Utah

Posted : December 23, 2009 9:42 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

BRYAN LEONARD

California vs Utah
Pick: Utah +3.5

The Mountain West continues to be shortchanged in the public eye as the Utes have been installed as the underdog here. Despite the fact that they have won seven straight bowl games including three straight in the underdog role. We all well remember their dominance of Alabama this time last year, the same Tide team playing in this year's national championship game. Utah is traditionally a fantastic underdog cashing 18 of their last 23 in that role. They are 6-1 ATS catching points all-time in bowl action. Utah owns the better defense in this one as they have held nine of twelve opponents to 17 points or less. They should have solid defensive success considering Cal's offensive coordinator was at Utah the past four seasons. The Utes are very familiar with Andy Ludwig's attack and they have plenty of time to prepare. Utah also has a solid edge in the kicking game as the Utes always seem to find one of the country's best place kickers, Joe Phillips is 17 of 19 on the season.

California will be without their best offensive player as Javid Best remains out with an injury. The Cal offense really struggled this season in his absence. The quarterback situation which is normally a Bear's strength has been pedestrian at best. California struggled down the stretch and we really can't see this team being overly excited for this match-up. After all this was expected to be the season that California won the PAC 10 Conference.

Utah and the entire Mountain West Conference have an extra chip on their shoulders this time of year. They are not considered a BCS Conference despite being every bit as good as their western rival PAC 10 opponents. Utah is well coached, has the motivational edge and owns the better defense, a great underdog combination.

PLAY UTAH

Posted : December 23, 2009 11:09 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Daily Power Ratings

3* Utah +3

Posted : December 23, 2009 11:11 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

BRANDON LANG

15 DIME - UTAH UTES - Last year the MWC won every bowl game but BYU.

This year, make them a perfect 2-0 SU and ATS as Wyoming takes care of Fresno State and BYU stepped up and got it done last night.

Here come the Utah Utes.

The bottom line for me in this game is the fact that Utah has won 8 straight bowl games and they have won their last four 65.5 points over the spread. You start winning bowl games by that kind of margin and it is quite clear you are happy to be bowling.

Cal had Rose bowl aspirations. Preseason ranked. Heisman Trophy candidate running back in Best.

Season was a failure again as they lose to USC once again, get routed at Washington and Oregon, and for the most part are now in the same situation as Oregon last night. In a bowl game other than the Rose Bowl.

I made the mistake of going against the MWC last night, and I won't make that mistake again.

Until the MWC doesn't show up, I will gladly grab the points and call for them to step up and do exactly what they have done the last 8 years and that is win a bowl game.

15 DIME - NC CHARLOTTE 49ERS -Great spot for the UNCC to pull the upset.

They get ODU off a big upset win over Georgetown on Saturday, and now back home ODU is in your typical flat spot and asking them to lay this kind of number is just too much.

This is a UNCC team that has already won at Louisville and I don't care who you are, you start going on the road and winning at Louisville then that tells me you have some talent because the pressure defense of the Cardinals isn't an easy one to execute against.

I'm talking about a UNCC team that is 9-1 this year with their only loss at Duke, and has covered every game but 2.

They are a bit under the radar this year because they has 7 players injured last year but this year they are healthy.

Yes, this is an ODU team that is favored in the Colonial, but I just feel this game goes down to the wire and points will be at a premium.

15 DIME - SANTA CLARA BRONCOS -They are playing some basketball out west.

Fresh off their home win over Pacific as a 6 point underdog, Santa Clara gets to step right back up and face a San Jose State team that comes off a loss to Northern Colorado.

This is also a San Jose State team that has 2-4 on the road and struggling to find any real cohesiveness on the offensive end.

As for Santa Clara, their staple has been defense and they have been doing it on that side of the ball as evidenced by not only holding Pacific to 53 points after getting blown out in the first meeting 84-57.

You start holding teams to 53 points after they lit you up for 84 in the first meeting and that tells me your team is improving fast which is exactly the point as they have covered 4 of their last 5.

I am going to side with the hot home team against a struggling road team in a near pickem every single time.

FREE SELECTION - MIAMI-OHIO REDHAWKS

Posted : December 23, 2009 11:11 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

MR EAST

NBA WEDNESDAY PLAY OF THE DAY

WASHINGTON WIZARDS @ MILWAUKEE BUCKS
PLAY: 3 UNITS OVER 198.5

The Bucks have played a few low scoring games, which is holding the total down here. The bottomline is this is not a good defensive team, and the Wizards do one thing, they score. This game also fits a system that will be active here that has produced overs at the rate of 83% and has covered close to 70% of them by 7 points or more. I'll take the line value here as the Bucks appear defensive after a few low scoring games, but they are anything but. Over gets the call in this one.

Posted : December 23, 2009 11:13 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brett Atkins

20 Dime Bowl Money Maker - UTAH UTES

Just how good is the Mountain West Conference. We've already seen Wyoming go in and pull off the big upset of Fresno State and we've seen BYU wipe out favored Oregon State in the Las Vegas Bowl. Plus this is a Cal team that gave everything in the rivalry game with Stanford and then dumped at Washington the next week 42-10 as a 6 1/2-point favorite. Utah has won eight straight bowl games and will be making it nine tonight. Play the Utes.

10 Dime NBA Slam Dunk - SACRAMENTO KINGS

Classic look-ahead game for the Cavaliers as they are focused in on the Christmas Day game with the Lakers that is getting all the attention and national TV exposure. They already struggle with the Kings, failing to cash in four straight meetings with Sacramento. The Kings are 7-3 ATS in the last 10 and they have won two straight and four of six overall after getting a pair of road wins over Milwaukee and Chicago. Grab the points and play Sacramento tonight.

Posted : December 23, 2009 12:24 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Charley Sutton

200 Unit Utah
50 Unit Kentucky

Utah vs. California
UTAH - Of Utah’s three SU losses this season, two came against teams that will be playing in BCS bowl games. And of their three losses, two were by a touchdown or less. Coming into tonight’s Poinsettia Bowl the Utes have covered in 3 of their last 4 games and have covered in 2 of their last 3 games on the road. Cal, on the other hand, has been losing money all year long, covering in just 3 of their last 9 games, including only 2 of their last 5 games on the road. It’ll happen again tonight as Utah gets over.

Long Beach State at Kentucky
KENTUCKY - I’ve said it before that I think Kentucky may very well be the best team in the country. The Wildcats have jumped to a 12-0 start and are beating teams by nearly 18 points per game (81.8-64). At home, that number is even better where the Wildcats are beating opponents by more than 20 points per game (85.1-65). Coming into tonight’s game the Wildcats have covered in 3 of their last 4 games and they’ve had huge SU wins over North Carolina and UConn over the last two weeks. Now they battle a Long Beach State team that’s covered in just 1 of its last 3 games and got destroyed 107-74 the last time it played a ranked team (Dec. 7 at Texas). The 49ers will get hammered again today at Kentucky.

Posted : December 23, 2009 12:27 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chuck O'Brien

15 DIME: UTAH (plus the points vs. Cal in the Poinsettia Bowl)

NOTE: With this number sitting at a solid 3, go ahead and buy the half-point and grab +3 1/2 with Utah. That way, if Cal wins by a field goal, we still collect.

BREAKDOWN: It’s easy to surmise that Utah, one year removed from pummeling Alabama in the Sugar Bowl to end a perfect season, would be less than enthused to be playing in the Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego before Christmas. In reality, Cal is the team that’s disappointed to be here. The Bears were expected to challenge for the Pac-10 championship this year, but back-to-back disastrous losses to Oregon and USC – by the combined score of 72-6! – ended those dreams. Then the Bears limped to the finish line, losing two of their final four games, including a 42-10 loss at Washington as a 6½-point road favorite to end the regular season. Cal completely quit in that game, and because of that, I doubt they’ll play with much energy tonight. … Despite losing a lot of key players from last year’s team, Utah went 9-3 this year, and all three losses were to very good teams (BYU, TCU and Oregon) and all three were on the road. … Utah owns the nation’s longest bowl winning streak (eight in a row), and it has cashed in six of its last seven bowl games. The Utes are also 26-12-1 ATS in their last 39 out-of-conference games, 26-7-1 ATS in their last 34 as an underdog and 6-1 ATS in their last seven when catching three points or less. Meanwhile, Cal has failed to cover in four of its last five as a favorite and 13 of 16 when giving away three points or less.

Posted : December 23, 2009 12:28 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jay McNeil

20 Dime - Utah

The Utes have lost just three games this year -- to Oregon, TCU and BYU, all teams that could finish the season ranked in the top 10 -- are 26-7-1 in their last 34 games as an underdog and have won eight straight bowl games, the longest streak in the nation, going 6-1 ATS in their last seven. The Golden Bears have not been as potent on offense since running back Jahvid Best went down with a concussion, they lost 42-10 at Washington in their last game on Dec. 5 and Utah has a strong defense that has not allowed more than 17 points against any team other than Oregon, TCU and BYU.

5 Dime - Harvard

Do-it-all star guard Jeremy Lin has helped Harvard jump out to a 7-2 start, with the Crimson already winning at Boston College and playing Connecticut tough in a 79-73 loss, and the Hoyas are 0-2 ATS at home this season and face a tough defensive squad today. Harvard is on ATS runs of 7-0 as an underdog, 6-0 as a road 'dog, 6-1 on the road and 9-2 overall, while Georgetown is on ATS slides of 1-8 at home, 1-7 as a home favorite, 4-11 as a favorite and 7-17-1 overall.

Posted : December 23, 2009 12:29 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Joel Tyson

500♦ - Cal Golden Bear minus the points

I know the Mountain West handled the Pac 10 last night, but if you ask me Oregon State let that 40 mph wind get to them, and that is what really beat the Beavers last night.

Anyway, this is not the same Utah team that went undefeated last season, including their 8th straight bowl win in a shocker over Alabama.

No, the Utes will have a true frosh under center, and while Utah plays solid, no-nonsense football, I prefer the big-play capabilty of the Golden Bears in this one, as California does have a 5 game bowl win streak of their own to hang their hat on.

Junior QB Kevin Riley is ready to take that next step and lead the Bears to their 6th straight bowl win.

Go with Cal.

100♦ - Orlando Magic minus the points

Orlando was resting at home last night, while Houston played in a home win over the LA Clippers.

Tonight marks the Rockets 4th game in 6 nights, and on the road I expect them to lose touch with Orlando.

Orlando is looking to snap a 3 game series losing streak both straight up, and against the spread, and tonight the schedule is greatly in their favor.

Magic pull away late for the cover.

100♦ - Ole Miss Rebels

Rebs catching a bunch here, and I like them plus the points to cover in Morgantown.

These schools did play last December in Oxford, West Va hanging on for a 2 point win as the 2 1/2 point road favorite.

Not sure Ole Miss is going to get their revenge, but they will be there plus the generous impost, as the Mounties record this year has been padded with some easy early season matchups. This figures to be West Virginia's toughest test to date.

Take the points.

Posted : December 23, 2009 12:29 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Pete Angelo

200♦ UTAH UTES - Another slim number to take advantage of, as I am playing the underdog in this one. Last night I told you that you could put a piece on the moneyline, that it was entirely up to you. Tonight JUST TAKE THE POINTS, as the line you should be looking for is 3-1/2 points.

Down the final stretch of the 2009 campaign, following a six-game win streak, Utah lost to both TCU (55-28) and BYU (26-23 in OT) in Mountain West Conference play to finish 9-3 overall and 6-2 in conference play. Normally I'd be a little skeptical about the Utes tonight, as it's apparent superior competition has had its way with them.

But the remaining players from last year will lend experience. Remember, the Utes scored a 31-17 upset win over Alabama in last year's Sugar Bowl. That marked a national-best eighth straight postseason victory and pushed the team to 11-4 in bowl opportunities dating back to the 1939 Sun Bowl.

I will take my chances with another Mountain West team against the overrated Pac 10.

Posted : December 23, 2009 12:30 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Anthony Redd

60 Dime Cal

Posted : December 23, 2009 12:42 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Wayne Root

Vegas Legend - California

6* Charlotte +7½ over Old Dominion

Posted : December 23, 2009 1:22 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

MARK FOX

Utah at California
Play: Utah +3

Utah is 26-7-1 ATS their last 34 games as an underdog and they are 26-12-1 ATS their last 39 Non-Conference games. The Utes are 29-14-1 ATS their last 44 games off an ATS win and they are 6-1 ATS the last 7 Bowl Games. California is 3-13 ATS their last 16 games as favorites of 0.5 to 3.0 points and they are 3-7 ATS their last 10 December games. The Golden Bears are 2-5 ATS their last 7 games after allowing more than 450 yards in their last game and they are 1-4 ATS their last 5 games as favorites. 10* PLAY ON UTAH +

Posted : December 23, 2009 1:25 pm
Page 1 / 4
Share: