn