0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Black WidowFOR THE LARGEST SELECTION OF FREE SERVlCE PLAYS VlSlT THESPREAD.COM
FOR THE LARGEST SELECTION OF FREE SERVlCE PLAYS VlSlT THESPREAD.COM
1* on North Carolina Tar Heels -7
Plays on favorites 3.5 to 9.5 points (N CAROLINA) - an explosive offensive team (>=78 PPG) against an average offensive team (67-74 PPG), after scoring 80 points or more 2 straight games are 74-31 (70.5%) ATS over the last 5 seasons. The Tar Heels are finally starting to play up to their potential. North Carolina is 4-0 SU & 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games, and 9-1 in their last 10 games overall. This team is hitting its stride and we'll ride them to another blowout victory Sunday. UNC is 9-1 at home this season, winning by 13.1 points/game. Florida State is 4-17 ATS (-14.7 Units) after having won 5 or 6 of their last 7 games over the last 2 seasons. The Tar Heels are 7-0 ATS (+7.0 Units) after 2 consecutive covers as a favorite over the last 3 seasons. The Seminoles are 1-10 ATS (-10.0 Units) versus very good teams - outscoring their opponents by 8+ points/game after 15+ games over the last 2 seasons. Take North Carolina and lay the points.

Posted : February 6, 2011 7:51 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dan BebeFOR THE LARGEST SELECTION OF FREE SERVlCE PLAYS VlSlT THESPREAD.COM
Miami Heat -11.5FOR THE LARGEST SELECTION OF FREE SERVlCE PLAYS VlSlT THESPREAD.COM
Miami is on revenge from a loss to the Clippers in LA, and LeBron and D-Wade are going to want to show Blake Griffin that he's not quite ready for the big dogs just yet.
The Clippers are getting a ton of credit, but their road efforts remain relatively poor, and despite a close loss to the Hawks (a supremely inconsistent bunch that neglects defense for long stretches), I'm still not sold on the Clippers play away from home.
This is a huge test, and I don't see them shooting 50% against Miami again.
Heat cover this number, which looks high for a reason.

Posted : February 6, 2011 7:52 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Tom FreeseFOR THE LARGEST SELECTION OF FREE SERVlCE PLAYS VlSlT THESPREAD.COM
Orlando Magic at Boston Celtics
Prediction: Boston Celtics
Orlando is 32-19 straight up this year. The Magic is 3-12-1 ATS their last 16 road games vs. a team with a home win percentage of over 60%. The Magic are 1-8 ATS their last 9 road games as underdogs of 0.5 to 4.5 points. The Magic are 1-5-1 ATS their last 7 games as road dogs. Boston is 37-12 straight up this year. The Celtics are 21-8 ATS their last 29 games off a straight up loss. The Celtics are 19-7 ATS after allowing 100 or more points in their last game. Boston is 4-0 ATS on Sunday. The Celtics are 4-1-1 ATS their last 6 games of an ATS loss.

Posted : February 6, 2011 8:24 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Sam MartinFOR THE LARGEST SELECTION OF FREE SERVlCE PLAYS VlSlT THESPREAD.COM
LA Clippers at Miami Heat
Play: LA ClippersFOR THE LARGEST SELECTION OF FREE SERVlCE PLAYS VlSlT THESPREAD.COM
Just too many points for Miami to be laying here as they are big double-digit favorite here at home against the Clippers despite being in a big letdown spot after beating rival Orlando on Thursday and then winning in Charlotte on no rest on Friday. Here they start a stretch of three games against weak opponents before another big showdown in Boston looming up ahead, and this Clippers team is building confidence and can stay close here today. LA beat this Miami team a few weeks ago back at the Staples Center, and while it would be foolish to predict an outright win, we don't see the Heat winning in a blowout here.

Posted : February 6, 2011 9:44 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

VEGAS EXPERTSFOR THE LARGEST SELECTION OF FREE SERVlCE PLAYS VlSlT THESPREAD.COM
Michigan State at Wisconsin
The Spartans have been an "outright" disaster this season, losing an incredible six times SU when favored, but today they are a big dog in Madison and we'll take the points. This game is way too big for MSU, losers of 8 in a row ATS, to get blown out and Wisky is also off a very tough victory over Purdue. Take the points.
Play on: Michigan State

Posted : February 6, 2011 9:45 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Scott RickenbachFOR THE LARGEST SELECTION OF FREE SERVlCE PLAYS VlSlT THESPREAD.COM
Michigan @ Penn State
PICK: Penn State -4
The line on this one has dropped as bettors are overemphasizing the fact that forward Jeff Brooks is out with a shoulder injury. Certainly that is a loss that is not the easiest to overcome but note that his expected absence was already factored into the line on this one. The fact is that the Nittany Lions have been getting very solid play from the rest of their starting five: Talor Battle, David Jackson, Andrew Jones, and Tim Frazier. While the Penn State depth has been a question mark all season, let's not forget that the Nittany Lions have been off since Feb 1st and they don't play again until the 10th. In other words, they can "leave it all on the floor" this afternoon and we fully expect a huge effort from Penn State on their home floor.
As a result of the favorable scheduling situation you will see the Lions four key players all playing tons of minutes in this one and they can handle it. Yes, they are down a key producer but the bench will fill in admirably for that one missing link and the Wolverines aren't going to shoot 57% from the floor like they did in their home win over Penn State last month. Keep in mind, it's much tougher to knock down shots on the road compared to at home and Michigan relies heavily on the outside shooting of their guards. Look for Penn State to improve to a perfect 4-0 ATS this season when revenging a road loss versus an opponent. Look for the Wolverines to see their long-term ATS record on the road to drop to 61-82 as we see the Nittany Lions winning this one by a comfortable margin. Consider a small play on Penn State minus the points in early afternoon Super Bowl Sunday action.

Posted : February 6, 2011 9:46 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Tom StrykerFOR THE LARGEST SELECTION OF FREE SERVlCE PLAYS VlSlT THESPREAD.COM
Florida State @ North Carolina
PICK: North Carolina -7
North Carolina is cooking right now off four consecutive wins and covers over Clemson, Miami, NC State and Boston College and the Tar Heels won't even think about easing up here. Florida State knocked UNC out of the ACC Tournament two years ago and handed the Tar Heels another 77-67 loss on this very same floor as a two-point underdog last season.
The Seminoles have struggled on foreign courts going into momentum and this appears to be the ideal spot to fade Florida State too. As a guest battling an opponent that checks in off a blowout win of 10 points or more, FSU is a soft 27-44-2 ATS including 13-27-2 ATS in this role running with four or more days rest. Please note: That last tightener is on a dismal 7-19-2 ATS run.
Historically, UNC has been tough to beat when it's playing well. According to my college basketball database, the Tar Heels are a profitable 34-20 ATS at home with momentum coming off two or more SU and ATS wins including 30-12 ATS in this role sporting a won/loss percentage less than .930.
Florida State steamrolled Wake Forest 85-61 in its last ACC battle. This trip to Chapel Hill will be a tough encore. The 'Noles are just 7-17-1 ATS priced as a single-digit conference dog coming off a SU and ATS victory and they're going up against a Tar Heels group that is clicking on all cylinders. Take North Carolina.

Posted : February 6, 2011 9:47 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Michael Alexander

Ohio State vs. Minnesota
Play: Ohio State -5

OHIO ST is 93-64 ATS (+22.6 Units) when playing against a good team (Win Pct. 60% to 80%) since 1997.

MINNESOTA is 3-11 ATS (-9.1 Units) versus very good shooting teams - making >=48% of their shots over the last 3 seasons

MINNESOTA is 0-6 ATS (-6.6 Units) in home games after playing a game as favorite this season

Posted : February 6, 2011 10:33 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Info Plays

3* North Carolina -7

Reasons why North Carolina will cover:

1) This is a different Tar Heels team than the one we saw earlier this season, and I think winning at home against a good Florida State team will be no problem. North Carolina is 22-6 ATS in their last 28 games as a home favorite of 7.0-12.5.

2) Florida State is 1-10 ATS versus very good teams - outscoring their opponents by 8+ points/game after 15+ games over the last 2 seasons.

3) North Carolina is 7-3 ATS in their last 10 home games vs. a team with a road winning % of greater than .600.

Posted : February 6, 2011 10:33 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

SPORTS WAGERS

New Jersey +141 over MONTREAL

The Canadiens continue to win games at a pace that they shouldn’t be because they don’t belong in the same group as the other upper echelon teams. Nonetheless, there they are with the seventh best record in the league but don’t be surprised to see them meet a lot more resistance in the final 11 weeks of the season. Almost every game the Habs play is a close one. They win a lot of OT games and they win a lot of games with a late goal in the third. Give them credit for winning those games and for being a gritty bunch that wins that way but they’re simply too risky as a significant favorite when the opposition is always in the game. The Devils are playing like the Devils of yesteryear. They lost 5-1 to Montreal back in New Jersey on Dec 10 but that’s when they hit rock bottom. The Devils have had more success in Montreal than most teams, as they’ve won four of the last five times they’ve played at the Bell Center and they offer up some more value this afternoon. Play: New Jersey +141 (Risking 2 units).

Posted : February 6, 2011 10:34 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

SPORTS WAGERS

Philadelphia +4½/+171 over NEW YORK

These two played in Philly on Friday night and the 76ers needed some fourth quarter magic to win by a deuce. The thinking is that now that the game is in New York the Knicks should beat them but we’re not buying that argument for a second. Despite the worse record, Philly is the better team here in just about every category. Defensively, they’re a lot better, on the boards they’re better and offensively the Knicks have nothing on them whatsoever. If the 76ers were a –3½-point favorite in Philly, there is no way the Knicks should be a higher favorite at MSG. It should actually be the other way around. In any case, the 76ers have won both meetings this season and there’s no reason they can’t make it three, as they’re not only the better team but they’re the much warmer team with six wins in seven games while the Knicks have just three wins in their last 12 games. 76ers outright. Play: Philadelphia –4½ +100 (Risking 1 unit). Play: Philadelphia +171 (Risking 1 unit).

Posted : February 6, 2011 10:34 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Karl Garrett

Pittsburgh vs. GREEN BAY

As for the free play today in the game, I like the Over to be the way to go.

Here we have an indoor stadium that has played very "fast" since its inception, as all 8 of the Cowboys home games this year on the field went Over the posted total.

Both defenses are as staunch as they come, but that also means that both defenses are capable of making big plays that will help lead to some short fields, and some quick scores by the offenses.

Finally, 6 of the last 8 Super Bowls have exceeded 44 total points, and after the fireworks these teams combined for in last year's regular season meeting I just see the teams doing enough offensively to eclipse this total.

G-Man playing the High in this game this year!

3♦ OVER

Craig Davis

Pittsburgh vs. Green Bay

Today's free play is on Pittsburgh/Green Bay to go UNDER the posted total.

Why do I keep hearing about these offenses or the shootout these two played in last year (37-36 final)? Do we really think that either of these offenses is going to be able to do what they did in the playoffs? Offense is much easier in the playoffs than it is in the Super Bowl. Just ask the Patriots a few years back? Just ask the Colts last year.

When these teams have two weeks to prepare, good defenses always shine.

I'm not saying point aren't scored and can't be scored, but when you have the top two defenses in the league and one mediocre offense, it's tough to not think this thing is going under.

Pittsburgh's run defense ranks first in the NFL and have the second-best scoring defense in the league. Considering Green Bay is quite one-dimensional with a very good passing offense but the 24th ranked rush offense they have will struggle.

But Pittsburgh doesn't get off that easy. They have a very basic offense that's ranked 15th overall in the NFL. And they are a run-first offense, meaning they want to grind it out and keep the clock going.... which is always good for an UNDER play.

A good running game will also keep the ball out of Aaron Rodgers hands... and that's a good thing as well.

Defenses will rule the roost tonight, as I see this game somewhere in the neighborhood of 21-17.

3♦ UNDER

Chris Jordan

Pittsburgh vs. Green Bay

We're going to have some fun with the free pick(s) today in the big game, as I am going to give you 15 Prop Bets to do with what you like.

National Anthem
Just as I was quoted in Friday's edition of the Las Vegas Review Journal, I am taking my girl Christina Aguilera to stay under the 1:54 with her rendition of the Star Spangled Banner. She can hold her notes, no doubt about it, but she's been a lot more mature in her latest appearances, such as last year's rendition in the NBA Finals which was at 1:51. I think she will come out, get through it, and no added antics at the end, like she once did at an All-Star game.
1♦ UNDER National Anthem

Will there be one scoreless quarter
Why not take a shot at +250? Honestly, this can still be a high-scoring game, and there be no points in the second quarter. It's worth a shot when you're talking about the No. 1 team and No. 2 team in defensive scoring this past season. The Steelers allowed an average of 14.5 points per game, the Packers allowed an average of 15 points per game. Granted, these offenses will get going at some point, and fireworks will be sparked, but this is a value play.
1♦ SCORELESS QUARTER - Yes

Brandon Jackson Rushing Attempts
Why not give it to the kid today? A total of 4 rushing attempts - the line is 3, and I like it over - is all we need. Well, Aaron Rodgers cannot pass all damn day, and he has to give the pill to someone. And hello, Green Bay ranks fourth in the postseason in rushing with 118 yards per game, much in part because James Starks leads all rushers with his 87.7 yards per game. And even though Jackson only averaged 2 rushing attempts per game during the postseason, he'll be needed much more, with the Steelers keying in on Starks.
1♦ JACKSON RUSH ATTEMPTS - Over

Troy Polamalu Interception
Going to play the YES with this proposition, as the most electrifying defensive player on the field today will be Polamalu. He's never in the same spot, he's hard to track, and in the blink of an Aaron Rodgers eye, he can disappear and be where you least expect him. I think Polamalu is making it a point to pick at least one pass today, and is worth the value at +220.
2♦ POLAMALU INT - Yes

Charles Woodson Interception
Going to play the YES with this proposition, as the second-most electrifying defensive player on the field today will be Woodson. He's can play in a three-cornerback defensive set that Dom Capers brainstormed, and be an effective roaming safety. He, too, is hard to track, and can also disappear and be in the right spot at the right time. I think Woodson is a great value at +300 at YES.
2♦ WOODSON INT - Yes

Player to score first
I am siding with Heath Miller for the Steelers and Aaron Rodgers for the Packers - both at 12-to-1. If the Steelers get down close to the goal line, the Packers will expect a plow through the middle of the trenches. I think Big Ben might just roll out and find his trusty steed for a quick dunk-and-dink. If the Packers get in position to score first, don't be surprised if Rodgers is the man taking it in solo for the Pack.
2♦ HEATH MILLER to score first
2♦ AARON RODGERS to score first

Ben Roethlisberger Rushing Yards
He took a shot to the jaw. He played with a broken nose. He's endured more punishment than you can shake a stick at, and you're asking him to gain 13 1/2 yards? Really? I'll take the Over in this one, as Big Ben might get this on one rushing attempt alone. He's a bruiser and isn't afraid to go heads up with Clay Matthews if need be. I like this one and think the total yards could go over.
2♦ ROETHLISBERGER RUSHING YDS - Over

Aaron Rodgers Passing Yards
And while I like the Over in Big Ben's rushing department, I have to side with the Over in Rodgers' passing game. Why not? The only way to the Lombardi Trophy is through the air, and the advantage the Packers have in this game is with three very dynamic receivers and the better overall passing game. Thus, you have to believe Rodgers will go Over 275 1/2 yards with his passing game. Don't be surprised to see him throw for more than 300 yards today.
3♦ RODGERS PASSING YDS - Over

Sacks By BJ Raji
I'm going to play the Over in this one. The line is 1/2 a sack and the Over is +145. Later in this report you will see I like the Over in the Total sacks by the Pack. I looked at the line on Clay Matthews, and over the 1/2 sack is -180. But the Steelers' offensive line could be focused on Matthews, which might leave a lane open up for Raji much more often. This is pure value as he only needs to record one sack to get the money.
2♦ SACKS BY BJ RAJI - Over

Defensive/Special Teams Touchdown
We're talking about two of the most athletic secondaries in the league and the YES in this prop is about +135? I'll take that for sure. There's never a time you don't have a chance at hitting a prop like this, when the Steelers are involved. Add in the Charles Woodson factor on the Packers side, and a pick-six is not out of the question. As for the Special Teams, if we get it this way, it'll likely be the Steelers, who had the better return unit.
3♦ DEFENSIVE/SPECIAL TEAMS TD - Yes

Total Sacks by Packers
I'm going Over the 2 1/2 in this one, and I'll gladly lay the -145 to do so. I mean really, the Steelers have a backup center and Big Ben isn't afraid to get hit. He'll tuck it and take a sack, and come back and burn you on the next play. The Steelers and Packers led the league in sacks, respectively. Now why not take the Steelers over? Well, that line is 3 flat, +150. That means the Steelers need to sack Aaron Rodgers 4 times. Not sure there. But the Pack will get to Roethlisberger at least three times.
4♦ SACKS BY PACKERS - Over 2 1/2

Heath Miller One Touchdown
I'm taking YES at +220. If I like this guy to score the first touchdown for the Steelers, why wouldn't I take him at +220 to score at least one at some point during the game? He is a vital part of the offense for Big Ben, whenever he will be under pressure. To repeat, Big Ben is going to be rolling out to look for his trusty steed for quick dunk-and-dink passes throughout this game, especially near the goal line.
4♦ HEATH MILLER TD - Yes

Mike Wallace Receptions
I'm going Over the 3 1/2 receptions in this one, as this kid might be the fastest player on either roster. And though Hines Ward is the veteran who's been there for the previous two Super Bowl wins for the Steelers, I like this young kid to be there for Big Ben on plenty of down-and-out routes, or quick slants. He's got great hands, and he can move like a gazelle. Those factors alone will make him a favorite target of Roethlisberger's. Play this one Over.
5♦ WALLACE RECEPTIONS - Over 3 1/2

Heath Miller Receptions
I'm going Over the 3 1/2 receptions in this one, at EVEN Money. Just read my previous analysis on this guy's other props. It all comes down to the same things for Ben Roethlisberger. Miller will be the most valuable player to the Steelers today, in my opinion.
5♦ MILLER RECEPTIONS - Over 3 1/2

Posted : February 6, 2011 11:02 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bobby Maxwell

Philadelphia at NEW YORK (-4')

For my comp winner, this is a classic revenge play for the Knicks who just lost in Philly on Friday night, 100-98, blowing a big lead in the fourth quarter. Look for New York to respond in a big way today and get the easy win and cover.

New York led 82-73 entering the fourth quarter on Friday night and got complacent. This high-scoring team managed just 16 points in the final quarter and shot just 40.2 percent from the floor for the game. They also couldn’t stop Sixers’ forward Elton Brand who turned back the clock for a 33-point, 16-rebound performance, the first 30-point game he’s had in the last three years.

The Knicks got a so-so performance from Amare Stoudemire on Friday as he had 21 points but missed 12 of his 19 shots.

New York is on several positive ATS streaks, including 17-8 after a spread-cover, which they got on Friday as 4 ½ points underdogs, 4-1 against the Eastern Conference, 4-0-1 after a straight-up loss and 4-1 against the Atlantic Division.

Philadelphia is making some strides in the division, winning six of its last seven overall, but look for a big home win from the Knicks today. Go ahead and lay the points with New York.

5♦ NEW YORK

Stephen Nover

Philadelphia at N.Y. KNICKS (-4')

Philadelphia continues to play well winning six of its last seven games. Not one of the 76ers' last seven opponents has been able to break the 100-point barrier against them.

Expect that to change, though, when the 76ers travel to Madison Square Garden to take on the Knicks in an early Sunday game.

Revenge can mean something in the pros, especially when it's a short turnaround. The 76ers nipped the Knicks, 100-98, on Friday night at home.

New York blew an 82-73 lead. It was the Knicks' sixth straight road loss.

However, the Knicks are 3-1 in their last four home contests, including defeating Miami by five.

The Knicks should have beaten the 76ers even though they made just 40.2 percent of their shots from the floor, hitting less than 30 percent from 3-point range.

The 76ers made 47 percent of their shots from the floor and only missed one free throw in 18 attempts.

The Knicks had a solid 48-41 rebounding edge. They just couldn't hit their shots. The Knicks are the No. 2 scoring team in the league. Normally they shoot better than 45 percent from the field. Expect a different outcome in the rematch.

2♦ N.Y. KNICKS

Derek Mancini

Philadelphia (+4') at NY KNICKS

A couple thing standout to me in this contest, but the first of which is how these two teams are headed in opposite directions right now. Knicks are in a tailspin, going 3-9 over their L12, including their loss to the 76ers Friday. The Sixers meanwhile, have won 6 of their L7 games SU (and 7-2 ATS L9). Clearly, Philly is playing better basketball right now.

They'll cover today for the same reasons they won (but didn't cover) on Friday. Iguodala was fantastic against Gallinari, and the Sixers bigmen stifled Amare, holding him to 21 points on 7 of 19 shooting. Elton Brand has his best game of the season against New York's weak-ass defense (33 points and 16 boards), and Iguodala also chipped in 18 points and 16 assists! Philly simply matches up well with the Knicks, and that won't change this afternoon.

Finally, if any trend stands out, its the fact the road team is 8-1 ATS over their L9 meetings. These two teams usually play it close, and having just seen each other, you can expect another competitive contest this afternoon. Coupled with the Sixers match up edges, and the Knicks recent piss-poor play, look for the Sixers to inch closer to their division rival this afternoon. Take Philadelphia plus the points over the NY Knicks Sunday.

2♦ PHILADELPHIA

Chuck O'Brien

L.A. Clippers at MIAMI (-11')

Now onto Sunday’s complimentary NBA selection, as I’ll take the Heat minus the points against the Clippers.

First off, this is a big payback game for Miami, which went to L.A. on Jan. 12 and lost 111-105 to the Clippers as a seven-point chalk, snapping the team’s XX-game road winning streak. So you know LeBron, Wade and Co. are going to be fired up for this one.

Secondly, while the Heat are surging (five straight wins, four straight covers), the Clippers have hit a wall, dropping two in a row, four of six and five of eight, including four consecutive road loss (1-3 ATS). In fact, L.A. is just 3-16 on the highway this season, losing the last five in a row (1-4 ATS). Not only that, but this is the second game of a brutal 10-game road trip (not including an 11th “road” game against the Lakers on Feb. 25). How brutal have the schedule-makers been to the Clippers? They play just one true home game the rest of the month – and it’s against the Celtics one day after facing the Lakers! – and just three true home games between now and March 16!

The Heat’s offense is in high gear right now (109, 104, 117, 108 points last four games), while L.A. has been touched up for triple digits in nine of the last 13 games. Also, in their last two visits to South Beach, the Clippers got clocked 119-95 and 108-97, and need I remind you that Miami didn’t have a dude named LeBron James in those two contests!

In all, the home team is on a 5-0 SU and ATS roll in this rivalry. Finally, the Heat have cashed in five straight Sunday contests and are 34-15-2 ATS in their last 51 against the Pacific Division, while L.A. has failed to cash in 10 of its last 13 on Sunday. Throw in an early tip-off (which hurts the West Coast team) and this has 15-point rout written all over it.

4♦ MIAMI

Posted : February 6, 2011 11:03 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Joel Tyson

Michigan at PENN STATE (-4')

As for your Sunday comp play, going to lay the points with Penn State as they are back home in Happy Valley where they have reeled off 4 straight Big 10 wins and covers, and do sport an impressive 6-3-1 overall home spread mark in lined home dates this year.

Michigan did win and cover the first meeting between the schools earlier this year, as the home team in the series improved to 9-2-1 against the spread the last 12 times these teams have tangled.

Also note that the favorite in the series is a solid 12-3-1 against the spread the last 16 series meetings.

With the Wolverines laboring on the road - just 2-6 straight up away from Ann Arbor - I will go ahead and look for the home team to once again record the win and the cover.

Take the Lions today minus the points.

5♦ PENN STATE

Scott Delaney

Ohio State (-5') at MINNESOTA

Looking for the respect Tubby Smith has, outside of Lexington years later, and up at Williams Arena in downtown Minneapolis?

Check the line in this game.

It's not because the Golden Gophers are going to threaten the Buckeyes in this Big 10 tilt. It's not because Ohio State is slipping, as the undefeated, top-ranked team in the country.

It's because of Tubby.

Unfortunately, he's not suiting up for this game - the Gophers are. And they're not going to be able to hang with the Buckeyes today, in this prelude to the Super Bowl.

I know the Gophers contend with a stingy defense, but they haven't faced a team like the Buckeyes, who score in bunches and force turnovers with a tenacious defense of their own, especially on the perimeter. And that will put a damper on Minnesota's effort, since it struggled mightily on the offensive end.

The Buckeyes know better than to take this team lightly, as they went up by 18 in the second half in the first meeting down in Columbus, but Tubby's boys came storming back and lost by just three.

Look for the Buckeyes to hold tight in this one, and win and cover.

3♦ OHIO STATE

Michael Cannon

Florida State (+7) at NORTH CAROLINA

Take the points with Florida State on the road over North Carolina as your free Super Bowl Sunday winner.

The Tarheels have been playing great, but they were blindsided by the abrupt departure of point guard Larry Drew II.

Drew left the team Friday, four games after he lost his starting job to freshman Kendall Marshall. This is a big blow to North Carolina because Drew was actually playing very well off the bench.

Now the Tarheels have to contend with a Florida State team that already owns a win over then No.1-ranked Duke. The Seminoles have also won two straight over North Carolina, so you know this is going to be a tough number for the Tarheels to cover, if they even win.

Florida State has the nation’s best defense at holding the opposition to 35.5 percent shooting from the field.

I like the points in this one.

Take Florida State plus the number.

3♦ FLORIDA STATE

Posted : February 6, 2011 11:05 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Matt Rivers

Boston Celtics -4.5

Reasoning: The Magic are still a very good NBA team, but they have struggled a lot of times this season and are not as well rounded as the Celtics. Pretty much overall, Stan Van’s boys are just not nearly as good right now and have regressed a little bit when compared to the last few seasons.

Dwight Howard is obviously a superstar and a guy who will dominate inside, but with Kendrick Perkins back and with Shaq in Celtic green there are at least some big bodies on the C’s that will bang and use up their allotted fouls if necessary. To be able to get Rondo, Pierce, Allen, Garnett and the rest of Doc’s squad at home and only lay a handful is more than enough for me.

It’s not like this Orlando team has exactly rounded into shape after the trades. They did look a little better at one point after the sluggish start with Richardson, Turkoglu and others, but they haven’t been very magical of late after dropping three of their last five games.

Orlando has been beating up the bad teams like Washington, Cleveland, Toronto and Indiana, but every time they have had to step it up against major competition, they have not been able to do so. The final score may have said four the other day, but if you watched the game you saw how LeBron and the Heat were the much better team and that game was in Orlando.

The Magic also just lost at Memphis and at Chicago. Something is a little off with this team, whether it be the lack of size, the new pieces not fully fitting or just the team getting a little worse, I don’t fully know. But until they play better in a spot like this, I am glad to lay a few points with quite possibly the best team in the entire NBA in the Celtics.

Over the last few seasons and the other day at in Los Angeles this Boston squad has been able to raise their game and play big. Today will be another example of just that.

Posted : February 6, 2011 11:07 am
Page 2 / 3
Share: