Roz's Thursday, February 8, 2018, Free Pick

02/08 07:05 PM NBA (507) CHARLOTTE HORNETS VS (508) PORTLAND TRAILBLAZERS

Take : Blazers

Posted : February 8, 2018 11:53 am
(@shazman)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Tommy Brunson

Comp play for Thursday is the Panthers plus the points against the Tigers.

Clemson is a perfect 12-0 straight up at home this year, and no doubt they move that mark to 13-0, but this is a rather larger number they are asking Brad Brownell's team, as the Tigers are still trying to figure out life without star forward Donte Grantham who is now out for the season with a knee injury.

Clemson is just 4-6 against the spread their last 10 games, and they are laying a rather large sum against a Pittsburgh team that has been able to sneak inside of the roomy imposts in 5 of their last 6 games in ACC action.

The Tigers schedule features revenge games against Florida State, Duke and Virginia Tech over their next 3 contests, so look for Clemson to do just enough to get the comfortable win, but not the cover laying the big wood at Littlejohn on Thursday night.

Panthers push their cover mark to 6-1 as they stay inside of the number tonight.

Take the points.

1* PITTSBURGH

Posted : February 8, 2018 1:43 pm
(@shazman)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Jack Brayman

My free play run is now at 28-17-1.

Laying the chalk with the Vermont Catamounts over the Albany Great Danes for my free play tonight.

In the second meeting between these two America East Conference powerhouses, Vermont will bring a 12-game win streak into Albany, not to mention a perfect 9-0 conference mark. The Catamounts are playing some of their best basketball, and could very well be on en route to a historic season. They've won seven straight on the road, and also bring along a 30-game regular-season conference winning streak, dating back to 2016. They've won their last 28 matchups, including the postseason, against AEC opponents.

Vermont won the first meeting, 61-50, and in the two games since have knocked off Binghamton and Maryland-Baltimore County by an average margin of 21 points.

Yes, this one is on Albany's home court, but the Great Danes are 1-7 ATS in their last eight at home.

I'll take the best team in the conference to win and cover on the road.

3* VERMONT

Posted : February 8, 2018 1:44 pm
(@shazman)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Jeff Benton

Your Thursday freebie is the Celtics and the Wizards to do what they normally do when they meet, and that is to play Over the total.

Series numbers show an Over in the first meeting this season back on Christmas Day, as 4 of the last 5 played between the teams have landed Over the total. The Over is also on a 6-2 overall run the last 8 times the Eastern Conference rivals have met.

The Celtics comes into D.C. having played 4 of their last 6 roadies Over the total, while the Wizards have been riding an offensive trend of late with Overs in 10 of their last 14 games contested.

Go ahead and look for another Over between the C's and the 'Zards this Thursday night.

4* BOSTON-WASHINGTON OVER

Posted : February 8, 2018 1:45 pm
(@shazman)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Eric Schroeder

A quick glance on paper, and you may think the Charlotte Hornets are in a good spot heading into Portland to challenge the Trail Blazers. But I'm laying the small number with the home team tonight, as I am seeing a situational spot for the Blazers to snap their losing skid and get a much-needed win and cover.

Charlotte, which has failed to cover eight of its last nine in Portland, has allowed an average of 114.4 points over its last five games. The Hornets are playing their third road game in five nights after splitting back-to-back road games in Phoenix and Denver on Sunday and Monday, respectively.

Charlotte looked good in a 115-110 win over the Suns, but on tired legs and in the rarified air, lost in Denver 121-104 the next night. And even though the Hornets have had two nights off, I don't think they'll be ready for a pissed off Portland team that has lost three straight.

The Trail Blazers return after being swept on the road, in Toronto, Boston and Detroit. They've also been off the past two nights, and will be revitalized for a spot win here, before heading back out for a road game in Sacramento tomorrow night.

It's a sandwich game, and it normally would be dangerous. But I like Portland to bounce back here.

3* TRAIL BLAZERS

Posted : February 8, 2018 1:45 pm
(@shazman)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Chris Jordan

This one won't even be close tonight, as my free play is on the ice, with the Minnesota Wild on the puck line against the visiting Arizona Coyotes.

Minnesota steps to the ice with a 18-4-4 record, while the Yotes are just 6-16-6 on the highway. And this being Arizona's third road game in six nights, after losing in Los Angeles and Winnipeg, I don't see it keeping up with the high-flying Wild. The Coyotes have lost four in a row and nine of 11.

Minnesota comes into this one after an impressive 6-2 road win at St. Louis, using six unanswered goals after the Blues scored 45 seconds into the game. Those six goals matched a season-high, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Wild match that tonight, that's how bad Arizona is this season.

Minnesota owns an 11-game point streak (9-0-2) against Arizona since Jan. 9, 2014 - the longest point streak in Wild history against any opponent. Minnesota is also in on a 4-0-1 home win streak against the Coyotes in Saint Paul, dating back to Oct. 23, 2014.

The Wild do a lot of things right in their home arena, their special teams is stellar - they rank second in the NHL with an 88.9 percent penalty kill success rate (72-of-81) on home ice - and they simply outclass this Arizona team.

Look for the blowout win tonight, as Minnesota will own this wire-to-wire.

2* WILD

Posted : February 8, 2018 1:46 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: