1 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

UFC 124 Picks & Predictions: St. Pierre vs. Koscheck
By Drew Sharper

The main event of UFC 124 on Saturday is Georges St. Pierre defending his welterweight championship against Josh Koscheck. Here is a look at my pick for the winner.

UFC 124 takes place from the Bell Center in Montreal, Quebec, Canada and will air live on Pay-Per-View at 10PM ET. Here is a look at both fighters and a pick for which man will leave with the title.

Georges St. Pierre (20-2) -450

GSP has been one of the most dominant fighters in all of MMA as he has won eight straight fights and is set to defend his welterweight championship for the fifth time. St. Pierre mixes kick boxing an muay thai striking with explosive wrestling and good takedown defense in his own right. GSP will be looking to show better technique than Koscheck on his feet while mixing in takedowns and avoiding the takedown attempts of his opponent. St. Pierre hasn’t been finishing his opponents as of late and feels pressure to do it this time. St. Pierre hasn’t faced a wrestler with the talent of Koscheck in a few years.

Josh Koscheck (17-4) +325

Koscheck has won three straight bouts to earn the title shot. He already has lost a unanimous decision to St. Pierre back in 2007, but he has improved his overall skills since that time. Koscheck will have more power in his strikes, but lack better technique and leave himself open with wild swings. His wrestling is strong, but you could argue that St. Pierre’s is better. Submission skills also favor GSP as does experience, as Koscheck has never had to fight for 25 minutes in his career. With his aggressive striking style, Koscheck could tire himself early if he is too eager to go for the takedown.

Who To Pick?

I think Koscheck’s line is a bit too large, but I still think he is unlikely to win. He has the package to win this fight, but tends to lack the mental focus and composure that St. Pierre will show. At this level, one mistake means everything, an I expect Koscheck to make the key mistakes that will allow St. Pierre to win by submission in the fourth round. FREE

PICK – GEORGES ST. PIERRE -450

Posted : December 10, 2010 2:08 pm
Share: