40 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Joel Tyson

Denver vs. SAN FRANCISCO at London

London calling...and who really cares, as both the Broncos and 49ers enter this game with some ugly football having been played for both teams through the first seven weeks.

Perhaps the best way to go in this game is over the total, as Denver is a whopping 11-1 over the total their last 12 games dating back to last season, including 7 straight away overs their last 7 road games!

The 49ers have also been landing on the up side of late, as 4 of their last 6 games have made their way into the over column.

With not a lot to play for for either team, look for both teams to air it out in this one as they try to give the English fans some offense to at least cheer about.

Broncos-Niners to go over the total on Week 8 of the season.

2♦ OVER

Karl Garrett

Jacksonville at DALLAS

Dallas will have to go it without Tony Romo, and while that may initially set them back on offense, the way their defense has been playing this year, I don't see this Jaguars-Cowboys game being a 10-7 defensive slugfest.

On the contrary, I think we are going to see the points just pile up in Arlington this afternoon, as Jacksonville enters this game having allowed 26-points or more in each of their last 6 games, while Dallas has allowed 24-points or more in 4 of their 6 contests this season.

Jacksonville has played 3 road games this season, and ALL 3 have cleared the posted total, while ALL 3 of Dallas' home games this season have also cleared the posted total.

With both teams struggling along this year, look for them to play it fast-and-loose, and look for the points to add up.

G-Man going over the total between the Jags and the 'Pokes this Sunday afternoon.

3♦ OVER

Derek Mancini

Jacksonville at DALLAS (-6')

Dallas couldn't have asked for a better match up, on a short week, coming off a devastating loss, including an injury to Romo. The Jaguars "swiss cheese" like defense will be tested early and often by a Cowboys run game that's desperate for production. Look for the Felix Jones/Marion Barber combo to run wild today, as the Jaguars surrender a ridiculous 165 rushing yards/game on the road this season (on 5.3 yards/carry)!

This is the best news for John Kitna, the strong armed veteran, who takes the reins of this talented Cowboys offense this afternoon. He doesn't have the same "gunslinger" approach that Romo has (which some would argue is a good thing), but he does have the arm, and proved his effectiveness last week with a nice TD pass to Bryant. As long as the Cowboys are running effectively, Kitna can play the part of "game manager," en route to the solid win and cover.

Every week the media touts how the current week's game is a "must-win" for the slow starting Cowboys. Well, this time I agree... There's no question the Cowboys cannot afford to lose this game. All reports are positive thus far, in that, the team is rallying around Kitna, and still believes they have the talent to win. However, a loss to the lowly Jaguars and they'll have a full-blown mutiny on their hands. My point is, this is the most critical game of the season for Wade Phillips and 'Boys, as a win here could be perceived as a rallying cry, but a loss would basically wave the white flag. Look for Dallas to respond. Lay the points with the Cowboys over the Jaguars Sunday.

2♦ DALLAS

Chris Jordan
Washington (+3') at DETROIT

I read somewhere that since the Lions beat this team last season, are improved this year, that this is a gimme. I laugh at that notion, as the Redskins, too, are entirely different team and a much better one at that.

Hey, I know quarterback Donovan McNabb's numbers are down a bit as he's been learning a new system and tweaking mechanics to fit into Mike Shanahan's scheme. But if there's one thing I've been witnessing, it's McNabb's consistent will to win. The same will he had in Philly, he's brought to D.C.

His quarterback rating of 76.0 is the lowest since his first year, ranking him 24th in the league, but the Redskins are still contending for the NFC East title, as they're one game back of the first-place Giants.

And in meeting the 1-5 Lions, I think McNabb knows how important wins against teams like this are right now. Washington, which is 2-1 on the road this season, is 4-1 against the NFC.

And checking the betting trends, the 'Skins are on winning runs of 5-0 as a road dog, 6-1 on the highway, 4-0 in October and 10-4 after a bye week.

The Lions, meanwhile, are mired in ATS slides of 6-13 at home and 2-5 when hosting teams that win on the road.

Take the points, and be sure to buy the half-point insurance on this game.

2♦ WASHINGTON

Scott Delaney

Washington (+3') at DETROIT

Yes, I know Detroit's Matthew Stafford helped the Lions end a 19-game losing streak with a 19-14 victory against the Washington Redskins. But that's even more reason to believe the Redskins will win this game - outright!

Washington doesn't want to be a team that loses to the lowly Lions two straight seasons, and with much better personnel from last season - not to mention much better coaching - the Redskins will be aiming to move to 5-3 on the year, to keep pace with the NFC East-leading Giants.

And it's real cut-and-dry for me in this one: can the Lions stop mobile Donovan McNabb? I don't thnk so.

While his numbers might be revealing his age, I say they're revealing how young this offense might be, and how much the chemistry will need to come together in the second half of the season.

Earlier this season Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick scrambled around and victimized Detroit's defense in a 35-32 win. Now, you add McNabb's stature and physical nature, and you have an agile brute who can heave the ball.

I can't be concerned too much about his inconsistency; I am more about the wins and losses, and McNabb has won more as a Redskin than he has lost.

Today he's faced with beating a team that has just one win, and I think he'll be smart enough to rally his troops in the right manner, and have them prepared to physically outmatch the lowly Lions.

Take the points, but don't be surprised to see the 'Skins win outright. And make note, if your book is offering a you a field goal in this game, buy the half point up to +3-1/2 points.

5♦ WASHINGTON

Stephen Nover

Washington at DETROIT (-3)

The Redskins are on the road for the second straight week after stealing one from the Bears last Sunday. Rip the Lions if you will, but they have shown marked improvement. The Redskins aren't very good either. They've been winning thanks to 17 takeaways, the second-most in the NFL.

The Lions have an upgraded defensive line, an improved secondary with the insertion of Alphonso Smith and Amari Spievey and dangerous skill position players. Matthew Stafford, Jahvid Best and Calvin Johnson are all healthy following a bye last week making Detroit very dangerous.

The Redskins are vulnerable through the air ranking 31st in pass defense. They also are 31st in total defense. Detroit rates 11th in scoring averaging 24.3 points. The Lions have accomplished that despite using backup quarterbacks since the second half of opening week. Needless to say, Stafford is a major upgrade on Shaun Hill and Drew Stanton.

Detroit is tied for the best pointspread mark in the NFL at 5-1. The last time the Lions were home they pounded the much-improved Rams, 44-6.

The Lions beat the Redskins by five points at Ford Field last year and are much better this season.

5♦ DETROIT

Chuck O'Brien

Green Bay at N.Y. JETS

Today, I’m releasing yet another 75 Dime winner – my fifth in a row if you include my 75 Dime MLB Game of the Year winner on the Padres over the Dodgers back on Sept 22 – and for this one we go to the Dolphins-Bengals matchup in Cincinnati. My NFL record speaks for itself, people. I’ll let you decide where to invest your money today!

For Sunday’s first of two complimentary NFL selections, take the Packers-Jets game OVER the total.

Gotta keep riding that Jets-OVER train until it comes to a screeching halt. Since its 10-9 loss to Baltimore in the season opener, the Jets have won five in a row and cleared the total in all five contests. They scored at least 24 points in every game while averaged an even 30 points per outing. Now New York comes out of its bye week and goes up against a Packers defense that has surrendered 20 points or more in four of its last five games. Three teams that aren’t nearly as good offensively as the Jets – Minnesota, Miami and Detroit – put up 24, 23 and 26, respectively, against Green Bay

Flip things around and put the ball in the Packers’ hands and what you’ve got is Aaron Rodgers (1,841 passing yards, 12 TDs in seven games) and a wealth of WR weapons matched up against the Jets’ shaky pass defense that’s allowing 229 passing ypg.

Not only have the Jets cleared the total in five straight games, but the over is 4-1 in their last five on artificial turf and 7-3 in their last 10 games as a home favorite of 3½ to 10 points. Green Bay, which eclipsed the total in last week’s 28-24 win over the Vikings, has seen the OVER go 4-1-1 in its last six on artificial turf and 7-3-1 in its last 11 as a road underdog. And only two of the Packers’ seven games this year have featured less than 41 combined points.

Two final points: 10 of last week 14 games cleared the posted total, and the weather at the Meadowlands is supposed to be near perfect.

3♦ OVER

Chuck O'Brien

Carolina at ST. LOUIS (-3)

I’ll admit that I’m a little worried about Carolina having the emotional edge in this game – the Panthers finally got in the win column last week with a spirited 23-20 come-from-behind home win over San Francisco, while St. Louis blew a 17-3 lead at Tampa Bay and suffered a last-minute 18-17 loss. But if the Rams can get over the disappointment that comes with such a devastating loss, then I really like their chances today.

St. Louis has won its last three home games against quality competition, pounding the Redskins 30-16 and the Seahawks 20-3 before holding off a Chargers squad (20-17) that’s infinitely more talented than St. Louis. Also the Rams, who have covered the spread in five of their last six contests (they were a three-point underdog at Tampa Bay last week), have only laid a turd once all season (44-6 defeat at Detroit), so they’ve been in every game.

The reason? Defense. Take away the 44-point debacle at the Lions (and a huge chunk of those points were the result of offensive turnovers and special teams blunders) and the Rams have allowed the following point totals: 17, 15, 3, 17 and 18. Well, what is Carolina’s biggest problem? Scoring! Prior to last week’s 23-point “outburst) against the Niners, the Panthers had been held to 18 points or less in nine straight regular season and preseason games this year.

In the end, I’ll take the Rams defense over the Panthers offense; I’ll take improving Rams rookie QB Sam Bradford over work-in-progress Carolina QB Matt Moore; and I’ll trust that if St. Louis can take care of business at home against the Chargers, Seahawks and Redskins, they can do it against the 1-5 Panthers.

4♦ ST. LOUIS

Craig Davis
Carolina at ST. LOUIS RAMS (-2')

Carolina's offense is built to run the football, but with the offensive line in shambles right now, I just don't see that happening. Plus, DeAngelo Williams is doubtful and probably won't play. That means the running game is in the hands of Jonathan Stewart today with little-to-no help from anyone else.

And please don't consider what we saw from Matt Moore as the norm. He faced one of the worst secondaries in the league and did most of his damage in the second half. Plus, David Gettis isn't going to be catching two TDs in many games and Brandon LaFell isn't going to be catching six passes again anytime soon.

As for the Rams, they are perfect at home, even beating the Washington Redskins like a drum. Rookie QB Sam Bradford has been up and down this year, but his QB rating at home is 35 points higher than on the road.

RB Steven Jackson underwent hand surgery on Tuesday, but said he's good enough to play today. Granted, he might not be 100% when this game commences but I'd take a 75% Jackson over a 100% Kenneth Darby anyday.

The Rams just don't lose at home and can actually keep pace with Seattle in the NFC West today. Imagine the sound of... "Welcome to the NFC West Champion St. Louis Rams". Amazing to think, but that's exactly where this season is headed. Take the Rams minus the small number as home favorites to beat the Panthers.

3♦ ST. LOUIS RAMS

Derek Mancini

Tennessee at SAN DIEGO (-4)

Titans are getting a lot of love from the public, but consider who they've played before you crown them king... A bad Dallas team, and even worse Jacksonville team, and a Vick-less Eagles team. Not exactly a mind-blowing resume, if you know what I mean! With Young now back from injury, I question whether this Tennessee offense can continue its red-hot ways - Young is a winner, but he doesn't threaten the Chargers defense like Collins does.

We know the Chargers are a better team that their record indicates, and they will finally prove it this afternoon at Qualcomm. San Deigo sits at # 1 in both total offense and total defense, and yet you wouldn't know it by their record. Their most recent loss to New England was especially painful, being that it was in front of the home fans, and saw a ton of sloppy turnovers do them in. I expect the Chargers to come out with a renewed focus this afternoon, and that's bad news for Titans-backers.

If there's one thing you have to be able to do in order to beat the Titans, it's defend the run. The Chargers have proven especially effective at slowing the run at Qualcomm, where they allow 56 rushing yards per game this season (on 2.8 yards per carry). Tennessee's defense on the other hand, has not been nearly as good when they travel, allowing 410 total yards per game away, and that includes 302 thru the air. When you consider Rivers is on pace to break Marino's single season yardage record, its safe to say the Titans secondary is in trouble today (even with Floyd/Naanee out, they still have enough weapons). Lay the points with San Diego over Tennessee Sunday.

3♦ SAN DIEGO

Michael Cannon

Tampa Bay (+3) at ARIZONA

Take the points with the Buccaneers on the road over the Cardinals.

I’ll gladly take the points here with the better team. I don’t care about the venue whatsoever.

Tampa is obviously a team on the rise. The Bucs are 4-2 this year and have shown that they can step it up and deliver when the pressure is on, such as last week when they rallied from a 14-point deficit to win, 18-17 over the Rams.

Arizona is a team trying to rebuild. The Cardinals went from having one of the most prolific offenses in the league with Kurt Warner at quarterback to the worst this year with Derek Anderson and Max Hall calling the signals.

Hall sustained a concussion last week and indicated that he is good to go for today, which could be good news…for the Bucs.

The rookie completed just 4 of 16 passes for 36 yards and an interception last week.

The Bucs have the better ground game, passing game and defense and should get it done here.

Take the points with Tampa.

3♦ TAMPA BAY

Stephen Nover

Tampa Bay at ARIZONA (-3)

No, I don't agree with Buccaneers coach Raheem Morris saying his team was the best in the NFC. Earth to Raheem: Your Buccaneers aren't even a playoff team.

The Cardinals will win the battle of the trenches both offensively and defensively. The Buccaneers have been one of the biggest surprises in the NFL so far winning four games, one more than all of last season.

But they lack skill position talent and have three starting offensive linemen out, including center Jeff Faine. This is really going to hurt the Buccaneers, who lack depth in their offensive line.

Second-year quarterback Josh Freeman has been getting a lot of good publicity for pulling out victories. Freeman, however, remains a work in progress. He hasn't thrown more than one touchdown pass since Week 2 and has yet to pass for 220 yards.

Tampa Bay ranks 30th in scoring, averaging just 16.3 points a game. The Bucs are 31st in run defense. Look for Beanie Wells to have a break-through game taking the pressure off rookie quarterback Max Hall.

The Buccaneers are an extremely young team. This is going to a very tough road setting for them.

3♦ ARIZONA

Bobby Maxwell
Seattle (+2) at OAKLAND

For my comp selection, Seattle has something going with new coach Pete Carroll as they sit atop the NFC West after last week’s 22-10 home win over the Cardinals. Now they are in Oakland against a Raiders’ squad that nobody is quite sure what to believe. I’ll grab the points and play Seattle in this matchup because they have the better all-around team and come in with a lot of confidence.

The Seahawks beat the Cardinals thanks to five field goals and just one offensive touchdown. The team struggles in the red-zone and struggle to keep QB Matt Hasselbeck upright as he was sacked five times last week. But the addition of RB Marshawn Lynch is going to prove to be a good one for the Seahawks.

Lynch had 89 yards against the Cardinals, including a 39-yarder, but it was the defense that dominated, allowing just 227 yards. Seattle has stuffed the run this season, allowing 95.5 yards per game and they’ll have to be strong today against the Raiders and RB Darren McFadden.

McFadden had 165 yards and three TDs in that 59-17 crushing of Denver last week. Seattle isn’t going to let him get going and they will try to get pressure on Oakland QB Jason Campbell. He completed 12-of-20 passes against the Broncos, but that came after going 8-for-21 for 83 yards and a 10.7 rating against San Francisco in the prior game. Nobody knows what to expect from Oakland.

The Raiders struggle to cover a number, on ATS skids of 16-36 at home, 6-20 as a favorite, 2-7 after a spread-cover and a stunning 0-11 as a home favorite.

I will grab the points but I am expecting Seattle to win this one outright, getting the job done with defense. Play the Seahawks.

3♦ SEATTLE

Joel Tyson

Minnesota (+6) at NEW ENGLAND

Well aware of the Brett Favre injury, and truth be told the Vikings would probably have a better shot at winning this game if Tarvaris Jackson were under center, as Jackson's mobility would at least give the porous New England defense another wrinkle to worry about.

Either way, the play is on the Vikes plus the points as both teams have been playing their games very close to the vest these days.

Minnesota's 3 games games since their bye week have been decided by a grand total of 20 points combined, and 4 of their 7 games this year have been decided by 5-points or less.

As for New England, both of their games since their bye week have produced 3-point wins.

The Patriots are just 14-15-1 against the spread their last 30 when laying points, so as you can see they are no "lock" when laying the wood.

Take the Vikings plus the points to hang inside this roomy impost.

4♦ MINNESOTA

Michael Cannon

Minnesota (+6) at NEW ENGLAND

Take the points with the Vikings over the Patriots.

I know the whole Brett Favre situation. I’m not concerned whether or not the old man plays or is knocked out of the game.

This is all about the Vikings defense and ground game stepping it up on the road.

The Patriots are certainly having a good year, but it’s not like they have the KO power this year that they had in years past.

New England is back to the dink and dunk passing game with the trade of Randy Moss, and speaking of the devil he’s back in town wearing the purple of the Vikings.

Believe me, Moss is going to be amped up for this game and when you have a motivated superstar it can make a difference.

The Patriots have an average defense at best and I expect Adrian Peterson to gouge them on the ground. That’s going to take an enormous amount of pressure off Favre and it’s going to keep the Vikings in the game.

Take the points with the Vikings as they stay within the number.

3♦ MINNESOTA

Posted : October 31, 2010 9:39 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chris Jordan

Golden State at L.A. LAKERS (-9')

With the start of the NBA season, several betting systems begin to kick in this week, it being the second of the eight-month season. One of them, which happens to be one of my favorites, takes place in this Lakers-Warriors game, and I'm laying the points with Los Angeles.

I know the Warriors are a surprising 2-0, but tonight they'll get a wake-up call against Los Angeles, which is in after a convinving win over the Suns in Phoenix, where I attended the game and was extremely impressed by what I saw.

The Lakers passed the ball well, they played unselfishly, they picked the right spots, Pau Gasol has accepted his temporary role as solo big man while Andrew Bynum is out... all in all this is a well-oiled machine, particularly in the paint.

Gasol had 21 points, nine assists and eight rebounds while Lamar Odom added 18 points, 17 boards and five assists. Both had double-doubles in the season-opener against the Rockets.

And since Los Angeles has scored at least 114 points eight times during its nine-game winning streak over Golden State, I think the Lakers will be in a comfort zone at home tonight, and should win this game comfortably, especially knowing the Warriors came into this season after giving up a league-worst 112.4 points per game last year.

Lay the chalk with the Laker

2♦ L.A. LAKERS

Posted : October 31, 2010 9:40 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bobby Maxwell

San Francisco at TEXAS (-135)

With Saturday's winner on the Rangers in Game 3 of the World Series, I'm now 7-1 with my last 8 freebies. Today, I have another winner from the World Series as I go with the Rangers again to win this one and even this series.

For my comp selection, Texas got that big first win on Saturday night behind the pitching of Colby Lewis and now look for them to draw even when right-hander Tommy Hunter (13-5, 3.86 ERA) delivers a solid pitching performance and gets some nice run support from the offense.

Hunter was great at home all season, going 7-1 with a 3.14 ERA. He’s pitched twice in the playoffs and been just mediocre in both outings, although he did strike out 7 Rays in just four innings. Hunter was very good down the stretch, allowing two runs or less in his final four regular-season starts.

San Francisco is going with lefty Madison Bumgarner (8-6, 3.06 ERA) who has been very similar to Hunter in the postseason with two average starts. He allowed three runs in 4.2 innings against the Phillies, but the Giants won the game 6-5.

The difference will be the Texas bats as they started to wake up in Game 3 and they will be rocking tonight. In their last 10 games, the Rangers are hitting .311 against left-handed pitching and they showed on Saturday when they got to lefty Jonathan Sanchez that they can hit southpaws.

The Giants are just 1-6 in interleague road games while the Rangers have been tough to beat with Hunter on the hill, on streaks of 15-5 with him at home, 17-7 in his last 24 overall and 5-1 at home against a team with a winning record. And they have won 14 of 17 at home against National League squads.

The Rangers are the play today as they draw even and turn this World Series into a three-game series now. Play Texas.

4♦ TEXAS

Posted : October 31, 2010 9:41 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dwayne Bryant

7-POINT TEASER

MIAMI +8.5 to SEATTLE +9.5

Miami plays well on the road, and they should be playing with somewhat of a chip on their shoulder after having last week's win stolen away by the officials. The Bengals generally cannot be trusted as a favorite, so adding another TD to Miami sure looks good to me.

Seattle on the road is a bit scary, but expecting Oakland to beat them by double digits a week after hanging 59 points on Denver is a bit much to ask. The Raiders may actually think they're better than they really are. The public may now suffer from the same delusion. The Raiders are vulnerable to the run, and Marshawn Lynch should take advantage. I expect Seattle to win the game outright, so grabbing near double digits looks like the perfect half to this teaser.

Posted : October 31, 2010 10:26 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

John Ryan

Seattle Seahawks vs. Oakland Raiders
Play: Oakland Raiders -2.5

5* graded play On Oakland Two proven Systems favor Oakland Look at the technical side of this game, Oakland is supported by a strong system that has produced a 22-4 ATS mark for 85% winners since 1983. Play on home teams scoring 23 to 27 points per game and after scoring 24 points or more in the first half last game and now facing a good defensive team allowing 14-18 points per game. The straight up record has produced a 23-3 winning mark since 1983. More impressive is that 56% of these plays have covered by seven or more points under scoring that Oakland can win this game by double digits. Here is a second system that has produced a 274-185 winning mark making 70.5 units since 1983. Play against road teams after covering the spread in 4 or 5 out of their last 6 games and is a team winning 60% or more of their games on the season. Game Situations favor Oakland The 59 point outburst has inflated the Raiders offensive stats and NFL rankings, but Seattle is just 2-11 ATS when playing good offensive teams scoring 24 or more points per game over the last three seasons. Seattle is also in a series of poor situations for this game. They sport an unimpressive 8-22 ATS mark off a win by 10 points or more over a division rival since 1992; 0-6 ATS off a home win over the last two seasons; 0-9 ATS (-9.9 Units) after playing a game at home over the last 2 seasons.

Posted : October 31, 2010 10:27 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dave Price

1 Unit on Buffalo Bills +7.5

Kansas City is an improved football team, but odds makers are giving the Chiefs a little too much respect with this line. The Chiefs are just 1-6-1 ATS in their last 8 games as a home favorite. Not only are the Bills are 10-4 ATS in their last 14 road games, but they are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 meetings in Kansas City. Hungry for their first win of the season, the Bills will take KC down to the wire to get the cover.

Posted : October 31, 2010 10:28 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Doug Upstone

Seattle Seahawks vs. Oakland Raiders
Play: Oakland Raiders -2½

The Oakland Raiders are actually fifth in the NFL in points scored at 25.6 points per game, thanks mostly to explosive running game that third in the NFL. Under Pete Carroll, Seattle has made dramatic improvement, especially on special teams and defense and they only permit 17.9 PPG.

The Raiders are off their unfathomable first half against Denver and home teams averaging 23-27 PPG, against a good defensive team (14-18 PPG), after scoring 24 points or more in the first half of last game are 22-4 ATS the last 27 years.

Posted : October 31, 2010 10:29 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Ben Burns

Miami @ New Jersey
PICK: New Jersey +9

his line seems a little on the high side to me. Yes, the Heat looked awfully good in dismantling Orlando. However, that was at home and it was a game that they were "fully motivated" for. Playing a very "early" road against the Nets may not be quite as "exciting" and the Heat may not get quite as "up" for it. Either way, laying this many points on the road is rarely easy. Note that the Nets are playing well and are off to a 2-0 start.

I'm well aware that this is an entirely different Miami team. That said, check this out. Looking at the last 17 meetings between these teams and we find that ALL 17 of them were decided by 10 points or less. Consider grabbing the points.

Posted : October 31, 2010 10:30 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

EZWINNERS

Buffalo Bills +7

The Chiefs are 4-2 so far this season, but they are very fortunate to be in that position. Kansas City is not loaded with talent and asking them to win by more than a touchdown is quite a task. Buffalo came up short against the Ravens last week, but the offense led by Ryan Fitzatrick put up more then 30 points against a very good Baltimore defense. Kansas City is a very young team and young teams tend to play well as an underdog, but sometimes struggle when they are expected to win. Winless teams after week four have traditionally been a strong play against the spread and prior to last weeks cover against Jacksonville, the Chiefs had failed to cover six straight times as a favorite. Take the points.

Posted : October 31, 2010 10:31 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

OC DOOLEY

Vikings +6

Of course the big story is the health of legendary quarterback Bret Favre who according to the very latest reports WILL be making his 292nd consecutive regular start this late afternoon high profile contest despite having a pair of small fractures in his ankle. When taking the practice field on Friday, Favre was actually pleased after testing his mobility on that ankle (Favre stunned about his sudden improvement) and the best news for him and the Vikings are that they are facing a shaky defensive opponent who has registered only 12 sacks for the entire season. Not only has a very young New England stop-unit had problems harassing opposing signal callers, the secondary comes into this contest with an extremely low (#30) ranking. One would think that Randy Moss is going to have a field day against that secondary, especially since this is his first game back in New England since getting traded. The biggest beneficiary of Moss now being on the Vikings roster has been Percy Harvin who again is making explosive big plays look routine as the coaching staff gets the ball into his hands as a runner, receiver and return man on special teams. While the Patriots will have to pay much attention to both Moss and Harvin, statistically Adrian Peterson is ranked #2 among all league rushers. It is easy to see why the oddsmakers decided to inflate today’s line considering that New England (5-1) has a stellar record and that quarterback Tom Brady has reeled off 23 consecutive regular season home wins. But it must be pointed out that home streak was nearly snapped a couple of weeks ago when New England was forced “deep” into overtime before finally disposing of Baltimore. Last week the Patriots played out on the west coast which can be draining for a squad used to operating in the eastern time zone. In my mind Minnesota (2-4) last Sunday Night was in an almost impossible situation as Green Bay had “double revenge” going against Bret Favre who dominated his former team twice in 2009. Late this afternoon the Vikings have “additional points” to work with in the line and they have a MOTIVATED Randy Moss who had 50 touchdown receptions in 52 games during his successful stint with the Patriots. New England ended up replacing Moss on the roster by re-acquiring Deion Branch who comes into today’s game at NOT 100% healthy as he is dealing with a hamstring injury. Last Sunday we saw a rather large streak continue as Tennessee defeated an NFC opponent for a 12th consecutive time. Today there is another streak on the line and this run may come as a complete shock to all of you. In the long and successful run of head coach Bill Belichick, New England is a stunning 0-9 ATS/HOME when facing an opponent from the NFC North!

Posted : October 31, 2010 10:40 am
Page 3 / 3
Share: