Free Picks: Premium Service Plays for Tuesday, December 22,2009

59 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jay McNeil

15 Dime - BYU Basketball (minus points vs. Nevada)

Both of these teams score about 80 points apiece, but the Cougars are a lot better defensively, allowing 58.5 ppg compared to 74.4 for the Wolf Pack, and BYU has won five straight and is coming off of a 91-34 victory over Eastern Washington, a team Nevada struggled to beat 73-70 at home. With BYU's football team playing in the Las Vegas Bowl later today, the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas (which is hosting today's game) is going to have the feel of a Cougars home game, and the Wolf Pack is 2-8 ATS in their last 10 games.

5 Dime - BYU Football (plus points vs. Oregon State)

The Beavers had their sights on the Rose Bowl just three weeks ago, but had to settle for a trip to the Las Vegas Bowl, which has to be a letdown, while the Cougars had any BCS notions dashed early in the season, making this bowl game (which they are playing in for the fifth straight year) a welcome destination, especially since a vast majority of the crowd will be backing BYU. The Cougars went 10-2 with wins over Oklahoma and Utah while playing in maybe the most underrated football conference in the country, and beat UNLV 59-21 in October, while Oregon State barely edged the Rebels 23-21, and the Cougars had the 23rd-best run defense in the nation, which should make OSU a one-dimensional team on offense tonight.

Posted : December 22, 2009 4:43 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Joel Tyson

500♦ - Oregon State minus the points

Speed kills, and tonight BYU will find that out.

James and Quizz Rodgers will have a field day on this slow-footed BYU defense.

The Beavers have won ALL 5 bowl games under Mike Riley, and they have covered in 4 of those 5.

The Cougars are making their 5th straight appearence in the Las Vegas bowl, and they have failed in their last pair of bowl games against the Pac 10.

Oregon State will rebound from their Civl War loss, and take out some of their frustrations on the Cougars.

100♦ - Atlanta Hawks minus the points

Hawks started their current holiday road trip with an overtime loss at Chicago, and with a stop in Denver tomorrow night it is important the Hawks take care of business tonight against the 5-23 Timberwolves.

They will. Atlanta has won 6 in a row in this series, and 8 of the last 9, and they have also gone a lucrative 7-1-1 against the spread in those games.

Take the Hawks minus the wood.

100♦ - Texas A&M Aggies plus the points

Strange meeting between these schools, but with the Aggies owning a 4-1 road spread mark this season, and a 16-7 overall spread mark their last 23, I would think the points would work with the dog.

Washington is just 2-4 against the spread at home this season.

If the Huskies do manage to win this game, it won't be by the required impost.

Take A&M plus the points.

Posted : December 22, 2009 4:44 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Pete Angelo

600♦ BYU COUGARS -

Take the slim number and play the Cougars for the best value you can get. I see 2-1/2's everywhere, so be sure that's the least you're getting. If you want to put a piece on the moneyline, that's up to you. The Cougars are the de facto home team in this game, as they've played in this thing the past five seasons. They also visit Vegas often, given they play in the Mountain West Conference and play UNLV every season. Trust me when I tell you - Oregon State does not want to be here. I've had my nose to the grindstone all week, attending the bowl festivities that have taken place, and there is no excitement with this team whatsoever. The Cougars want revenge from last season's loss in this game to Arizona. They get it tonight with a huge winner.

Posted : December 22, 2009 4:45 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

WAYNE ROOT

Millionaire - BYU

Posted : December 22, 2009 4:47 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

C-Star Sports

5000 Units Eastern Michigan Minus the points over Samford
5000 Units BYU/Oregon State OVER THE TOTAL
1000 Units Tenn-Martin/Florida St. over the total
50 units BYU Plus the points over Oregon State

Posted : December 22, 2009 5:00 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Tim Trushel

Oregon State

Posted : December 22, 2009 5:23 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Street Rosenthal

*200 Philadelphia 76ers +2
*200 Chicago Bulls Over 201
*200 Golden State Warriors +7.5
*200 Oregon State -2.5

Trey Scott

*200 Texas -9
*200 Central Michigan +8
*300 Air Force -3

Posted : December 22, 2009 5:23 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

KELSO

5 Units BYU

5 Units BYU/OSU Under

Posted : December 22, 2009 5:24 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

ATS

4 Units UAB
4 Units Tex Tech
3 Units Wash St.

Posted : December 22, 2009 5:26 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dave Malinsky

6* North Carolina -13

Posted : December 22, 2009 5:38 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Joyce Sterling

10* BYU +2.5

Posted : December 22, 2009 5:39 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Coach K

2* Texas -9
2* UAB -1.5
2* Murray St +1
2* Nevada +7
2* W. Carolina +16
2* UAB/Butler Over 128.5

Posted : December 22, 2009 5:39 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Mark Meyers

5* OREGON ST -2.5

5* MINNESOTA +9
3* LA LAKERS -10

5* SAN JOSE +143

Posted : December 22, 2009 5:40 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Andrew Tills

3* San Jose/Chicago UNDER 5.5

Posted : December 22, 2009 5:41 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dwayne Bryant

Missouri State at Arkansas
Bet: Missouri State (pick'em)

The oddsmakers really messed up here. I use two sets of power ratings, and both sets have Missouri State as the stronger team with AT LEAST 165 teams between them! Arkansas has already lost to Louisville by 30 on a neutral court, and to Oklahoma by 20 on the road. And both sets of power ratings have this Missouri State club rated higher than UL and OU. Arkansas already owns home losses to the likes of Morgan State, East Tennessee State, and South Alabama -- all ranked WELL BELOW Missouri State. The Razorbacks do have a four-game winning streak, but they've been beating up on teams that, according to my rankings, are rated from 231st to 342nd out of 347 Division 1 teams.

This undefeated Missouri State team already owns an eight-point win over Tulsa, who my two sets of rankings have as the 19th and 23rd best team in Division 1. They're coming off a ten-point road win at St. Louis, which is a team I have ranked over 100 spots better than Arkansas. Missouri State has a slight height advantage and has proved to be the better rebounding team so far this season. They also are a MUCH better free-throw shooting team, hitting 73.8% compared to just 64.8% for Arkansas. Missouri State's adjusted offensive and defensive efficiency rankings are 49th and 62nd, respectively. That is much better than Arkansas, which ranks 158th and 256th in those key categories.

Bottom line: I've sliced and diced this game every which way, and I come up with a 10 to 14-point win for Missouri State. Getting them at a pick'em is a gift. Take Missouri State.

Posted : December 22, 2009 5:48 pm
Page 3 / 4
Share: